Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Question about oil changing interval

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amrhamed is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Question about oil changing interval

Hello all members ,

i have a question confusing me a lot , if i used " Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil " for honda civic 2000 can i change the oil after 15000 miles ??????

Best Regards
Old 05-06-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about oil changing interval

after 15000 miles
Depends.

Just because the bottle might suggest you can, does not necessarily mean you should.
Old 05-06-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Would pay good money to see the state of the oil after that many miles.

I would be freaked out going 7500.
The following users liked this post:
Flocker (09-03-2022)
Old 05-06-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Just my opinion but my first new car was a 69 Firebird Convertible. Kept it for 25+ years. Changed the oil every 4 months. Had .005 wear in the top of the cylinders at around 100K. (went into it because of frozen lifters) Went into my 85 Civic at 100K because of a broken camshaft. Cylinders didn't even have a top ridge and looked like new. Changed the oil ever 10 months or so as I recall. Averaged around 7-8K on the oil. My last two news ones 05 CRV and 04 Tacoma, I change every year. CRV gets about 10K on the oil. Truck only has 50K on it, so it's lucky to get 4K on it. CRV still runs like new at 90K I change the Civic when it tells me too on that maintenance monitor because it drive the grandson crazy. It and the CRV get free oil and state inspections for life. I seriously doubt once a year and or 10 K will hurt them. I been testing them since 1964 but I do live in a fairly warm area and drive them easy.. Just changed the bike and truck. Truck's filter is a royal messy pain.
Old 05-07-2015
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I work at a Mobil 1, It's perfect with very little burn up to 10,000km or 6213 miles.

Mobil 1 extended performance is rated to 20,000km or 12,427 miles.

The thing is both of those are the max mileage for new cars. I've seen new toyota hybrids run 15,000km on Mobil 1 and the oil still looks mint, but our older cars would cook that oil of the stick if we ran them that long. If you beat on your car you will most likely want to swap early. As well most oil filters are full at 8,000 - 10000 km.

I guess you could swap your filter twice.
The following users liked this post:
Flocker (09-03-2022)
Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

amrhamed is an unknown quantity at this point

ok from where i can find the CAPACITIES of fluid , i mean how many qts should i fill in engine , transmission etc.
Old 05-27-2015
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

You go by level. Not amount. However you need to buy enough to do that plus an extra quart to have just in case you need to top off between changes. Read your owners manual on how to check transmission. Honda's are different then most automatics. Be sure to only use Honda's transmission fluid in the transmission. Use there power steering fluid also. No substitutes on theses two. You need about 3 quarts for transmission. 4.5 for the engine. (get 4 and 6..but use the dip sticks) The amount are in the back of the owner's manual under technical. You can download a copy from the Honda site if you do not have a hard copy.

Last edited by RIPSAW; 05-27-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amrhamed
ok from where i can find the CAPACITIES of fluid , i mean how many qts should i fill in engine , transmission etc.
A 2000 Civic should take roughly 3.5 US quarts engine oil (with filter)

and Auto trans will usually hold roughly 2.5 quarts for a single drain-and-fill.

When you check automatic trans fluid on any (real) Honda, the engine is supposed to be OFF.
As in shut the engine off and jump out and check trans fluid within 90 seconds.

I do my work on a hoist, car is fairly level during service..
If you have the front of your car jacked up in the air to drain fluids, this might change the amounts needed to refill by a bit.

HTH
Old 06-01-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mac25
I've seen new toyota hybrids run 15,000km on Mobil 1 and the oil still looks mint
you cant really go by looks though,

just because an oil "looks clean", that doesn't mean its in great shape,

it doesn't matter how good of quality the oil is to begin with, it will still get contaminated by piston ring "blow by" and moisture just as much as any other oil would,

i am a believer of frequency over quality, as long as the oil is approved,