Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

OBD 1457 code

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
darrenjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
OBD 1457 code

Hey. I've been having an issue with my 1999 Civic DX flagging this code for a while now. I know it's an evap leak which I was told was caused by the shut valve on the vapour canister (the one in the engine bay) I've replaced this and cleared the code but it comes back in a few days. Today I noticed a fuel line leak under the car and I wondered if this is a secondary cause of the evap leak fault. I know the fault triggering the OBD code isn't the fuel filler cap because it hisses when it's opened releasing the pressure. Would a fuel line leak like this also cause this code?
Old 11-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OBD 1457 code

Originally Posted by darrenjohn
Hey. I've been having an issue with my 1999 Civic DX flagging this code for a while now. I know it's an evap leak which I was told was caused by the shut valve on the vapour canister (the one in the engine bay) I've replaced this and cleared the code but it comes back in a few days.
Other things can cause the code too.
It's hard to just point at one thing and declare "that's it!", without a lot of testing.
The bulletin linked below is something I have done several of, and even had to replace a few computers for it too. It can be hard to figure out if it isn't shorted at the time you test it and you don't have a scanner that can activate the valve on command.

Give this bulletin a read:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...iag/03-001.pdf <---Clicky!

Note: Yeah, it's an Acura bulletin, because I couldn't find the Honda version quickly on the net.

Also: I'm in the US, and you aren't? I think the cars are nearly the same, for these particular parts anyway.

Today I noticed a fuel line leak under the car and I wondered if this is a secondary cause of the evap leak fault......

Would a fuel line leak like this also cause this code?
Raw fuel leaking from the rusted rotten pressure line by the drivers rear wheel doesn't normally cause an EVAP leak code, but that's definitely a problem that needs fixed ASAP!

I know the fault triggering the OBD code isn't the fuel filler cap because it hisses when it's opened releasing the pressure.
P1457 has to do with leakage within the canister half of the system, not the gas tank half....So a gas cap problem should cause a P1456 code.

HTH
Old 11-12-2014
Registered!!

darrenjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured I was grasping at straws about the 1457 code. I'll keep investigating. I've replaced the vapour canister (the one located in the engine bay) and the solenoid valve for it. My searching indicates the code means a small leak. Just because it's the cheapest way to check I'll try replacing the gas cap. It definitely couldn't hurt to get a new one anyway. As for fuel lines, yeah that I'll be getting repaired asap. I only noticed that Monday after I replaced my fuel filter.
Old 11-12-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My searching indicates the code means a small leak.
That's not what it means.
Re-read the last line of my previous reply.

Did you click the link for the bulletin?

Just because it's the cheapest way to check I'll try replacing the gas cap.
Cheaper yet is understanding the definition for the P1457 code.

P1457 cannot be caused by a gas cap.
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

stockhatch is an unknown quantity at this point

****hey-- ive got the same problem on my 98 cx, replaced my leaking main line and return line and fuel filter, then evap code came on weeks later, p1457-smallleak, i never replaced the vent line tho... so now i took the shut off valve on cannister in front and tested that with a 9v bat it works fine and isnt leaking, replaced gas cap which is'nt the issue, the bipass and valve set, SOLENOIDs in the rear i tested and are good.... so anyone know if a leak in the main vent line is the problem..
Old 05-17-2015
Registered!!

stockhatch is an unknown quantity at this point

the shutoff valve is on the cannister, the bipass solenoid next to the tank on 98 dx/cx hatches