Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

pump or relay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civicarts is an unknown quantity at this point
pump or relay?

I have a 92 civic hatchback. It was running fine when I last left it 3 years ago. Of course it's been a long time, but now back and trying to get it to crank. I can't seem to get anyone local to find time to help. I've replaced gas, battery, spark plugs, distributor rotary button, oil change and filter. The starter and everything seems to try but no full start. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the fuel pump and relay as even suggested talking with a friend. So how can I tell which I need to deal with. Any help would be greatly appreciate before I spend more time and money on something not needed fixed. Lastly if I need to replace the pump, should I go with a performance fuel pump? Suggested brand and best place to order from? I got a b16a for now but no big mods to it yet. Thanks
Old 11-04-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pump or relay?

Pop a fuel line loose from the filter and have someone turn the key on briefly. If the pump runs it should spray fuel out.

Are the plugs wet with fuel? If they are wet then it's getting fuel into the engine. If dry, then not.

Then see if the injectors are clicking? Maybe they are stuck from sitting.
Maybe you have a main relay shot.
Maybe the ECM can't turn the main relay on.
Voltmeter checks at the tank connection should give the answer about if the pump is getting powered up.
Old 11-07-2014
Registered!!

Thanks, sounds like I got a few things to check out. Can anyone advise and possibly show where to check for voltage on relay and pump?
Old 11-07-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Pull the back seat up, there should be an access cover for the pump and wiring.
Old 11-07-2014

There's a couple different versions of the main relay. I can't tell which would be in that car. Here's a very basic

Old 11-08-2014
Registered!!

I pulled the relay and looks like one on the left. Without a number 4 pin. But its been so long since i was in electronics class, so I'm gonna sound like a fool but how can i check it? I know thiis. Bad but pretty much need a step by step, hold my hand thing here lol. I just still dont see what be problem when it was fine before. Just been years not cranked :/
Old 11-08-2014

#1) did the fuel spray out when the line was loosened at the filter and key cycled?
If it did, then the pump runs, the main relay may be ok, and your problem is something completely different?

But its been so long since i was in electronics class, so I'm gonna sound like a fool but how can i check it?
^^^Maybe you don't need to do anything yet--See the first line above^^^
I know thiis.
It's like falling off a bicycle, once you learn you aren't supposed to forget it!

I do almost all testing on live circuits, by backprobing the connector. I do very little out of circuit.
First step is getting a wiring diagram and see how it all works.

Find the pump feed terminal at the relay, it supplies B+ to the pump when the relay is turned on...... I'd connect a test light on that terminal and leave the light on it for now (I have several test lights)

I just still dont see what be problem when it was fine before. Just been years not cranked :/
Smack the bottom of the tank a few times, maybe the pump motor is stuck from sitting.

But if fuel sprayed under pressure like in the first line of this reply, the pump is not stuck.