Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Temperature gauge fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amysylvester is an unknown quantity at this point
Temperature gauge fluctuating

I have a 2004 civic automatic, I've had this problem since August, on and off. My temp gauge will raise quickly, and recently stays on H for awhile, but it is cold outside and I don't believe it could heat up that quickly to overheat. It used to fluctuate between C and 3/4 to H. Also, my car won't be heated up enough to even blow hot air when the heater is on so I don't get how it could overheat. No engine lights come on, no smoke or smell when it goes to H, and I checked under the hood and it wasn't hot. I've had the thermostat and fan switch replaced twice, radiator checked out, several diagnostics, one place told me it was the head gasket, another checked it and said it wasn't. I don't know what to do, it does this every day now and I'm scared to drive my car but I feel like it is not actually overheating but possibly electrical? Input greatly appreciated
Old 02-25-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Temperature gauge fluctuating

Here's a novel idea:
Troubleshoot the gauge, its sending unit, and its wiring.

What does a scanner say the engine temp is, while the gauge is acting up?
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

If it really IS overheating at this point you have a bad headgasket.

You need a better mechanic.
Old 02-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amysylvester is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
If it really IS overheating at this point you have a bad headgasket.

Thanks for the input it is appreciated, the thing is I've been to two different repair shops and a honda dealership, who have all told me different things. We're going to test the actual temp tomorrow
Old 02-28-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic

I can't believe I'm not the one that said this.
Old 02-28-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Heck, I am not even a mechanic, and I can figure it out with a scanner and some time.

If it really is overheating, your coolant tank should be overflowing everywhere. If its not then chances are you have a bad gauge/wiring.