Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

How to Read Trans Dipstick

Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
How to Read Trans Dipstick

Yes, I know the fluid is supposed to be on the upper mark of the dipstick and that the engine needs to be warm and running.

I've done the change a few times, with little trouble, I can't seem to get an accurate read on the dipstick this time though and its driving me nuts. Working outside in the snow today, I actually drained the fluid out and poured it completely back in to try and get a more accurate read, I still don't feel confident though. Does anyone have any tips?
Old 11-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: How to Read Trans Dipstick

I make sure the level is dead center between the upper and lower mark.

drive around the block a couple times and warm the motor
Park flat...
Pop the hood and pull the dipstick, wipe it with a paper towel
Put it back in all the way as far as it will go..
Pull it out, wherever the mark is, is where your oil level really is.
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Yup, thats exactly what I do..

But, the whole dipstick seems to be covered with a sheen of oil. Unlike the engine dipstick, I can't seem to discern any clear line.
Old 11-21-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you have too much oil -shrugs-

But the again, my engine dipstick does that too, dunno
Old 11-21-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

trans fluid has to be fully warmed up. it can take a while in winter. drive in lower gears and at least 30 mins if not longer. if i drive too little, reading is not accurate. it takes the trans a long time to really get to operating temp. oh if you mean getting a reading that you can see the line, you have to be super quick with the dipstick. like stick in and pull out within 1 second. if you leave it too long you will just have fluid splash everywhere. also make sure stick is completely dry with a cotton cloth, not papertowel.
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Okay, I usually leave it in for a second then I pull it out. My friend, whose also pretty experienced, just tried reading it and was having trouble as well. Leaving it in for a couple seconds might be why.
Would the car being in P, N, or a drive gear affect the reading?
Old 11-21-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it should be in park when you check it.
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Thats what I thought, but my friend suggested neutral since we were having trouble getting a clear reading. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I make sure the level is dead center between the upper and lower mark.

drive around the block a couple times and warm the motor
Park flat...
Pop the hood and pull the dipstick, wipe it with a paper towel
Put it back in all the way as far as it will go..
Pull it out, wherever the mark is, is where your oil level really is.
whoa WTF??!! ur still around triz???!!!