Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Can any of you fellas help a gal out?

Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
princesstalufa is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can any of you fellas help a gal out?

Hi-
I've got a 2004 Honda Civic, automatic, taking it in for a new timing belt/water pump, its at 75,000 miles (I've got the $dollas$ to do it now, so why not....thanks dad!)....wondering what else to get done. The boyfriend says transmission fluid...any suggestions? Yes, I've read the manual. Oh, and my check engine light is on...(just kidding ). Thank you vuuurrryyy much-I just need some time-saving, reliable advice from people who don't want my money, and who know Hondas!
Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all
Re: Can any of you fellas help a gal out?

who told you to get the timing belt and water pump done at 75,000? Isnt it supposed to be 100,000? Transmission fluid change is always good.
Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

no you can go to 90,000 miles then change the belt and water pump and timing belt tensioner etc etc. and as for the auto tranny fluid do the proper drain and fill as recommended by honda which is drain flud fill drive around do that three times then do a final drain and fill then after that do one drain and fill every time you change your oil.
Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

^ who has time to do that? Plus ATF aint cheap - The average driver is not gonna do that. I'm going to go on a limb and say that you'll be okay with just draining it and refilling after a certain interval. May it be 30,000 miles or 10,000 miles - depending on you.

Last edited by kcari; 03-15-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

Protan988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like they said Timing belt and water pump can wait till 100,000 miles. Change your tranny fluid for sure. Check your filters (Engine air filter and Cabin air filter). If you havent changed your spark plugs yet, it would be a good idea.
Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kcari
^ who has time to do that? Plus ATF aint cheap - The average driver is not gonna do that. I'm going to go on a limb and say that you'll be okay with just draining it and refilling after a certain interval. May it be 30,000 miles or 10,000 miles - depending on you.
if you like driving honda automatic transmissions have problems and changing the ATF on a automatic is just like changing the oil a monkey could do it.
Old 03-15-2010
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

flush brake fluid and coolant alignment wheel balance and rotation.
Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

i think ur missing my point here. ATF are 10 dollars a bottle - what your asking requires 4 times the amount? Not all honda autos have problems- it's not as big as some people think. Only the 01-02 civics have had some problems, but it's definitely not as wide spread as the internet makes it. I'm pretty sure Honda doesn't recommend anyone to fill and refill the transmission 3-4 times like that- it's just not practical money and time wise. I can't imagine the common person coming to the dealership or shop back and forth multiple times like that. Sorry but a simply drain and refill is all you need.

Last edited by kcari; 03-15-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

i think your missing the point it specifically says in the honda manual to drain in fill 4 times to properly flush out the old fluid and ATF is $7.00 at the dealership $5.00 online.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

speedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of light

^hmm.. need about 3 quarts.. 3 x $7 = $21 for one drain and fill. $21 x 4 = $84!?! crazy.. i'd never do that. I'd just go with a drain and fill.. once.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

its not a matter of opinion it what the manual says is proper.i think thats a small price to pay to keep the transmission in good working order.
Old 03-16-2010
^Warranty voider

Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

think im going to go with GM syncromesh ATF in my MT when the time comes
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

96civicman is an unknown quantity at this point

since your going to get some stuff done on the car your best bet is to get it all done at once and save the trouble. tell them you want a complete check up on the car. alignments are always good even just to get a alignment check. your car is a four wheel alignment witch it might be more money. but also get the tires, axles, coolant, transmisson and so on checked.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

the timing belt and water pump can wait till 90-100k. I would just change the tranny fluid. If your stock height you or your bf can drain the tranny fluid without even jacking up the car. You just need a 3/8 ratchet, it near the passenager side. Just clean the magnetic drain bolt.

Just refill on the tranny dip stick side.

I changed my gf's tranny fluid in her rsx without jacking up the car. I say it'll take 15-20min tops.

I do recommend honda atf though.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 03-16-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

where i'm from ATF from honda is 10 dollars plus 8% tax. Shipping online would probably be the same...
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

where i'm from ATF from honda is 10 dollars plus 8% tax. Shipping online would probably be the same...
its $5 online

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html

TO the op, since you only have 75k. You don't need to do a flush, a change is fine. Probably do a flush at 100k.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

96civicman is an unknown quantity at this point

if you have the money you shoud get it done. but like the guys say if you can do it your self you would save alot of money. but i would get the timing belt checked and if the car isnt over heating your fine the water pump is fine but if you fell you need to change it change it don't wait
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
its $5 online

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html

TO the op, since you only have 75k. You don't need to do a flush, a change is fine. Probably do a flush at 100k.
plus 12.56 shipped with 1.38 tax.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

plus 12.56 shipped with 1.38 tax.
dude, just go to carson honda. Its like $7, I think its even $7 at cerritos. I did this with jon and regis last summer, its not $10 a qt.
Old 03-16-2010
^Warranty voider

i think he's in vietnam? cost buku dorlla. shipping take rong time.
Old 03-16-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Running Riot
i think he's in vietnam? cost buku dorlla. shipping take rong time.
I know him IRL. He lives in cali. No clue why he puts vietnam.
Old 03-17-2010
^Warranty voider

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I know him IRL. He lives in cali. No clue why he puts vietnam.
to be exotic?
Old 03-18-2010
Registered!!

princesstalufa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate the advice
Old 03-18-2010
Registered!!

oc honda in westerminster and costa mesa are both 10 dollars with tax- I just bought some 2 weeks ago. I don't know about last summer, probably prices went up, and doesn't seem practical to drive to carson for fluids when there's a dealer down the street.
anyways my point is that even online shipping will still be compariable to buying it in person with fluids. you think its a deal, but it's more of a hassle to wait around for it. anyways the point is if its 7 or 10 its still expensive to refill 3-4 times.

Last edited by kcari; 03-18-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2010
Registered!!

oc honda in westerminster and costa mesa are both 10 dollars with tax- I just bought some 2 weeks ago. I don't know about last summer, probably prices went up, and doesn't seem practical to drive to carson for fluids when there's a dealer down the street.
anyways my point is that even online shipping will still be compariable to buying it in person with fluids. you think its a deal, but it's more of a hassle to wait around for it. anyways the point is if its 7 or 10 its still expensive to refill 3-4 times.
the other poster is right though. You do need to refill and drain at least 3 times to completely change all the fluid out of the tq converter. Since you don't get all the old fluid from the tq converter when you drain it, so the new fluid mixes with the old fluid.

You just don't need to do it on a car with less then 100k on it. On older cars its good to do it at least once, then changes are ok in order to preserve the longevity of the tranny.
Old 03-18-2010
Registered!!

thats what i did at 90,000 miles i had mine pressure flushed at a used honda/acura dealer then every oil change i drain it and fill it once while im under there but i use amsoil so i go longer with a oil change.