Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Replacing O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engineer30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing O2 Sensor

Hi!

I have a Honda Civic 2000 DX.
I'm trying to replace my O2 Sensor but first, I need to remove two bolts from the heat shield. Anyboyd knows what wrench size I need to remove them? I can't find the right size.

Thanks,
Engineer
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Ironliftr3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Replacing O2 Sensor

Just did this last week, although mine is a 98. Pretty sure it was a 12mm.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Thank you! Any recommendation to loose a stuck bolt?
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Use liquid wrench or something like that. Do you really have to remove the heat sheild? They sell O2 sensor removers so u can do it easier without removing the heat sheild. BTW just so you know the bolts ARE going to snap if your talking about the catalyctic converter heatsheild. Mine did.
Old 10-29-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah just get an o2 sensor socket with a cut in the side for wires to fit thro.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Staninator is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Engineer30
Thank you! Any recommendation to loose a stuck bolt?
For the bolts on cats and headers, it will be very hard to remove them. Especially from the cat back. They rust over the years and the only way to remove them without breaking them or cutting the pipes is by taking it you a muffler shop and having them torch the bolts and them impact them off. If you have the equipment yourself you can do it too. The o2 sensor bolt may be rusted on there well but I don't recommend torching the sensor... You can try some type of rust lube otherwise try the socket gearbox is talking about.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

If the sensor is bad does it really matter? They usually come off easy since they were greased from the factory. The sheild bolts however will probably still break even if you torch them because they are so weak and small.
Old 10-30-2009
Registered!!

Hi Guys... I need to replace the front sensor (I got a code P0135) .. so, do you think that I don't need to remove the heat shield? I have a o2 sensor wrench.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Engineer30
Old 10-30-2009
Registered!!

As said before you do not need to remove the heat sheild. Simply use the tool, the tool is able to get in there even though the O2 sensor is recessed. I remember doing it on my car. It was really easy. I broke one of the heat sheild bolts on my car before I decided I needed the O2 sensor tool. Its super ****ing annoying, now when I idle its so loud from the vibrations in the heat sheild. I reccomend you dont mess with the heat sheild unless you have new bolts or want to remove it completely.

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 10-30-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2009
Registered!!

Like I said, I just did this last weekend on my 98 DX. I absolutely HAD to remove the heat shield, no way I would have gotten the O2 sensor tool around the sensor without removing the shield. I did borrow the correct tool, with the slot for the wires, from a local auto store. Even then, there was a minimum amount of 'turn space' available.

My heat shield bolts came out relatively easily, but my o2 sensor was a total bitch. I warmed the engine for a few minutes, soaked the sensor in WD40 (all I had), tapped it with a hammer a dozen or so times, and cranked the hell out of it until it broke free. The limited space is what made it the most difficult. By the way, I'm a weightlifter/bodybuilder, and by no means have a 'girls grip'....sometimes a 500 lb deadlift comes in handy outside of the gym...lol.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

01-05 civic is easy with just the o2 socket. and you prolly need to jack up the front to get under there. shouldve used a breaker bar or cheater pipe on the end of the socket. i broke mine free in two tries and i have girly arms. you dont need muscle if you use a long enough pipe.
Old 10-30-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
01-05 civic is easy with just the o2 socket. and you prolly need to jack up the front to get under there. shouldve used a breaker bar or cheater pipe on the end of the socket. i broke mine free in two tries and i have girly arms. you dont need muscle if you use a long enough pipe.
Didn't have a breaker bar, just my standard 8 inch socket wrench. Breaker bar is on the list of 'to buy' items. And you're absolutely right, I'd take brains, and the correct tools, over brawn any day. But eh, we work with what we have..lol!
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

just get a $2 exhaust pipe to put on the ratchet.