Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r8dR supeRstaR is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy idle problem

well, first off im new to this site..and the problem im having with my 04 honda civic si hatch is that my idle bounces from 900 to a little above 2k rpm and after about 5 to 10 minutes with the car running, it'll start bouncing like it's red lining at 2k rpm..im thinking it's my idle air control valve..but im new to the newer year hondas..well, can anyone help me out..and if it is my iacvalve then where is it located, and what are the procedures that i have to do to take it out and clean it??? lmk thanks
Old 02-28-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: idle problem

could be that. could be a vacuum leak as well.
Old 02-28-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can try that, the iac is usually bolted to the throttle body and has coolant lines feeding into it. sounds more like a bad tps which means youll need a whole new throttle body.
Old 03-02-2009
Registered!!

blkcoupe1201 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im having the same problem with my 00 civic ex. It will bounce at 2k like its hitting revlimiter. I changed the idle control value and it stoped for a week then started back. I took off my TB and cleaned it still nothing. Im lost I have no idea what it could be.
Old 03-02-2009
Registered!!

Yaj00003 is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be a bad MAP sensor or a bad 02 sensor one of those or go to a autozone and look for a trouble code....
Old 03-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

a bad o2 sensor can cause that?
Old 03-04-2009
Registered!!

shadymechanic is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's an 2004 Civic, you don't want to be replacing things that do not need replacing- costs big $$ on newer hondas. If you are not sure, and you are tripping a check engine light then go to your auto parts place - like an Autozone- and have them check it out on the scanning tool, first! A bad O2 sensor is often the culprit-the one above the manifold. Look for simple things first, leak in hose, dirty throttle body - especially if its a desert car or winter car. Check aircleaner connection as well.
Old 03-05-2009
Registered!!

blkcoupe1201 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if it also could be a bad PVC vaule?? If so where is that located at on a 00 civic ex (d16y8)
Old 03-05-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hmm not exactly sure, some older engine had em right on top of the valve cover near the oil cap. newer ones have it down below on the right side of the engine and you gotta reach for it. kinda hard to see tho. theres a tube connected between it and the intake mani.
Old 03-05-2009
Registered!!

shadymechanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably above the oil drain plug somewhere. See if you can't see a blue or red colored piece with a hose going to it. You can usually see it with a bright light under the car.
Old 08-18-2014
Registered!!

allnet0300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
you can try that, the iac is usually bolted to the throttle body and has coolant lines feeding into it. sounds more like a bad tps which means youll need a whole new throttle body.
I swapped my whole throttle body and now the ifle problems is finally fixed , cleared the codes and then the check engine light came back on , so i was wondering my honda could have a bad computer , so if i change the computer ecu and see if that would solve and take away my check engine light . Watchu think?