Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Maintenance your own civic 30 60 90k service

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civics4everyone is an unknown quantity at this point
Maintenance your own civic 30 60 90k service

Why pay hundreds of dollars for a dealer or anyone else to maintain your civic. A 30k or 60k service doesnt really service anything, mostly all they do is a thorough inspection. They only replace your air filter($8 and 5 minutes of work), your oil ($10 and 0.5 hours work) The rest is all inspections. Some places replace coolant ,tranny fluid,and plugs but those services can cost alot more.(they probably wont use the expensive ngk plugs either as they can cost $10 each). The civic( according to my 2002 civic Lx manual) is scheduled to have all 3 of these items changed after 100,000 miles even under the severe driving conditions. Personally ive changed the tranny fluid myself at 30/60k just to be on the safe side. Tranny fluid for this car has no pan or filter its just drain and fill. I use genuine honda fluids and parts except oil .It is highly recommended by almost everyone one to use genuine honda atf fluid and almost no shops do, they use dextron.....hmm.. Ive read a couple articles online from transmission mechanics and they said half of tranny problems are from using the wrong fluid. Anyways inspections are easy enough you just need a jack & jackstand and you can see under your car very well(check online for a checklist or from a previous service). I have 68k miles so far with no problems. My brake pads are down to 1/4 inch so will need replacing soon, and ive already ordered some oem ceramic pads. I plan to drain my power steering, and brake fluid soon(recommended at 3 years).If you arent good with fixing things or get frustrated easy take to a shop by all means but im just trying to help.
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

Honda01 will become famous soon enoughHonda01 will become famous soon enough
Well that rant was a little out of nowhere :P
However I do agree with you! If you're apt, and interested in your car enough to come on here, you can likely do all those yourself!
There are a few others that you could add to the list that are as simple as pie to do!
Cabin Filter/ Brake PADS/ ect

Though I wouldn't recommend anyone playing with the drums or changing their brake fluid - but thats me.
I had a bad experince trying that... 2hr brake job took 9 hours and it still wasn't done!! I couldn't bleed my brakes!... I digress
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

LOL ..rant . Ive always tried to Do evreything myself so im just trying to share some of the info that ive learned. My sister paid around 300 bucs for a 30k service and they hardly did anything.
Old 04-04-2006
I hope I offend you... Get mad

Slow Gold will become famous soon enoughSlow Gold will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Honda01
Well that rant was a little out of nowhere :P
However I do agree with you! If you're apt, and interested in your car enough to come on here, you can likely do all those yourself!
There are a few others that you could add to the list that are as simple as pie to do!
Cabin Filter/ Brake PADS/ ect

Though I wouldn't recommend anyone playing with the drums or changing their brake fluid - but thats me.
I had a bad experince trying that... 2hr brake job took 9 hours and it still wasn't done!! I couldn't bleed my brakes!... I digress
Cake walk with the right tools. Try swapping an engine when its 22 degrees outside.
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

jamie_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
if you guys would like a mechanics point of view then i say if its an easy job (oil change, air filter, lubing door hinges...all that crap) then ya do it yourself but i wouldnt recomend doing your tranny fluid, brakes, ball joints, other suspension **** cuz theres procedures to take and torque specifications that cant really be ignored so unless you have the honda bible its not the best idea.....every day theres cars in on towing cuz people think they are mechanics.
Old 04-04-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
i wish i had a garage then i could work on my car myself and so forth, but lack of leads me to look for people who do good work
Old 04-04-2006
Registered!!

How can you recommend doing your own engine oil but not tranny fluid in a civic. They are exactly the same. Drain, fill, and torque down drain bolt. Actually the tranny has no filter so its even easier and less messy. I know what you mean though, i can see a guy changing his fluid and loosing the drain bolt 50 miles down the road..lol
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

jamie_civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by civics4everyone
How can you recommend doing your own engine oil but not tranny fluid in a civic. They are exactly the same. Drain, fill, and torque down drain bolt. Actually the tranny has no filter so its even easier and less messy. I know what you mean though, i can see a guy changing his fluid and loosing the drain bolt 50 miles down the road..lol
well i dont know the auto tranny anyways but the stick youv gotta fill it up with a bottle and well im sure you know, anyways lots of people dont really understand and might not be able to fill it....
anyways besides what should and shouldnt be done all im really saying is that people come in all the time with stuff they messed up.
Old 04-05-2006
Registered!!

How often are you supposed to change Stnd. tranny fluid?

I haven't really looked at my eng. to much - winter was setting in when I bought the car!... I don't even know how the ignition works on my 01 civic Lx!
I just got used to the Cap/Rotor of my 91 civic

...another aspect of why not to touch your brakes - liability.
If you do your own brake job, screw up, something happens, brakes fail and as a result you hurt someone - you're liable.
Let a shop do it, and they bear the liability!!
And we all know you crazy americans don't want a law suit on your hands - they get out of control down there
Old 04-07-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold

bwahahaha I'm sorry but that is funny..........

Last edited by shroomster; 04-07-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2006
Registered!!

What's funny?
The million dancing locks - it hurts my eyes :P
Old 04-09-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Honda01
What's funny?
The million dancing locks - it hurts my eyes :P
yeah...i thought it was funny..hehe do the lock...