Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Overfilled gas tank

Old 12-20-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nyyanks81 will become famous soon enoughnyyanks81 will become famous soon enough
Overfilled gas tank

The darn gas pump did not click off when I was pumping gas and as a result the tank was filled to the top and some spilled over onto the ground. This is the 1st time it has happened.

Is there any damage that can result from this overfill of the gas tank?
Old 12-20-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
yes it can...gas can go up your vapor recovery pipe into your charcoal filter which can destroy it...complain to the gas station, and take it to a shop and have them check ur charcoal filter cuz those things can run anywhere from 50-$400 or so
Old 12-20-2005
Registered!!

nyyanks81 will become famous soon enoughnyyanks81 will become famous soon enough
Is there any indication that the charcoal filter is messed up? Will the engine light go on?
What exactly is that part called? The Evaporative emission valve?

Now just in case I bring my car into the dealer for annual inspection and it fails because of this overfill mishap, is that part covered by the warranty?

Last edited by nyyanks81; 12-20-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-20-2005
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I have also experianced this little annoyance with some pumps for my dad's previous and current car, but have not with my vic. Good thing they didnt have problems with it, so I'm guessing it should be ok if it didnt do that too often.
Old 12-20-2005
my vtec brings all the girls to the yard

mrDFWmechanic will become famous soon enough
huh i wasn't aware that overfilling your tank could cause damage that hasn't happend to me before
Old 12-20-2005
Ill punch you in the face before you visit Myspace

SinaloaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
WTF is a charcoal filter? and what does it do!?!?!?!?
Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
charcoal canister is a emission device. It stores fuel vapors and later they are sent to the engine to be burned.

Now 2 things could have occured. First the gas station nozzle could have been malfunctioning. Or you have a faulty fuel tank vapor control valve.

I am not too sure on what the purpose of the control valve is for, but I remembered this because I read about it in the manaul. Maybe someone else knows more about the 2.

Now I doubt you did any damage to the canister. If you did, it would have thrown a check engine light for the canister. It usually takes several times of overfilling it to happen. But going to the dealer and asking them to check it, I dont see a need. you cant really check it. Its either working or not working. If the light isnt on, then you are ok.

What I would do is next time you need gas, try a different station or different pump and if it happens again, that control valve may need replacing. If it doesnt, thenm that specific nozzle was malfunctioning.

Last edited by streetglower; 12-21-2005 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah if its not throwing a code its not gonna be a problem, anything that gets damaged when it comes to emmissions will throw a code real quick. Thats all OBD 2 did, was make it so emmissions are strictly monitored (I know it actually did more)