Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

lc20 oil treatment review

Old 04-11-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: lc20 oil treatment review

yeah it slowly and gently dissolves the carbon and then keeps it from building up again. thats the best feature is its ability to turn the carbon into an emulsive lubricant so it does not damage anything or clog the filter coming out in chunks like other harsh additives will do.
Old 04-12-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Awesome, now I need to get some of this and try it out. I hope I can find somewhere that sells this in Canada or somewhere that I can get it that ships with something that doenst charge brokerage/duty fees.
Old 04-12-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

as far as i know the company always ships with fedex. i dont think theres any other place to get it, and nobody here in the usa can ship to you cause its hazardous material.
Old 04-12-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Damn, Im SOL.
Old 10-28-2009
Premium Member

hyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nice

gearbox, I just started using lc20 and fp plus. For the lc20 do you use it for transmission too?
Old 10-28-2009
Premium Member

yes. ive used it in my auto trans for the last 4 yrs, the full capacity of the system is 9 qts so if you can, try to add at least a few ounces or more when you change the trans fluid. in my civic auto, i can barely feel it shift. i also put some in our old 92 accord auto trans cause it had very rough shifting, now its almost like new and very smooth.
Old 10-29-2009
Registered!!

Mavrick272 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking about starting to buy FP Plus in the gallon containers instead of the smaller ones with the built in measuring thing. For those of you that buy in 1 gallon, whats your strategy for measuring it out at the pump? (I'm assuming you put it in before you fill the tank, that's what I do)
Old 10-29-2009
Premium Member

i bought two of the small bottles, one for lc and one for fp. it has measuring marks on the side and a pour spout you can squirt the liquid with. its better to add the fp before filling up with gas, so it mixes better, but doing it after is okay too. just drive the car around so it mixes. its called '16oz measuring bottle'

Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

hyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nicehyper_silver is just really nice

also, I read on the bottle to add 1oz of lc20 to engine oil every 1000miles and they recommend to change oil every 10,000miles. do you do this too? Thanks gearbox.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

LC20-for beginning of each oil change, add around 1oz of lc20 for every quart of oil (so usually around 3.5oz). then every 1k miles, add 1oz of lc20. you may want to keep the oil level slightly below the full mark so that you do not overfill. but 1oz is not alot and most of it will burn off by the time you add the next 1oz. if you do that continuously, yes oil will last for 10k miles according to the lab tbn analysis. the oil filter usually will not hold dirt that long for the first few months due to the lc20 cleaning up all the deposits. but once you use it for a long time like me and the oil still does not look very dirty after a while, then its okay to go longer. ive usually been going 6 months, but my oil still looks so clean i may go 8 months this time. the only worry is whether the filter gets clogged and oil starts to bypass it, but even then the lc20 keeps sludge in suspension so there is really no harm. i bet you could run without an oil filter if you use the lc20 (im not recommending you do tho lol).

FP/plus-this is the renewable soy based fuel additive with stronger concentration so you should add 1 oz per 10 gallons of fuel at every fillup. it mixes better if you put it in first and then add gas. it will keep the fuel in good condition for a long time, prevent freezing, and keep the fuel system lubricated.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

LC20-for beginning of each oil change, add around 1oz of lc20 for every quart of oil (so usually around 3.5oz). then every 1k miles, add 1oz of lc20. you may want to keep the oil level slightly below the full mark so that you do not overfill. but 1oz is not alot and most of it will burn off by the time you add the next 1oz. if you do that continuously, yes oil will last for 10k miles according to the lab tbn analysis. the oil filter usually will not hold dirt that long for the first few months due to the lc20 cleaning up all the deposits. but once you use it for a long time like me and the oil still does not look very dirty after a while, then its okay to go longer. ive usually been going 6 months, but my oil still looks so clean i may go 8 months this time. the only worry is whether the filter gets clogged and oil starts to bypass it, but even then the lc20 keeps sludge in suspension so there is really no harm. i bet you could run without an oil filter if you use the lc20 (im not recommending you do tho lol).

FP/plus-this is the renewable soy based fuel additive with stronger concentration so you should add 1 oz per 10 gallons of fuel at every fillup. it mixes better if you put it in first and then add gas. it will keep the fuel in good condition for a long time, prevent freezing, and keep the fuel system lubricated.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

If you are using lc20 in the trans fluid, dyson labs recommends 1oz every 10k miles. i usually change my fluid every year and add a few oz to the new fluid.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

you can also do an "engine flush" which involves adding 4oz lc20 for each quart of oil (so around 12-14oz for civic) and let the engine idle for 10 mins. then change the oil immediately and go back to the normal usage amount.

Last edited by gearbox; 10-30-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2009
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough

hmm i should prob use this more especially my trans. so pretty much i would add a few oz ontop of the 3.2qts or so of trans oil? then for the engine id add 3.5qts ontop of the 3.25-3.7qts of oil?

also if i were to purchase the 32oz LC20, would it be enough to do the engine and trans? since ill prob do this in my upcoming oil change.

Last edited by crazyasian; 10-30-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

thanks gear for all the info.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

its a waste to buy the small bottles when the gallon jugs are so cheap. when you do the oil and trans fluid change, you want to add the lc20 to the bottled oil first before pouring into the car. that way you do not overfill past the max line. i cannot give you an actual quart amount for the oil and trans, sometimes my engine only takes 3.2 qts for engine and 2.9 for trans. it always varies so be sure to check the dipstick when the car is on flat ground. oil you check with engine cold, trans fluid when engine is hot and running.
Old 10-30-2009
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough

hahah $37 for a gallon isnt that cheap especially for a broke college student.
Old 10-30-2009
Premium Member

it will last for years tho, and fuel savings will pay for itself.
Old 11-15-2009
Premium Member

i was reading up on the lab reports and it says you can also use the lc20 in the power steering fluid (but definately NOT brake fluid lol). i am already using it in the motor oil and the auto trans oil, so why not put some in ps oil too. i added 1.5 oz in the reservoir (you need the oil level to be at MIN, then add the 1.5 oz of lc20 and it will go up to MAX). i used a couple shop towels stuck in the opening to pull out some of the fluid. i will post back if i notice any difference. i already did a drain and refill of the ps fluid a week ago, so if i notice more difference it will be from the lc20. not sure why i havent tried this yet!

oh on a side note, i recently put some fp-plus in our lawn mower gas (regular unleaded), which is acting pretty messed up lately and taking hundreds of tries to start it. when it finally fired up, i could tell it was running stronger already. and i know the gas inside will be good til next summer.
Old 02-17-2010
Registered!!

vitod is an unknown quantity at this point

I've used LC20 for a month now and I have to say, engines starts are WAY smoother. It's been very cold and the engine just puuuurs.....

So far, this stuff works.
Old 02-24-2010
rzc
Registered!!

rzc is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my FP/Plus and LC20.

I have an 01 civic with about 280k on it. Everything is still original (I did have to get new coilpacks way back when) and I've heard all the rants and raves (specially from Gearbox ) ) Im looking forward to it, currently I get about 400 to 418 miles to a full tank so I cant wait to see what I get now with this.

Will let you all know in a couple of months... thanks Gearbox!

On a side note I am about to go on my 3rd timing belt, water pump, etc... change out but this time I am thinking of doing it myself.
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

xnairb is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like this is a good thing to do my car after reading into it. Hearing this from gearbox from year after year posts, I should probably start doin it. I found a working coupon for everyone out there. Put it in the check out "80795" its a 10% discount, its the only one I found. Got a 01 civic with 14x,xxx miles, manual, lets see how this works. I would like to hear some others before and after results.
Old 02-26-2012
Premium Member

oh nice, i will use that next time thanks. i dont do nearly as much driving as before, so i will prolly be getting the smaller containers instead of the gallon jugs. since your car is a bit old, i would recommend the auto-rx.com engine treatment first, then after that start using the lc20. lc20 is more of a slow cleaner that mainly keeps the oil fresh. it will not aggressively clean like the other stuff would for the first time.
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

PacosTacos88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
oh nice, i will use that next time thanks. i dont do nearly as much driving as before, so i will prolly be getting the smaller containers instead of the gallon jugs. since your car is a bit old, i would recommend the auto-rx.com engine treatment first, then after that start using the lc20. lc20 is more of a slow cleaner that mainly keeps the oil fresh. it will not aggressively clean like the other stuff would for the first time.
I was wondering about that. My car just hit 225,000 miles, is it safe to put an aggressive cleaner in it?

It needs something done though, my oil is black after 2,000 miles. For the last year, I've been changing the oil every 3k miles with GTX High Mileage...
Old 02-26-2012
Premium Member

auto-rx isnt that aggressive and should be fine in a higher mileage engine due to how it cleans.
Old 02-26-2012
Registered!!

PacosTacos88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
auto-rx isnt that aggressive and should be fine in a higher mileage engine due to how it cleans.
Thanks! I'll give it a try and report back
Old 02-27-2012
Premium Member

i never used auto rx on the civic before due to it being fairly clean already at 30k when i first started using lc20 and fp plus, but i did use it on a really old 92 accord we have that had massive sludge and varnish at only 100k miles (and 20 yrs old). i took off the valve cover and started grabbing handfulls of chunky pieces and oily gunk from around the valve seats. i couldnt believe it and thats only what i could see. it was also burning over a quart of oil a month. i tried the auto rx with a fresh oil change (do not use synthetic with auto rx) and drove for 5k miles. then did another oil change without auto rx and waited another 5k miles. then changed oil again with valvoline maxlife and added lc20. i now do yearly oil changes on it adding lc20 every 1k miles. the engine works like when it was new with a ton more power, and all the moving parts surfaces were perfectly cleaned. it will not really clean up the valve cover and non moving parts, which doesnt matter anyway. oil burning, well it was greatly reduced. i bought a 5 gallon jug and added around 4 qts last june, and periodically add oil when it drops down. i still have the same jug almost empty in the garage and it will prolly make it to june again. that is an amazing improvement. but the best part was the power, and the gas mileage is back to 26 city and 34 highway like the sticker says.

i did do the lc20 "engine flush" procedure on my civic last year (forgot the actual procedure but something like dump a bunch of lc20 in the oil, idle the engine for 10 mins, shut it off, and drain the oil). im not sure it was needed, but maybe it cleaned up some stuff. the auto rx is much better tho because it cleans over time as you drive, and liquefies the carbon buildup rather than ripping it off.

Last edited by gearbox; 02-27-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2012
Premium Member

7yrs/70k miles later and counting, not one fuel system or engine related problem. even tho i always drive until the gas light comes on and never fill over 1/2 tank of gas. in fact i havent had to clean out my egr/pcv/iac/tb in nearly 5 yrs. every time i check, not a spec of carbon buildup like before. last year i switched to redline 5w30 (the best synthetic) and still use lc20. i dont drive as much these days so i just go 10k or 1 year between changes and the oil still almost looks new a year later. i feel bad changing it.

Originally Posted by Dticalman81
I think it may be good in the short-term wise. But in the long term it may have damaging effects. It's just an assumption tho. Things may be too good to be true? Let me know....
Old 07-29-2012
Registered!!

xnairb is an unknown quantity at this point

reviving the thread once again but im here to put my inputs into this product. I believe this product has cleaned my engine and has gave me better MPG. Almost at half a year using this product but it has gave me better MPG from getting atleast 400 miles for every full tank now to 450-480 depending how confident i am on running on the gas light. I drive a 2001 Civic and its stocked and now has 150xxx miles on it. For the oil I'm not sure how it will look like because the fresh oil is still in there and will prob be dirty because its the first time i've been using it but I will be seeing how it will look like after the 10,000 mile mark. Thanks gearbox for introducing me to this product.
Old 07-30-2012
Premium Member

no problem. the first few oil changes will likely be dark and dirty, but after a while the oil will stay cleaner and not turn black like before. after a year, mine is a medium brown and i don't exactly baby the car either. one of these days i will get an analysis done because i feel like im throwing away perfectly good oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lc20 oil treatment review