Legal Questions and the Law Post your questions about the law, or speeding tickets or any legal issues here.
Disclaimer: Civicforums.com and it's moderators are not lawyers or police officers and can in no way be held responsible for any advice or action

2014 Civic Defect: Parents Killed in Crash

Old 01-28-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mzumstein is an unknown quantity at this point
2014 Civic Defect: Parents Killed in Crash

In July 2014 my parents were killed in their brand new (2 months old) 2014 Civic. My dad was driving in the slow lane with his hazard lights on because the car would not accelerate. Because of construction, there was no right hand shoulder on which to get off. The car had plenty of gas, the tires were fine, yet this car would not GO. My parents were hit by a driver going approximately 70 MPH. The bumper was crushed up to the back of the front seats.

Has anyone experienced an accelerator problem in their 2014 Civic which caused the car to go very slowly or not accelerate at all with no known cause? The data recorder on this car, when retrieved, was mysteriously "clean": there is no data whatsoever to use to help identify what may have gone wrong.

PLEASE - if anyone has experienced an accelerator problem, please let me know. If there is an undiagnosed accelerator/transmission or other problem out there in 2014 Honda Civics, yours could be the next to malfunction. I want to prevent this. Thank you.
Old 01-29-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Civic Defect: Parents Killed in Crash

In July 2014 my parents were killed
I'm sorry to hear of your tragic loss. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

The data recorder on this car, when retrieved, was mysteriously "clean": there is no data whatsoever to use to help identify what may have gone wrong.
Curious, did the accident cause any of the airbags or seatbelts to deploy?

Who retrieved the event data? Were they able to offer you any explanation?

Has anyone experienced an accelerator problem in their 2014 Civic which caused the car to go very slowly or not accelerate at all
If one drives with both feet, this can happen.

Brake Override System.
Applying the gas and brake pedals at the same time can result in loss of acceleration.
According to the info I found, this does not cause any fault codes to be set.

Due in large part to Toyotas infamous unintended acceleration and runaway car problems and subsequent recalls just a few short years ago, this override system was adopted by many manufacturers in the interest of safety.

Here's some reading material on the subject:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/brake-override-system-proposed-by-regulators/

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-driving-safety/safety-regulatory-devices/brake-override-systems.htm

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1045539_all-u-s-honda-vehicles-to-get-brake-overrides-by-next-year

with no known cause?
I personally have not encountered a 'no acceleration' condition in the newer cars that had no explanation.
Keep in mind, I am only one person in a very small dealer service department. My scope is quite limited.

You may want to contact someone at the corporate level with your questions.

to help identify what may have gone wrong
At the moment, the only thing I can think of that might provide a clue is to interview any witnesses to see if the brake lights were on at the time.

Regards,