Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

2001 Honda Civic LX P0740

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013
2001 & 2004 Honda Civic Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
psucollege22 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Honda Civic LX P0740

I have a 01 civic with 146k miles on it and it has the p0740 code. I am looking at other forums and most were talking about how the transmissions are bad and most likely needed replaced. But I saw this one article very interesting and I will paste it below..

"If you’re servicing a ’02 Civic with A/T, and DTC
P0740 (problem in lock-up control system) is set,
check for contaminated solenoids before you
replace the A/T (see page 14-69 of the 2001–02
Civic S/M.) If the torque converter clutch solenoid
valve or the A/T clutch pressure solenoid valves A
and B are contaminated, replace them.
Honda Transmission Manufacturing’s Market
Quality department analyzed 12 A/Ts that were
replaced for this DTC. Here’s what they found:
• 11 of the 12 A/Ts had contaminated solenoids
• After replacing the torque converter clutch
solenoid valve and the A/T clutch pressure
control solenoid valves A and B on all 12 A/Ts,
only one had a comeback for DTC P0740."

Of course its talking about an 02, but since 01-05 are the same models, I think that I should check these solenoids first and replace them because I don't have any problems except the light and code.

Any thoughts and/or experiences with replacing these solenoids?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-01-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 Honda Civic LX P0740

I can't say if the 02 info would apply to an 01 or not.
According to the bulletin you copied, technically, no it shouldn't apply--- based solely on the model year stated.

because I don't have any problems except the light and code.
You have the light and the code because the computer saw a problem. Just because you didn't notice does not mean there is no problem.

See my reply in this thread, and read the links I posted:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4645664
Old 09-01-2013

You have the light and the code because the computer saw a problem. Just because you didn't notice does not mean there is no problem.

Well, I know that there is a problem, or I wouldn't getting the code. I was just seeing if anyone had success of removing the code by replacing the solenoids. Other than that, I don't want to drop the money on a new torque converter and transmission unless it goes out.
Old 09-01-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I personally have not.

You could remove the solenoids and check visually for debris, and if there are little filter screens you could try to remove and clean them. You might need fresh gaskets to reinstall the solenoids though.

Keep in mind, any debris you might possibly find had to come from somewhere else. Likely from the torque converter if you have an 01.

HTH
Old 09-01-2013

Ok, thanks for the info. I have seen that you have experience with these civics. So if my car is throwing this code,and being that its an 01, does that means that the torque converter is done no matter what, or could it be something else that is causing the code?
Old 09-01-2013

Really, it could be caused by any number of things. The bulletins normally address causes of common problems, could be obvious or obscure causes.
That does not mean a bulletin is always the fix; far too many people want to believe that is some sort of Gospel. It ain't.

It would take some pointed diagnosis, pressure testing, and electronic testing to actually even narrow down the true cause of the issue (still some guesswork at this point), then the teardown to verify and repair it.
(Or you could take your chances.....Toss the TC in it and hope. You and I can't tear apart a torque converter to see inside it, so it just gets tossed in there and hope it's right. Lot of work for this though..)

That bulletin I linked was released in May of 2001, so this apparently was a problem early on in the model run, and was corrected on the assembly line mid-year (as evidenced by the VIN number range stated in the bulletin).
They were failing quite early in their lives, and probably pretty regularly if they released a bulletin about it. (NOTE: I was not working in a Honda dealer at that time.)

The car and trans is now about 13 years old and has how many miles on it?
Most trans shops would tell you it's time for a rebuild or overhaul no matter what.

Those transmissions are well known for early failures, and if *I* were to touch it for any reason (i.e. torque converter replacement only)....would you hold me responsible if the trans acts funny or fails the next week? How about 3 months down the road? 11 months later?

Most ordinary people will, or at least they will be pizzed that they spent several hundred dollars for that repair and NOW it needs a transmission (for whatever reason), even though I just had it out of the car....for SOME reason (they likely did not understand why in the first place).....I don't need that on my shoulders.
I sometimes tell the boss to "let that customer go on down the road, let some other shop do it". We don't need the person hating us when the repair goes bad.

If this rolled in the shop, I seriously think it would be strongly recommended that it gets a complete reman transmission through the normal Honda channels. This is to reduce our liability, reduce the chances of a comeback, give the customer a good warranty, and speed up the process of repair.

Crap. Did that make any sense to you?
Old 09-01-2013

Yeah that makes sense, and I understand that. If I were to put a new tranny in it, I would buy a used one (2004-05) with low miles and just install it with the torque converter that it came with. I just wanted to know how big of a chance of it being a complete overhaul, or it just being low line pressure, or a bad solenoid and or whatnot. Because if it does go out, I will replace it myself, to save money. But I don't want to drop the 600-800 bucks on a tranny, if its just a 100-200 dollar fix for a line, or another part, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-01-2013

As long as the VIN of your car is within the range stated in that bulletin, there's a dang good chance that it's the torque converter, at least as a root cause. \
(If debris from the failure has circulated everywhere else, there could be more problems though so keep that in mind.)

Reman TC is only about $150 from Majestic.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...VIN+Number+---

Plus a case of Hondas trans fluid to do the flush as described in the bulletin, probably close to another $100.

And a days work if it's your first time....maybe more if you are in your driveway.
Old 09-01-2013

Ok, from your perspective, how long would the 2001 transmission last without this failure by Honda with the torque converters? I am debating whether to spend the $150 for that seeing how I still would have to take the transmission out to replace the part regardless. I mean, if the transmission would last me, I would gladly only replace the TC, but who knows how long that would be until I was dropping it again for a whole new unit. Also, if Honda had so many units go bad (had to issue a service notice with the certain vin numbers), why haven't they recalled it?
Old 09-01-2013

Oops! The reman TC is discontinued according to the site linked. Sorry. Apparently I can't read.
Try a trans shop supplier, see what their sources have?

Can't tell you how long it may last. No way.

Some people have the trans crap out before 100k.
Some last much longer than that.
Some act funny like they are starting to fail..... but still get driven anyway.
Some people on this site have trans issues but keep on truckin'.
A couple people have rebuilt their own.

Not a safety defect, no recall.
They may have expected the majority to fail before they got out of warranty.
Old 09-01-2013

I see, so I am beginning to think that my best bet would be to buy a used (2004-05) transmission and torque converter since of all the failures with the 01 trannys. Although would you recommend a rebuild or a whole new unit? I thought 04-05 because it seems that they are built better than the earlier years from the 7th gen model. I figure a rebuild would be cheaper, but would it be worth it?

I have a guy that would install it for me. He has installed transmissions in the past and knows what to flush and everything, so I am not too worried about the installation, just the what part to get for maximized life, and cost.
Old 09-01-2013

From what I read, 01 and 02 were the worst, 03 was improved some, but 04 and 05 are the ones to have.

Rebuilding is up to you, and your trans person.

My opinion is the factory remans should have all of the known problem areas already taken care of, so in effect you get a newer version of the trans internally, with all updates and improvements already done to make it like the 04-05..
PLUS a pretty good warranty.
You can't always get that from a local shop/person rebuilding it.

I work in a shop that does not rebuild automatics in-house (Honda doesn't even send special tools to do work inside any of their automatics), we get remans through Honda (1st choice)....or Jasper, or H&A, or used...
Old 09-03-2013
Registered!!

Lvmevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone;464748

[B
My opinion is the factory remans should have all of the known problem areas already taken care of, so in effect you get a newer version of the trans internally, with all updates and improvements already done to make it like the 04-05.. [/B]
PLUS a pretty good warranty.
You can't always get that from a local shop/person rebuilding it.

I just got my trans replaced on my 02 civic ex and this was one of my main concerns. I went through a shop in So. California, Synchrotech. they specialize in Honda & acura transmissions. when I told them I wanted to put in an 04/05 they said not to worry about it, as their shop stays current with all the revisions and updates to their trannys to provide the most current features.
Old 10-02-2016
Registered!!

CRXTILLIDIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
I personally have not.

You could remove the solenoids and check visually for debris, and if there are little filter screens you could try to remove and clean them. You might need fresh gaskets to reinstall the solenoids though.

Keep in mind, any debris you might possibly find had to come from somewhere else. Likely from the torque converter if you have an 01.

HTH
Ezone said, "You could remove the solenoids and check visually for debris..."

»Of course removing, testing,99 tty replacing a solenoids replacing the torque converter. Repair diagnostics should start i cold
Old 10-02-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I personally have not.

HTH
In this statement EZONE answered that he had no luck replacing the solenoids. But his further comments indicate that Ezone hasn't ever removed the solenoids.

Proof: If he had ever removed the TCC or clutch pressure solenoids he would be well aware that they all have screens. And that the the rubber gasket won't need replacing.

If Honda considers the problem to be the solenoids, and ezone changed his tranny before inspecting his solenoids, he might be a bit agitated by the possibility that he changed his transmission for nothing and it still doesn't work right.

WHEN A good mechanic is diagnosing, any repairs made, are always done in order : from the simplest repair to the most complex. Or from the cheapest to the most expensive repair.

In other words you should remove and inspect all of the solenoids Honda indicated, and eliminate the possibility that they cause your DTC, before you get . Don't take ezone's advice. He still has the same p0740 problem from before he swapped trans axles. Lol
Old 10-02-2016

Originally Posted by CRXTILLIDIE
In this statement EZONE answered that he had no luck replacing the solenoids. But his further comments indicate that Ezone hasn't ever removed the solenoids.

Proof: If he had ever removed the TCC or clutch pressure solenoids he would be well aware that they all have screens. And that the the rubber gasket won't need replacing.

If Honda considers the problem to be the solenoids, and ezone changed his tranny before inspecting his solenoids, he might be a bit agitated by the possibility that he changed his transmission for nothing and it still doesn't work right.

WHEN A good mechanic is diagnosing, any repairs made, are always done in order : from the simplest repair to the most complex. Or from the cheapest to the most expensive repair.

In other words you should remove and inspect all of the solenoids Honda indicated, and eliminate the possibility that they cause your DTC, before you get . Don't take ezone's advice. He still has the same p0740 problem from before he swapped trans axles. Lol
Three year old thread is dead.

I'm sure you cleaned out all the little bitty screens on your own BMXA trans, no?
How long did it take for you to get that done, and how did that work out for you?

Last edited by ezone; 10-08-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Replacing all the solenoids and pressure switches on my 2001 Odyssey 4-speed trans to the tune of $800 did not solve my P0780 problem.

From what I have read over the years on Honda's P0740 code - it is the death code of transmissions (in my case it was the P0780). You either replace, reman, rebuild or get rid of it. I chose to part with it.
Old 10-06-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Replacing all the solenoids and pressure switches on my 2001 Odyssey 4-speed trans to the tune of $800 did not solve my P0780 problem...
Actually I've just found information that Ezone put forth some years ago that seems to be the true answer to my p0740. The Torque converter needs a new green o-ring(91302PGK003)
I have an 01 civic lx that I swapped out the stock BMXA tranny, for a Japanese SLXA tranny. It was the cheapest route. The car has ran like a champ, with the SLXA but I can't SMOG it until I get rid of this p0740.
Old 08-11-2019
Registered!!

Benny Cowand is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by psucollege22
I have a 01 civic with 146k miles on it and it has the p0740 code. I am looking at other forums and most were talking about how the transmissions are bad and most likely needed replaced. But I saw this one article very interesting and I will paste it below..

"If you’re servicing a ’02 Civic with A/T, and DTC
P0740 (problem in lock-up control system) is set,
check for contaminated solenoids before you
replace the A/T (see page 14-69 of the 2001–02
Civic S/M.) If the torque converter clutch solenoid
valve or the A/T clutch pressure solenoid valves A
and B are contaminated, replace them.
Honda Transmission Manufacturing’s Market
Quality department analyzed 12 A/Ts that were
replaced for this DTC. Here’s what they found:
• 11 of the 12 A/Ts had contaminated solenoids
• After replacing the torque converter clutch
solenoid valve and the A/T clutch pressure
control solenoid valves A and B on all 12 A/Ts,
only one had a comeback for DTC P0740."

Of course its talking about an 02, but since 01-05 are the same models, I think that I should check these solenoids first and replace them because I don't have any problems except the light and code.

Any thoughts and/or experiences with replacing these solenoids?

Thanks in advance
u read similar in a Honda manual I downloaded in it's transmission troubleshooting with the code. the far I'm working on has shift issues into / out of drive. so I'm going to change the shift solenoids and see if that is solution, then change torque converter solenoid if the first didn't solve it and come back and give update as if this is all it needed in my case at least
Old 09-15-2021
Registered!!

Irundstreets is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I'm having this same exact issue on my 99 EX... I just replaced the transmission over the weekend on top of throwing a new torque converter in it. Car runs fine, shifts smooth and I can get up to speed just fine. Nothing out of the ordinary for me to think something is wrong with my trans. Came out of a 2000 Civic Dx, if that helps at all. The car runs, it wants to go, and honestly the transmission feels strong. I'm about 100 miles out from the replacement and after 70 some miles I popped a check engine for this same exact code P0740. I just don't want it locking up on me or something. If someone has any suggestions or info related to my problem I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2021
Click Here

Received 1,151 Likes on 899 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

I’m not super familiar with the issue, but a quick google search is saying in huge capital letters NOT to drive it.
Old 09-15-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Chezboat24
I’m not super familiar with the issue, but a quick google search is saying in huge capital letters NOT to drive it.

So.. come to find out im leaking trans fluid silly me.. i checked it a few times after the replacement and it was fine.. looked under trans and there was all but almost a drip on the backside middle kinda where the trans meets the motor.. i wiped it down to find out exacly where the leak is.. I drive it 20 mins to and from work everyday & from what you're saying its not safe..?
Old 09-15-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

google... takes a few seconds
Old 09-15-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
ya don't say..? Been on multiple forum pages fam. Way to not throw any advice but yet be a sarcastic ******* in the same process. So much for an admin, ha.

Last edited by Irundstreets; 09-15-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

? I don't understand why upset.

this is the reason given:
Originally Posted by Chezboat24
and you said:
Originally Posted by Irundstreets
& from what you're saying its not safe..?
I am just reinforcing what was said before.
Originally Posted by sdaidoji
The following 2 users liked this post by sdaidoji:
BrotatoChip (09-16-2021), FRSam (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

P0740 is considered the death code for Honda trans. Lack of line pressure for the operation of the trans. Internal filter clogged with clutch debris restricting flow of ATF. Been there and it sucks...
Old 09-16-2021
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
P0740 is considered the death code for Honda trans. Lack of line pressure for the operation of the trans. Internal filter clogged with clutch debris restricting flow of ATF. Been there and it sucks...
so yall are saying no seal can cause this because I do have a semi drip of transfluid on the backside of the trans where the trans meets the motor.. lol running good 160 miles since replacement & I think I lost maby a lil less then a half quart of trans fluid..Weird.
Old 09-16-2021
Click Here

Received 1,151 Likes on 899 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Irundstreets
so yall are saying no seal can cause this because I do have a semi drip of transfluid on the backside of the trans where the trans meets the motor.. lol running good 160 miles since replacement & I think I lost maby a lil less then a half quart of trans fluid..Weird.
The leak isn’t the issue. Read what he said.