Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Smile DIY: Change your Transmission Oil

NOTE: Pics coming soon!

Purpose of this DIY:

The Maintenence Schedule for our Civics mentions that you should replace the transmission fluid at 60,000 miles. I have heard of other people replacing their transmission fluid much sooner than that at 30,000 miles. Whichever mileage you choose, you will notice a crisper feeling to the shifter and smoother shifts after performing this DIY.

Materials needed:

- Jackstands x4
- Floor Jack
- 2 to 3 quarts of 10W-30 SAE SJ SG SH Motor Oil
- Manual Pump
- 17mm Socket
- Socket Wrench
- Oil Pan
- Plastic Container

Note on jackstands: You will need four jackstands because you will need access to the transmission filler bolt and the car must be level when checking the level of oil. Refer to Page 222 of your Civics owner's manual for more information. I happened to already have two jack stands, so I bought two more (the cheap 2-ton variety) from Walmart for $9.

Note on transmission oil: The owner's manual says that you should only use Honda's transmission oil, but it also mentions that you can use any SAE certified 10W-30 or 10W-40 grade SJ, SG, or SH motor oil as a temporary replacement. The owner manual mentions the same thing when talking about engine oil, so don't worry about using non-Honda oil.

Note on manual pump: I bought a cheapie off of HarborFreightTools.com for $10 when I was buying my manual tire changer. I also happened to spot one for $20 at Sears. My cheapie works just fine, so I suspect that the more expensive ones are a waste of money. Maybe if you're doing this 24/7, then it's a good investment, but at once every 60,000 miles you should get a cheapie.

Associated costs:

I paid about $25 for all of the materials that I needed to perform this DIY. Your expenses may be higher or lower depending upon what you already have. If you don't have any jackstands you could use concrete blocks and the stock jack to raise your car up. If you'de like to buy the cheapie jack and jackstands, then Walmart is your friend.

The socket set and socket wrench can't be replaced by a Crescent® adjustable wrench. There's simply too little room to work. If you're into tools, then you can get a very good set from HarborFreightTools.com for very little money. Compare their prices with the prices of Lowe's or Home Depot and you'll be amazed.

Instructions:

Raise the front of the car up using the floor jack. Make sure to place the jack under the front support point (pointed to by the arrow engraved in the black plastic guard underneath). Place two jack stands under the front support points (they stick out underneath on the sides behind the front wheel wells). Consult the owner's manual if in doubt as to their location.

Raise the rear of the car up using the floor jack and a short block of wood. I don't like scratching my undercarriage up and I can't elevate the car high enough by using the tow hook as a jacking point. Instead, I use a block of wood as an isolator and I place the jack in the center of the lower control arm attachment points (the metal that rear lower tie bars are attached to).

Place two jacks under the rear support points (they stick out underneath on the sides in front of the rear wheel wells). Again, consult the owner's manual if you don't know where they are. Now, here's the sneaky part... You can raise up the front of the car more than the rear to have better access to the transmission oil with the manual pump. You can also raise the rear up higher to be able to pump in more of the transmission oil. I did neither when I performed this DIY; it's just something that came to mind when I was done.

Locate the transmission oil filler bolt. Refer to page nr. 222 of the owner's manual for a picture of it's location. You'll need good lighting when you're working under your car, or else you'll come out from under there covered in oil and you won't even know it. At the very least, position a flashlight to direct light at the filler bolt. If you need an excuse to buy another tool, then I suggest that you get one of those hanging lights that uses regular light bulbs.

Place the oil pan under the transmission oil filler bolt hole and use the 17mm socket and socket wrench to loosen it. Unscrew it the rest of the way by hand and be ready for some oil to flow out (more or less, depending on how you adjusted your jack stands). Assemble the manual pump according to its instructions. Mine came with an adapter for a smaller diameter hose and the hose itself, which I used to put into the transmission housing. The larger diameter hose also fit, but not all the way in.

Feel around with the hose inside of the transmission housing to reach the lowest spot possible. Make sure that the hose does not move; I simply wedged it in there and it stayed put. Then begin pumping out the old transmission oil into any plastic container with a large capacity and a narrow neck (like a used milk container), or else you'll cover everything in oil as it tends to not flow smoothly. Instead, it gushes out in waves and can make quite a mess if you try to catch it in the oil pan. The oil pan is just there to catch any oil coming out of the transmission oil filler bolt hole.

After you pump out all of the old transmission oil, you will need to pump in the new transmission oil. To do this you will need to reverse the hoses on the pump, so that the oil is pumped into the transmission housing through the smaller diameter hose. I was able to pump in more than two full quarts of oil, although I did end up wasting a little in the process. You should stop pumping when the oil starts to leak out from the transmission oil filler bolt hole.

At this point I put the transmission oil filler bolt back into place and torqued it down conservatively (25 - 35 foot pounds). It's not load bearing and has a crush washer that should act as a spring to keep the bolt from vibrating out. I then lowered the car and cleaned up everything that was covered in oil. If you're wondering what to do with the old oil... Simply return it to the place where you bought your new oil. For me that was Walmart; they should take it back from you without question. Most states have laws that require the people who sell oil to take back used oil and then dispose of it properly.

The very last part of this DIY requires that you do everyting over again after driving around for a while. I did and I was able to fill up the transmission housing with even more oil. Maybe it was the air bubbles that had to settle out of the oil? Maybe it was the recesses that I couldn't get to the first time? Maybe the oil was thrown into the recesses that I couldn't get to under cornering forces? Who knows how it happened, the fact is that I was able to put in another half a pint of oil.

Driving Impressions:

I did this DIY about 2,500 miles ago and I think it's worth it. I can "feel" the gears through the shifter much better than before. Shifting is "crisper" than ever and 2nd doesn't pop out on me as much as it used to. As a side-story, the 2nd gear poppping out problem is on certain 2001 Civics and is covered under warranty, but I didn't get it fixed before my warranty expired. Oh well, I can live with it. Especially since my plan is to get a K24/K20A2 frankenstein motor into my car later on down the road.
Old 11-10-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
id try to stick to honda mtf insted of motor oil. its not very expensive. the way i see it, even if you change your fluid only once a year, say every 12-15k, which is drastically below the recommended interval, youd only be spending around $8 per year on fluid, vs $2-3 for motor oil. i bet i could find the $5-6 dollar difference in change around my house
Old 11-11-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you might wanna note that this is a DIY for Manual trannsmissions, auto transmission fluid change uses different fluid and the process is a bit different with different tools.
Old 11-11-2004
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
good DIY..
I love www.HarborFreight.com.
I live close to one.
I can spend hours in that store buying stuff.
Old 12-01-2004
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool. I needed to know this DIY.
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
anything honda recommends multiply it by 1.5 imo

I had my tranny repalced at 40,0000 and am now at 101,000 (km) and my mechanic said i dont need a tranny fluid change, at least I know my mechanics honest, I went to one of those quick lube places, and they told me to drain my tranny fluid 15k after i got the new tranny installed. I told them they should be ashamed of themselves
Old 12-01-2004
Registered!!

7Gnoob is an unknown quantity at this point
You don't need the pump... there is a drain at the bottom of the housing that you can remove using only a ratchet (without a socket on it). To fill I used a tube and funnel.
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by AggressiveAdam
anything honda recommends multiply it by 1.5 imo

I had my tranny repalced at 40,0000 and am now at 101,000 (km) and my mechanic said i dont need a tranny fluid change, at least I know my mechanics honest, I went to one of those quick lube places, and they told me to drain my tranny fluid 15k after i got the new tranny installed. I told them they should be ashamed of themselves
I would change my fluid every 15k, they werent being dishonest with you. That is probably why you had to replace your tranny because you listened to the mechanic who said you dont need to change your fluid.
Old 12-02-2004

HyaBoosta will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 7Gnoob
You don't need the pump... there is a drain at the bottom of the housing that you can remove using only a ratchet (without a socket on it). To fill I used a tube and funnel.
Yeah thats the easy way to go I did it that way and it worked out fine.
Old 12-02-2004
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
kool DIY nw someone do one for an Auto tranny
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Storm897 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 7Gnoob
I agree. Theres two bolts in the Transmission Case. Bolt #1 and Bolt #2 in the Picture Below. First take a 3/8 inch socket wrench and remove bolt #2 to remove the MTF (Manual transmission Fluid). Then after the MTF has been removed, screw in bolt #2 to spec and remove bolt #1 (Using a 17mm Socket) to place back MTF back in to the transmission.

Old 12-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
nice pic
Old 12-02-2004
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Man where does all that mud come from??
Are you using the Vic as a 4X4 lolll
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by _Viper_
Man where does all that mud come from??
Are you using the Vic as a 4X4 lolll
There doing contruction in my neighborhood building new homes. Thats where it comes from.

Last edited by Storm897; 05-20-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

Agent9 should not be trusted
Nice DIY
Old 12-06-2004
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Storm897
I agree. Theres two bolts in the Transmission Case. Bolt #1 and Bolt #2 in the Picture Below. First take a 3/8 inch socket wrench and remove bolt #2 to remove the MTF (Manual transmission Fluid). Then after the MTF has been removed, screw in bolt #2 to spec and remove bolt #1 (Using a 17mm Socket) to place back MTF back in to the transmission.

Oh man! I suck. I remember seeing that bolt and I thought about unbolting it to see what would come out, but the procedure in the manual said not to do that. Oh well, at least now everyone knows that you don't need a pump!
Old 12-08-2004
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
I had actually seen both bolts on the transmission, too, but the manual only tells you so much. I didn't want to drain it without buying a funnel first. I was wondering why you were using the pump, Grey...
Old 12-09-2004
Registered!!

StealthCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I was told you don't need to change the trans fluid ever in a manual , only a auto, by a mechanic I trust!
Old 12-09-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
^^^^^^ You need to change it but not as often as a auto, check your manual if you don't believe me. Changing your tranny fluid insn't expensive and its not hard, I thikn its good to be precautious.
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

woodee will become famous soon enough
another GREAT DIY Grey thanks for the pic storm987
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

MIVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
what kind of Synthetic trans fluid should i use??? im going to do this soon
Old 07-14-2005
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
10W-30 Motor oil in the transmission? I thought all transmission oil are red and they are ATF+ and Dexron. Maybe i am missing something.

Last edited by dalaw; 07-14-2005 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2005
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I just want to add that I recently had a problem with a mechanic putting 10w30 motor oil in my tranny when I had my clutch installed. I had nothing but problems, gridning syncros, mis-shifts, popping out of gear. I went back and made him put in HOnda MTF, and now it works like it should, no more gridning gears! ONLY USE HONDA MTF!!!
Old 07-14-2005
Touch it... He won't bite, He'll just come at you pretty quick.

Blahman240 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by IDQcivic
I just want to add that I recently had a problem with a mechanic putting 10w30 motor oil in my tranny when I had my clutch installed. I had nothing but problems, gridning syncros, mis-shifts, popping out of gear. I went back and made him put in HOnda MTF, and now it works like it should, no more gridning gears! ONLY USE HONDA MTF!!!
well... 10w30 is also pretty heavy for a tranny.
Old 09-01-2005
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
I need a DIY for an auto!!!!!!

go under the car and remove the tranny bolt. it is a bolt that a 3/8 ratchet head will fit into, dont need a socket. Remove that, drain the tranny fluid, put back on, then add 3 quarts at the tranny dipstick in the engine compartment.

Last edited by streetglower; 09-01-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

Looney_01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by IDQcivic

You are up in the night bro. I change my fluid every year with Mobil 1 10w-30 Synthetic! I have never had any problems at all! Honda always says to use their brand of oil and MTf because they want to make more money! Think about it.

So just so everybody knows, use 10w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic or any other 10w-30 motor oil.
Old 09-14-2005
Registered!!

BSonly is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda mechanic(friend) gave me 4 quarts of ATF. I've heard to use 2 or 3 or 4 quarts??? so what is it? do i fill it up until it spills out?
Old 09-14-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BSonly
Honda mechanic(friend) gave me 4 quarts of ATF. I've heard to use 2 or 3 or 4 quarts??? so what is it? do i fill it up until it spills out?
no, the Auto tranny takes 2.9 quarts of ATF. so just put in 3 quarts. It should be filled to where it is between the lines on the dipstick.
Old 09-16-2005
Registered!!

grapehead is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Storm897
for future reference, always remove the fill bolt before the drain bolt. on vehicles where rust/mud/etc make removing bolts an issue, the home wrench could get into a situation where he has emptied the tranny with no way to refill it.
Old 09-16-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by grapehead
for future reference, always remove the fill bolt before the drain bolt. on vehicles where rust/mud/etc make removing bolts an issue, the home wrench could get into a situation where he has emptied the tranny with no way to refill it.
Good point. Never really thought of that.

Thanks

Quick Reply: DIY: Change your Transmission Oil