Koni Struts Installation

Old 05-17-2004
Site Robot. Do Not Msg.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forum Bot has disabled reputation
Post Koni Struts Installation

<font face="verdana" color="#1e90ff" size="5"><a href="http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech/0205ht_suspension/" target="_blank"><strong>Link to external site</strong></a><strong> <br /><br /><font color="#000000">Little more info...<br /></font><br /></strong><font color="#000000" size="2">1. Dirll a small pilot hole in the bottom center of the strut first. You will get a little oil spray but not much. Just put a trash can or something under the vise to catch the oil. <br /><br />2. I used a tubing cutter to cut off the shocks. I think it makes a much better and square cut than a saw. It took maybe 8 to 10 turns of the cutter tightening a little each turn to cut it off.<br /><br />3. After cutting you can pull out the insides of the shock and dump out the oil, then take a rag and wipe out the shock tube and get rid of the oil film.<br /><br />4. Use a die grinder or dremel or even a file and smooth up the lip inside and out the tube that was made by the cutter. You want to make sure the edges are smooth and flush. Also when I was done cutting and cleaning, I put some black paint on the cut end so it won't rust.<br /><br />5. For drilling the big hole, I would make progressively larger pilot holes, rather than try to drill all at one time. The instuctions give the drill size. You need a really good (expensive bit) for the final hole and something really solid to hold the part while you use a drill press to finish the hole. You can use a hand held drill, but it will be harder to do. I had some chatter with the bit while drilling, so the piece needs to be held steady.<br /><br />6. It doesn't matter if the bottom hole is a little sloppy because there is a washer that goes on there with the shock insert bolt.<br /><br />7. My shock insert slid right into the strut with no problem. If you have smoothed up the place where you cut, there should be no problem pushing the shock into the strut. Make sure you have cleaned out the strut tube of any griding chips or filings before you insert the shock.<br /><br />8. Make sure you torque the bolts good. The spec is in the directions. I torqued mine and checked after 1000 miles and they were still tight. No problems there.<br /><br />9. The instructions are pretty good with pics. After you have the struts reassembled, the struts go on just like you took them off. Use your spring compressor and put everything back on with the original parts that came off the car. </font></font>