Need help identifying part numbers and quantities of dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MG-70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help identifying part numbers and quantities of dash lights

Guys,
I'm trying to change some burnt light bulbs in my parent's 2002 Civic LX 4DR instrument cluster (dash), was directed in another post to look on "hondapartsnow" and "majestic" for diagrams, but didn't find them on either (found only partial diagrams).

After finding a youtube vid on how to take the dash out, I'm planning on doing it, but first was wondering if there's something I can do to light up all the lights on the dash, so that I can take note of what's burnt, before taking it out. I've taken the pic of what it looks like when you simply turn the car on (will try to attach it below).

The bulbs are not listed under "instrument panel", "interior accessories", "accessories electrical", or "interior light" at majestic

I found only partial diagrams at hondapartsnow. This is what I found at hondaparts now (sorry I couldn't unbold the text using the menu above):

Honda Part No.: 35505-SA5-003
Socket Assy., Bulb (14V 1.4W) (Base:Black) (NS)
$3.47 ea (qty needed 10)
Honda Part No.: 78135-S3N-003
Socket Assy., Bulb
$4.61 (qty needed 6)
Honda Part No.: 78181-S30-003
Socket Assy., Bulb
$4.39 (qty needed 1)

I also need to replace the light bulb in the shift indicator between the seats.

Based on the prices above, I've decided not to simply buy all the bulbs, but rather buy only the burnt ones, but first I need to identity which are burnt.

1. After removing the dash, can I simply pull out the bulb and visually see if it's burnt?
2. Is there a part number on the bulbs themselves?
3. Is there an easier way to identify which bulbs are burnt?

Thanks in advance,
MG-70

Old 11-14-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need help identifying part numbers and quantities of dash lights

In "rear view" it has a bunch of 1s spread evenly throughout the back, those are illumination. They are wedge type bulbs but come with a socket. Some folks throw in #74s but they are not correct size (too large bulb)

You will be surprised how dark the bulbs are after 13-14 years....and you will likely knock a filament or two loose R & R ing the cluster. Your call.

Good luck with shifter bulb, have one someplace but could take a while to locate, they are not a #74 but smaller.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine...5-S30-003.html

Last edited by CraigW; 11-14-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2015
Registered!!

CraigW,
Thanks again for the feedback!

It is easy to distinguish between the bulbs that illuminate major gauges (speedometer, fuel, temperature) vs. the various smaller indicator type items (engine maintenance, oil, gear selector, etc.)?

Is the broken or burnt filament on the bulbs easy to see if I use a magnifying glass and a flash light?

Right now I'm thinking of pulling the cluster out and bringing it to my place, where I can better examine the various bulbs, perhaps reuse the old bulbs in the (to me) less used items or items that are less likely to light up, and buy new bulbs for the rest. Depending on the number of bulbs, I may just replace them all, but I don't want to spend $100 on bulbs when I don't think they'll be keeping the car a whole lot longer. I'd like to get them into something newer, with fewer miles on the clock.

Thanks for the info on the gear selector bulb, and for the reply!

Last edited by MG-70; 11-16-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2015

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

If you can see through the buildup inside glass, you can likely see the filament with good eyes or magnifier.
Old 11-16-2015
Registered!!

I'd appreciate it if someone could direct me to instructions on how to open the center console on a 2002 Civic LX 4DR, pic below, to the point where I can change the light bulb on the gear selector. I tried going around the black plastic piece and pushing and prying, but after breaking two fasteners, I stopped.

On a good note, pulling out the instrument cluster and removing the bulbs was a breeze. Half the large bulbs are burnt, even though from looking at the cluster while lit, you'd think it was 8 out of 10. I'm planning on replacing all the larger bulbs, and possibly the only smaller bulb I found was burnt (I changed the order so that the burnt one is at the lowest position; my parents never use anything but "D", anyway).

I have the Honda part number for the smaller bulb above, but if someone knows the generic size, please post. I found the others on ebay and don't want to pay $5 shipping on one $4 bulb.

I appreciate any and all help disassembling the center console.

Thanks and a good week to all!

Old 11-17-2015

Not too much build up in those. The neo-wedge must be the ones that get really dark.

The panels all peel off to access shifter.

Have your dealer order the small bulb you need & get it for msrp.