Mini DIY: Install LED turn signal bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Mini DIY: Install LED turn signal bulbs

If you want to upgrade your turn signal bulbs to LEDs but are scared of that annoying hyperblinking problem, look no further! I did the tail lights first, just so I'd know the general fit of the things.

NOTE For this DIY I initially used load resistors for each individual bulb to prevent the hyperblinking. This was a waste of time and money because I couldn't get them to work in the front. A new LED-friendly flasher relay is the simpler, cheaper, better choice. Special thanks to xRiCeBoYx for pointing that out to me.

Here's what you'll need:
-Pliers
-Philips screwdriver
-A little hook or something in case you have an accident. I got one out of a gun cleaning kit. More on that later.
-1 LED flasher relay. I picked up a Tridon EP34 for $13.00 at Autozone. The box says Novita, but the store labeling says Tridon.

-Amber LED bulbs (7440 for rear, 7443 for front if you want to keep the dual-filament function). I got my 7440 bulbs here.

Have all that? Ok, let's do this.

1.) Remove the old bulb and replace it with the new one.

Don't worry, it fits with plenty of room to spare.

2.) Repeat until you're out of bulbs. These ones were a lot looser in the socket than the old bulbs. Be careful so you don't end up like me and drop a bulb in the housing.

Luckily I was able to use the hook thing I mentioned earlier to maneuver the base of the bulb close to the socket. I then grabbed it gently with my multi-tool pliers and pulled it out.

3.) Make sure the bulbs work. Hit your hazards and they should light up just fine.

4.) Now it's time for the relay. Open the under-dash fuse panel.

5.) Locate and remove the + bolt no the bottom right of the fuse array.

6.) Gently pull the array out and locate the flasher relay. It's the only big square one there. It was really awkward to take a picture of it, but it's under the wires there. You can't miss it.

7.) Now comes the tricky part. There are two clips holding the relay in; one is on the top, the other on the bottom. While pushing both tabs AWAY from the relay, you must pull it out. I finagled it one side at a time, using a screwdriver.

8.) Put your new relay in. It's significantly taller than the old one, so be gentle with the wiring.

9.) Before you put everything back together, turn your ignition to the "on" position and test both the left and right turn signals. Right away you will notice that they blink about 33.3% faster and the relay clicks a little louder.

10.) Gently put everything back in its place. Make sure the left side of the fuse array is sliding up its metal track. I found it helpful to turn the steering wheel until the shaft was no longer in the way. You'll see what I mean.

11.) Bolt it back in place, replace the fuse cover, retest everything (to make sure nothing came unplugged) and enjoy your new flashy LED flashers!

Last edited by Poopies; 10-19-2015 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Removed the resistors and used a relay instead.
Old 10-14-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mini DIY: Install LED turn signal bulbs

*ahem* you don't need a load resistor if you change the flasher relay.

Edit: the Tridon EP34, I believe is the one I'm running. No hyperflash with LED signals, though the flash rate is 80/min from a stock 60/min
Old 10-15-2015
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
the Tridon EP34, I believe is the one I'm running. No hyperflash with LED signals, though the flash rate is 80/min from a stock 60/min
I didn't know about that until now! Once again, your wiring> my wiring!
Old 10-15-2015
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, I was just giving you ****. Good writeup, but just thought I'd put that info out there
Old 10-15-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You should use the term "Vampire clip" LOL

GIS for vampire clip

Old 10-15-2015
Administrator
Administrator

I vaguely recall you saying "we call them vampire clips because they suck"

Lol
Old 10-15-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely recall you saying "we call them vampire clips because they suck"

Lol
Guilty as charged.
I didn't come up with the term first though. LOL
Old 10-16-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

nice DIY.
Old 10-17-2015
Super Moderator

Update: Couldn't get the damn things to stop hyperflashing in the front. Gonna head to Autozone for the EP34.
Old 10-19-2015
Super Moderator

Finished the lights and the DIY. Thanks again for the relay idea, RiceBoy!
Old 10-20-2015
Administrator
Administrator

That's what I'm here for. I take it you found the flasher relay just fine and were able to install it without any trouble?
Old 10-20-2015
Super Moderator

I take it you found the flasher relay just fine and were able to install it without any trouble?
Yeah, it was hella easy to install once I got the old one out.
Old 10-20-2015
Administrator
Administrator

getting the old one out was more of a pain in the *** that it should have been, right? lol
Old 12-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerseygurl234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this write up, I got my flasher box off dyode dynamics, it doesn't fit. def going to autozone tomorrow. only issue i am having is getting the fuse box back up the metal prong. Do you have any suggestions the prong sort started to bend??
Old 12-12-2015

Originally Posted by Jerseygurl234
Do you have any suggestions the prong sort started to bend??
Straighten it out before it's unpossible to correct it?
Old 12-12-2015
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ezone
+1 to that. If you make sure the grooves on both sides of the box are lined up with the prongs, you should be okay. You'll just have to squish a couple of wires around because it's kind of a tight fit.
Old 12-13-2015
Registered!!

Jerseygurl234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
I guess my question then is how b/c i can't do it with my hands b/c im not strong enough tried to unbend it when i saw what was occurring and it didn't straighten. best technique or tool i can use? already a tight spot to work in.
Old 12-13-2015

I'd expect pliers but I can't see what you are working with.
Old 12-13-2015
Super Moderator

Maybe you can use two sets of pliers if you have them.
Old 12-16-2015
Registered!!

MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had trouble lining the fuse box back up when I put in my EP34 relay. Takes a little wiggling and swearing but it pops in right eventually, lol

The relay works perfect, I have white LEDs in my rear turn signals and I'm putting amber/white switchback LEDs in the front soon!

Thanks poopies for the DIY!
Old 12-16-2015
Administrator
Administrator

Switchbacks are the poop. I love mine
Video for kicks and giggles. My angel eyes aren't hooked up anymore

The video does give everyone a good idea of what the increased flash rate looks like, though