Yet another 04-05 tail light conversion in an 01-03

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Yet another 04-05 tail light conversion in an 01-03

Here's another alternative to the 04-05 tail light conversion in 01-03 coupes.
Here's the original conversion DIY guide using a RadioShack adapter (courtesy of gearbox)
Here's a DIY using OEM parts (courtesy of sam68

This alternative involves no crimping, spade connectors, or wire extensions. This guide is simply a method to depin your old pigtail terminals and insert the pins into the 04-05 pigtail terminals. This guide was originally submitted (by myself) on another forum back in May 2010, and I have just now decided to copy it over. lol

I went to hondaautomotiveparts.com and bought (what I thought was) 2 male terminals for the tail light turn signals. Turns out I bought was 2 packs of 5 male terminals. I went from a ghetto-rigged radio-shack wire job to a plug and play oem looking turn signal socket by de-pinning the 01-03 male terminal and gently forcing (lol) the pins into the 04-05 socket. Only thing that sucks is it kinda stretches the wires to the limits, but whatever.. If I get frisky, I'll solder in 1-2" wire extensions.

With that said, I have a few sets that I'm not gonna use. Anyone want 'em? I figure they're too cheap to sell (5-pack costs 4 bucks), so I'll hook people up where needed.. I've already given away a couple sets, I'm guessing I have another 2 sets left over.

I do accept donations though. lol

If you want 'em, you should prolly PM me your mailing addy so I can get 'em to you. lol

Here's a half-assed DIY for the process.. I don't know if this is actually how to do it, but here's the way I did it, and it worked.. semi-destructively.. lol

meet your 01-03 tail light turn signal terminal. What I did first is pry off the white piece. I used a knife on the edge (marked in yellow) and pried it upwards
Name:  SDC13177.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  42.6 KB

Until it looked like this
Name:  SDC13178.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  42.6 KB

Next, I took that same knife and used it to lift the two.. retainer.. prong.. somethings.. I jabbed the knife into the side (or underneath.. don't really recall) where the yellow arrows point, and lifted it upwards. The pins should slide out easily while you're lifting.
Name:  SDC13179.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  42.7 KB

Now, the pins will have 2 sides that protrude. Looking at the tip of the pin, it'll kinda look like this:
Name:  pin-1.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  980 Bytes

Insert the pin into the new terminal so the part circled in yellow fits in the gap the pin protrusions make.
Name:  SDC13204.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  57.1 KB

You'll feel a bit (lot) of resistance when the pin gets about halfway through. I took a pair of pliers, held the wire firmly just behind the pin, and gently forced it the rest of the way until the pin was fully inserted into the terminal. I don't think polarity matters unless you're using LED bulbs and even then, simply flipping the bulb will alleviate that... Now plug in the bulb and see if it works.

The way the pins sit in the terminal, it pretty much renders the little locking device on the new terminal useless, so I lopped off the little prongs on the locking device so it would actually sit the way it's supposed to. With how snug the pins are in there, I highly doubt you'll need it.
Name:  SDC13205.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  47.7 KB

Repeat on the other side.
If you don't wanna ghetto-rig it this way, they sell the pigtails for the terminals, too.. Packs of 10 for 10 bucks. Wish I caught that earlier.. Oh well. This works, so I'm not complaining.

P.S. I assume no responsibility for anything that might go wrong in your installation (i.e. if your **** doesn't work). The instructions I posted worked for me.