Mini DIY- Install Aftermarket LED Taillights (01-05)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Mini DIY- Install Aftermarket LED Taillights (01-05)

Hello there! If you're like me and want to change your monochromatic tail lamps with something snazzier, look no further! I couldn't find any aftermarket lamps for the 2001-2003 models that didn't look hideous, so I opted for
this set this set
for the 2004/2005 coupe. It allows for... AMBER TURN SIGNALS!

***If you have an 04-05 coupe, skip to the green Anyway. It's straight plug-and-play for you.***

I already knew that the side marker would be useless and that there would be some difficulty with the turn signals. The bulb socket size changed between the 01-03 and 04-05 models. There were some good DIYs on them, so I was never in the dark. I recommend reading both.

Here is the original DIY by sam68:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ory-parts.html

...and here is a repost of ZEN_MASTER's improved DIY:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...onversion.html

RadioShack just went under recently, so it's kind of hard to find the leads specified in ZEN_MASTER's turn signal fix. I had to drive an hour to find them, but they work like a charm!

4 bucks at your surviving RadioShack

xRiCeBoYx sent me a link to his article about repinning the sockets for a more OEM, less Frankensteiny look, but I'm all about that instant gratification. Thanks for the link man, I'll probably do it when I get bored someday . For anyone interested, it's a good read as well.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4682529

So anyway, you have three socket holes for the bulbs. I have color coded the arrows just for you. Brakes, turn signals, and reverse lights.

Anyway, one major concern I had was with the LED brake light. It turns out that everything has been taken care of with the housing. All you have to do is make sure the side with the black wires is on the same side as the other black wire. Like so:

There's even a sticker telling you what to do. If you hook it up the wrong way, the LEDs won't turn on and your car will make the "door open with lights on" beep whenever you hit the brakes. Don't ask me how I know this.

So you're probably wondering... "jeez Poopies, why don't you get to the point and show off your new lights!"
I thought you'd never ask!

Before

Just or teh lolz

The finished product. Note, my camera does not like LEDs. They are much brighter than you see. Even brighter when you push the brakes.

Close up, you can see my new reverse bulbs!

Here are the new side markers. Once again, the pic doesn't really do them justice.

Amber signals! They're a lot brighter than you see here (and they came with the kit!), but I'm sure there are better options.

Since I already had LED brake lights, I decided to change out my reverse lights too. I love my Philips LEDriving parking light bulbs, so I opted for these:

MAN, are they bright now! They look cool as hell in the housings too!

If anyone is interested, I can take some shots when it gets darker!

I hope you enjoyed the DIY. Happy modding!

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 04-07-2015 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Updated a DIY link
Old 04-06-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Mini DIY- Install Aftermarket LED Taillights (01-05)

great write up!
Old 04-07-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I think I'm gonna port my DIY on the other forum over here. Really, it's just a copy and paste deal. Lol.

Seriously, if you ever want a pair of pigtails terminals to make it all oem-like, lemme know. I think I have a few pairs left over, still.

edit: Ported my DIY guide over, updated the link in your original post.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 04-07-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Are all after market tail light from 2001 to 2005 is the same size. I wanna change my stock tail light. My is honda civic coupe 2004. somebody selling aftermarket tail light taken off from civic coupe 2003. Will it be fit on my car?
Old 06-14-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, the 2003 ones will fit. The only issue is the turn signal socket. If you look at the link to ZEN_MASTER's fix that I provided, you'll see that the sockets aren't the same size. Just get two turn signal sockets from a 2003 Civic from your local Honda store and get the little adapter. It's super easy.