DIY: Disable DRL's

Old 10-11-2011
Sedans > Coupes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the roughBrian1037 is a jewel in the rough
DIY: Disable DRL's

It may seem like common knowledge on how to disable DRL's, but when I wanted to do it today, I ended up doing a lot of Google'ing and not finding any answers.

This was tested on a 2005 Civic LX sedan. I'm fairly certain that 2001-2003 will have a different system because of the different headlights. Need confirmation though.

In Canada, DRL's are mandatory on all cars made after Jan 1, 1990, so if you're driving around without any sort of lights on, on the front of your car then you can get a ticket.

My reason for disabling them was that I wanted my fogs to be on 24/7 and serve as my DRL's. It looks nicer and will prolong the lifespan of my high beam bulbs.

And lastly, do it at your own risk! There isn't much that can go wrong here, but as with any electrical stuff, it's a good idea to know how it works.

First you'll want to open up your hood, and then open your fuse box. In there, take out the fuse puller:

Now go to your fuse box under the steering wheel. If you look at the sticker describing the fuses, you'll see two daytime light fuses. You only need to pull fuse #12. use your little fuse puller to take it out.

The DRL's will not turn on anymore. All other light modes will work, including high beams. Also, something I didn't expect was that the DRL indicator light on the dash when turning on the car will not appear anymore.

Enjoy no more DRL's!
Old 10-11-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: DIY: Disable DRL's

Good work Brian!
Old 10-12-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light
Re: DIY: Disable DRL's

Nice work. I think I'm going to tap into the cig lighter hot, to power my OEMs. Kinda sucks to have the on only with low beams.