2003 2dr LX to EX exhaust swap? [D17a1]

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlexFromCali is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 2dr LX to EX exhaust swap? [D17a1]

Hello, rebuilt a 2003 2dr lx civic. 138k miles on it, put a felpro gasket set on it, resurfaced cylinder head, new timing kit...

It is an automatic, but I want it to last.
The next upgrade i'm thinking of is LX to EX header/exhaust system swap.

I live in California and i'm not sure what's legal. I'm not looking for sound, i'm looking for an upgrade.

This is my current manifold

I obviously know an option is an EX header for the D17a1 engine, or a Megan's Racing header...

But how would I go about getting the parts necessary that attach to the exhaust. To my understanding the cat attaches directly to the header.

So either EX header or Megans racing for the 2003 2dr D17A1 civic but what is the parts list im looking for in California?

I can obviously put stock exhaust if it's all bolt on for smog, but I want a simple EX upgrade due to the stainless header and pressure relieve on the engine itself.
Old 01-18-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 2dr LX to EX exhaust swap? [D17a1]

You need basically everything from the header/exhaust manifold back. The ex's cat is located underneath the car as opposed to the dx/lx where is integral to the exhaust mani. You're also going to need to extend the O2 sensor wiring to reach the new locations.

Being in cali, it may be a bit more difficult. I'm not sure the requirements for legally replacing your cat, not to mention you're gonna need to find CARB legal parts

Edit: a nice little diagram I drew with ms paint a while back
Name:  exhaust.jpg
Views: 5660
Size:  31.2 KB
Old 01-18-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
You need basically everything from the header/exhaust manifold back. The ex's cat is located underneath the car as opposed to the dx/lx where is integral to the exhaust mani. You're also going to need to extend the O2 sensor wiring to reach the new locations.

Being in cali, it may be a bit more difficult. I'm not sure the requirements for legally replacing your cat, not to mention you're gonna need to find CARB legal parts

Edit: a nice little diagram I drew with ms paint a while back
It's starting to be clear, thanks for the help.
How can I order this online?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2002-20...FVBBG7&vxp=mtr

This surely looks like the fit, and it has the specification for it.

It's also CARB regulated meaning it's legal according to CA Emissions Board or whatever.

It doesn't list if it's aight for 2dr LX, but it says it fits for EX, which is compatible with the D17a1.

Also it says
1. Inlet 2 bolt welded
2. Outlet 3 bolt welded

Do I have to take it to a muffler shop to attach (weld) to either a
1. EX Manifold
2. Megans Racing Manifold (EX 2dr Compatible)
And the resonator and muffler.

I have all the proper hand tools to torque to spec or formula, but does that part look correct for
http://www.ultrarev.com/Megan-Racing...2QKBoC0vTw_wcB

or even just this combo, however i'm not sure if on that down pipe is the cat converter (welds look like tig, quality):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Racing-S...SiCIeA&vxp=mtr

This combo^ says it's bolt on, but what about the down pipe, does it weld onto the resonator or is it bolt on as well? I'm really hooked on this OBX Racing Stainless Steel one as mine is cast iron (raw iron or whatever) and is really degrading. What do you say?

Thanks for the help Riceboy and it's nice to meet you, i've seen you on the forums quite a bit. I'm 16 y/os and this is my first project car which I finally got to understand in/out.

I don't even need an exhaust mani gasket as my fel-pro head gasket kit came with one. Oh and I ordered the gasket set from partsgeek.com and apparently they had a warehouse error so they sent me x2 gasket kits for the price of one. Thumbs up for x2 head gaskets, x2 valve covers, and dozens of seals/gromets/etc.

Can you please guide me? The exhaust and alternator are probably the only 'worn' parts on my car and an EX system swap would definitely help my engine run smoother.

I'm also well aware of not splicing o2 sensor, instead getting adaptors to extend them, which is exactly the plan when I figure this out.

Last edited by AlexFromCali; 01-18-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2016
Registered!!

By the way I've seen your 02 ex coupe, can't wait to show you what I got under my hood. Convinced the owner it had a tranny problem, later to find out it had a ****ED front lower (driver side) control arm bushing that fell out as soon as I unbolted.

1,800 138k miles, interior 90%. Cylinder Head sort of sludgy, nothing major... Going to run mob1l synthetic now. Napa gold filter.

Cylinder head resurface, semi-amateur valve job (cleaning with the lapping compound really)

Put in 3.2k including purchase of car so far and i'm reassembling it while sort of swagging it out.

Salvage title only because the front bumper reinforcement bar was dented/chipped, no welded frame damage though so that's just a 50-75$ replacement for a shiny new one.