DIY tech: Easier way to tighten serpentine belts

Old 11-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jtg199 is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY tech: Easier way to tighten serpentine belts

Hey guys,

I was changing my timing belt one night and figured out a way to tighten the belts easier. Not sure if anyone has done this but I just wanted to share. When tightening the compressor/alternator belt, I used a 27mm socket to slip over the wing nut and used a 1/2 inch ratchet to turn it. It made a huge time difference tightening the wing nut. You could probably use a 26mm or even a 25mm since the 27mm was a little to big, but got it done. I did this with the power steering out of the way. Not sure if it will work with it in the way.

-jtg199
Old 11-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Easier way to tighten belts

good idea,

i normally use a pair of large pliers
Old 11-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You don't really want to know how I really do those belts.....

I have a junk socket, maybe 9/16" with two slots cut in the sides that slips over the wings, I can use an impact gun on them now LOL.
Old 11-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
drhawkinz has a spectacular aura aboutdrhawkinz has a spectacular aura about

i just took the bolt to Lowes and got a new one with matching threads but without wings on it so I can put a regular socket and ratchet on it.
Old 11-04-2014
Former Sponsor

Brandon@fattysmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a good idea!
Old 11-04-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: DIY tech: Easier way to tighten serpentine belts

funny enough, how a simple thread like this deserves it's place on the DIY Moved to DIY! thanks!
Old 11-04-2014
Registered!!

jtg199 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
funny enough, how a simple thread like this deserves it's place on the DIY Moved to DIY! thanks!
Awesome!
Old 08-21-2015
Registered!!

honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by drhawkinz
i just took the bolt to Lowes and got a new one with matching threads but without wings on it so I can put a regular socket and ratchet on it.
Today I was re-tightening my 2003 Civic LX Coupe's alternator-A/C serpentine belt. For people's reference, the adjusting bolt is M8x1.25x75 (8 mm diameter, coarse thread, 75 mm long). See photo. I think it's probably Grade 10.9. Neither Lowes, Home Depot, nor True Value had the right grade; a long enough bolt; or a bolt that was threaded for over 3/4's of its length. Ace Hardware has metric Grade 8.8 threaded all the way to the head, 70 mm long, M8x1.25. I bought one and will try it as needed.

My belt had been squealing after overnight temperatures in the 50s or so. Before tightening, 24 threads were showing from the end to the "alternator adjuster stay." I tightened so that 30 threads were showing. I rigged up a postal scale and some rope to apply some 22 pounds of force. A bowline knot attaches to the belt. The rope wraps around a structural member. Another bowline knot attaches the postal scale to the rope end. I put the end of a ruler about where the rope attached to the serpentine belt to measure deflection. Pull on the scale to achieve 22 lbs. Line up the ruler with a part. Note the rule reading. Release the scale and see how much deflection there was.

I use a home-made wing nut socket (like ezone's) for tightening the adjuster. I PB Blastered and then anti-seized the adjuster fully before re-tightening today. Hopefully the tension is now in the ballpark and the belt is not overtightened. If this attempt fails, I may spring for a $50+ belt tensioning tool.

I miss my 1991 Civic. Tightening its alternator belt was so easy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	altadjbolt.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	87998   Click image for larger version

Name:	TensboltScale.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	87999   Click image for larger version

Name:	TensBoltLower.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	88000   Click image for larger version

Name:	tensboltupper.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	88001  

Last edited by honda.lioness; 08-31-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

If this attempt fails, I may spring for a $50+ belt tensioning tool.
If it still squeals upon startup, it's still a bit loose. I'd just crank the adjusting bolt one or two more turns tighter and see if it makes noise tomorrow.

I sure don't have the special tool, or scale and ruler and don't have time or desire to create it. I adjust belts by feel--- move the alternator with a prybar---, and use the logic above. Of course, lots of experience with keeping them quiet helps.
Old 08-21-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezone
You don't really want to know how I really do those belts.....

I have a junk socket, maybe 9/16" with two slots cut in the sides that slips over the wings, I can use an impact gun on them now LOL.
If it still squeals upon startup, it's still a bit loose. I'd just crank the adjusting bolt one or two more turns tighter and see if it makes noise tomorrow.

I sure don't have the special tool, or scale and ruler and don't have time or desire to create it. I adjust belts by feel--- move the alternator with a prybar---, and use the logic above. Of course, lots of experience with keeping them quiet helps.
Lol, basically what I do, sans impact wrench. I used a dremel to cut slots on a spare socket I had laying around. I think mine is 14mm. Still squeals? Same as ezone, tighten a bit, check tomorrow.

Originally Posted by honda.lioness
A bowline knot attaches to the belt.
I should not be this excited that someone else uses a bowline knot in everyday use.. lol
Old 08-21-2015
Registered!!

honda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the roughhonda.lioness is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the further thoughts, ezone and xriceboyx. This belt is new as of about October, 2014. I ran it a month or so, and it was squealing first thing in the morning. I tightened the adjuster bolt four turns. I still got the squeal, though maybe less often. Only in the last two months have I been able to resume my Honda's maintenance. If I do not get the squeal in the next few weeks, I will go in there and loosen the adjuster bolt a turn or two. I do not want to shorten the alternator's life via a too-tight belt. Or I am overthinking this. Either way I will chalk this up to getting experience tweaking the tension on the super wide serpentine belt and yes, getting a feel for what's right.
Old 08-21-2015

If I do not get the squeal in the next few weeks, I will go in there and loosen the adjuster bolt a turn or two.
I would not. If you get it tight enough to stay quiet, I'd leave it there.

Stretch can be a problem with lower quality belts.
Old 04-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

****er , and all this time i been adjusting the ****er alternator belt the freaking wing nut.. i didnt realize i could slide a socket and i have all those sizes..
Old 04-23-2016
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to notch the socket to fit over the wings of that wing... screw? Us that the proper term for that adjust bolt? Sure. It works
Old 04-23-2016

Name:  vYqW9Bs.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  759.3 KB
Old 05-02-2016
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dsm482 has a spectacular aura aboutdsm482 has a spectacular aura about

thats not funny,, i been busting my knuckles all these years)
Old 05-02-2016

Originally Posted by dsm482
thats not funny,, i been busting my knuckles all these years)
Jeez, I suppose you get dirty too?

Nobody ever told me I had to get dirty to fix cars, so I avoid it as much as possible.

/admires my clean fingernails

Name:  fingernails.jpg
Views: 5868
Size:  147.2 KB
Old 07-28-2018
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rileysowner is an unknown quantity at this point

This was just what I was looking for. We just purchased a used 2005 Honda Civic and had occasional belt squeal. I looked up videos on how to adjust, and finally got to it today only to be very frustrated trying to get the wing nut to move for the alternator/AC belt. Pliers did nothing to help at the wing nut is vertical and the space doesn't allow for my hands to fit well. I will have to see if I have a big enough socket, or notch one of my many spare smaller sockets. You have given me hope that I can actually get this tightened.
Old 07-28-2018

Originally Posted by rileysowner
This was just what I was looking for. We just purchased a used 2005 Honda Civic and had occasional belt squeal. I looked up videos on how to adjust, and finally got to it today only to be very frustrated trying to get the wing nut to move for the alternator/AC belt. Pliers did nothing to help at the wing nut is vertical and the space doesn't allow for my hands to fit well. I will have to see if I have a big enough socket, or notch one of my many spare smaller sockets. You have given me hope that I can actually get this tightened.
Did you loosen all of the mounting bolts first?

I just use a prybar from underneath to move the alt wherever I want it. Tighten bolts once the belt tension is correct.
Old 07-28-2018
Registered!!

Did you loosen all of the mounting bolts first?

I just use a prybar from underneath to move the alt wherever I want it. Tighten bolts once the belt tension is correct.
Yes, the bolts were loose. This is more a matter of rust due to salt used on the roads in winter around here. Using a socket that fits over the wingnut made it so much easier. Now the belt is pretty much where it needs to be in terms of deflection and the squeal is gone. Either way, it is a stupid design making adjusting belt tension overly difficult.
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Either way, it is a stupid design making adjusting belt tension overly difficult.
odd.....i find it to be a very good design making adjusting the belt very easy

put a bit of oil or WD-40 on the threads
Old 07-31-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
odd.....i find it to be a very good design making adjusting the belt very easy

put a bit of oil or WD-40 on the threads
So having to remove the power steering belt and move the power steering pump out of the way to get to the AC - Alternator belt is a good design? I find it clunky and difficult, not to mention the use of the wing top bolt. Even a normal bolt would be preferable. If you like it, good for you. I personally do not.
Old 07-31-2018

So having to remove the power steering belt and move the power steering pump out of the way
Why would you remove the steering pump? That's unnecessary. Just loosen it and slip its belt off.
to get to the AC - Alternator belt is a good design? I find it clunky and difficult, not to mention the use of the wing top bolt. Even a normal bolt would be preferable. If you like it, good for you. I personally do not.
Every belt drive system with multiple belts on the same pulley requires the removal of the outer belt(s) to reach the inner belt. Nothing unusual here.

Old 07-31-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I went caveman style to tighten the wing nut: one long wooden dowel on the wing nut and a hammer to hit the dowel....crude but effective. Pry-barred the alternator until no more squeal.
Old 07-31-2018

Originally Posted by Megalodong
I went caveman style to tighten the wing nut: one long wooden dowel on the wing nut and a hammer to hit the dowel....crude but effective. Pry-barred the alternator until no more squeal.
A real caveman would have used a rock.