DIY - DC Sports 4-1 header install w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
DIY - DC Sports 4-1 header install w/ pics

Installed a new DC Sports header... Here are some pics!

What you'll need:
12mm socket
Breaker bar (for the bolt on the far right)
Socket wrench
At least 8 inches' worth of extensions
WD-40 or other penetrating oil
Replacement bolts in case you snap one (they can be brittle): Part 16 here
Torque wrench (up to 23 ft-lbf)
Knowledge of how to use said torque wrench
A jack and stands
A new donut gasket if your current one sucks. Part 14 here. See below.

Here's the stock setup, of course.

And with it off now. Unlike some people here, I didn't have much of a problem getting the bolts off.

I made sure to take care of the gasket!

Here's the old one.

Make sure you take the donut ring gasket off of it and put it on the new one. Mine ended up causing an exhaust leak, so I got a brand new one. It's part 14 here.

Fresh out of the box, it comes with the header, two vinyl stickers (white), instructions, and a metal CARB sticker for the engine bay. Thanks, Auto Anything!

There should be instructions in the box, but if you don't have them it's 23 ft-lbf for the top 5 bolts (I had to guesstimate the oneon the far right) and 16 ft-lbf for the two (pain in the ***) bolts holding the header to the downpipe. Don't forget the springs!

Here's a close up of it installed. Sexy!

And all together, now!

The CARB sticker. I thought this thing wasn't CARB legal though.

Unfortunately, what would have been an otherwise easy install was hampered by my own ineptitude. I over-torqued one of the spring bolts connecting the header to the downpipe. In doing this, it snapped so now I have an exhaust leak on the driver's side. Here you can see the offending bolt is in there. It's gonna be a booger to get it off next weekend.

Here are the two spring bolts. The one on the left no longer exists as you see it here.

Fortunately, the Honda e-Store sells them for $10 apiece, so I've already ordered another pair and will get them changed out soon. I'm already tired of smelling exhaust.

One again, the torque specs for the bolts are 23ft-lbs for the top ones and 16ft-lbs for the spring bolts. I was more careful during the reinstall a few days later. Since the downpipe was only connected with one bolt, it started warping. I recommend changing both bolts like I should have done at the start.

You can clearly see the springs, the new bolts and the warped old one here:

Last edited by Poopies; 07-25-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: added DIY to title
Old 06-13-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: DC Sports 4-1 header install w/ pics

moved to DIY!

thanks!
Old 06-13-2014
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: DC Sports 4-1 header install w/ pics

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
moved to DIY!

thanks!
Old 06-13-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: DIY - DC Sports 4-1 header install w/ pics

That's purdy! Looks good.

What are you doing with your old stock header?
Old 06-13-2014
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GolNat
That's purdy! Looks good.

What are you doing with your old stock header?
Thanks! I'm probably gonna post it up for sale soon. It's not pretty, but it's in good shape!
Old 06-13-2014
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Good shape is all I need. I have an Lx so I was going to convert to ex setup with high flow cat for better flow. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Old 06-13-2014
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by GolNat
Good shape is all I need. I have an Lx so I was going to convert to ex setup with high flow cat for better flow. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Alright, I'll post it up tonight!
Old 06-13-2014
Prelude Owner

Appreciate it. No hurry though, got some other stuff I need to get for the car.
Old 07-20-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Nice!

Any noticeable difference compared to stock?

I've just done a DX to EX Full Exhaust Swap and I wonder if this is worth it, performance, sound wise.
Old 07-25-2014
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Thaik
Nice!

Any noticeable difference compared to stock?

I've just done a DX to EX Full Exhaust Swap and I wonder if this is worth it, performance, sound wise.
Thanks! It sounds a little cooler, feels a little more powerful, and I can peel out easy as pie (5 speed), but just like my intake I wonder if my mind is just trying to justify the purchase...