List of All needed parts for Timing Belt Replacement

Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fishtown boy is an unknown quantity at this point
List of All needed parts for Timing Belt Replacement

I have a 2001 Civic LX sedan. I was wondering if someone could tell me all needed parts for a Timing Belt replacement(Belt,Water Pump, Tensioner,etc.). My local garage said for me to get all the parts and they would do the repair......I want to have everything needed when I get there.

Thanks in advance.....

Sorry if this list is already in another thread
Old 11-04-2012
Registered!!

BNC8108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: List of All needed parts for Timing Belt Replacement

all the parts you should need are the timing belt and water pump. other than that you need tools which your not gonna need since someone is doing it for you.
Old 11-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

And the accessory belts.

If the car is on its second or third timing belt (150-200k+), I'd change the cam and front crank seals, and tensioner and spring (factory parts) ..
Old 11-04-2012
Learning in progress

Funkcrusader is an unknown quantity at this point

would it be easier to just purchase a timing belt kit that has pump, belt, and accessories than individual parts?
Old 11-04-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Easy? Sure.
Reliable? No.

Honda doesn't sell a "kit".

Factory only for me.
I can't afford discount quality parts.

Too much risk installing discount parts, all the valves in the engine are at stake.
Too many stories about aftermarket tensioners failing far too early.
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
And the accessory belts.

If the car is on its second or third timing belt (150-200k+), I'd change the cam and front crank seals, and tensioner and spring (factory parts) ..

Thanks....is the "spring" part of the tensioner?? I have no idea if the timing belt has ever been changed. Car is at 115,000 miles. I Just got the car.
Old 11-05-2012

At 115k, I would do the timing belt and accessory belts, and inspect the water pump..... Check the weep hole for green crusty trails, evidence of past seepage. Once you have the timing covers off, check around the body of the water pump. I'd expect there to be green crustys around the outer edge from the gasket seeping. If so, then replace it.

Original tensioner set should be ok until the next timing belt change @200k, the failures I have seen here were all over 200k on the original parts.

Front seals usually aren't leaking at this point on the cars I see here, so they are let go until the next interval too.

You can change all these parts if you wish. I'm just telling what I do in the shop where customers normally scream about prices.
Old 11-05-2012
Please, DubTee is my father, call me Dub

dubtee1480 is an unknown quantity at this point

At 115k, I would do the timing belt and accessory belts, and inspect the water pump..... Check the weep hole for green crusty trails, evidence of past seepage. Once you have the timing covers off, check around the body of the water pump. I'd expect there to be green crustys around the outer edge from the gasket seeping. If so, then replace it.

Original tensioner set should be ok until the next timing belt change @200k, the failures I have seen here were all over 200k on the original parts.

Front seals usually aren't leaking at this point on the cars I see here, so they are let go until the next interval too.

You can change all these parts if you wish. I'm just telling what I do in the shop where customers normally scream about prices.
Cool, I'll need to do my timing belt soon - it's a bit overdue honestly - and it's good to know that I shouldn't need to change the tensioner, just do it next time (and do it on schedule). I was going to buy the kit from H&A (http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html) which I assume is them collecting all the various Honda bits and selling it as a kit in light of your comment above.

fishtown:
I would note this: since you are paying someone else to do the work, he may insist you have all the parts since he is warranting the work. I would ask first and make sure he's OK changing the belt only and skipping the tensioner.
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

Do y'all know how to drain the engine block of water I have no idea just wanna make sure I have a good clean block before I put this thing back together
Old 11-05-2012

Originally Posted by BNC8108
Do y'all know how to drain the engine block of water I have no idea just wanna make sure I have a good clean block before I put this thing back together
Pull the water pump off.

Have a bucket under it before you do.
Old 11-05-2012
Registered!!

I hav already had the water pump off the block still has water in it is there a drain plug at the bottom of the block or something I have a d15b7 if that will help I have looked on google and it only bring me back here
Old 11-05-2012

Dang, like 4 different people asking stuff in this thread? I can't keep everyone straight.

I was going to buy the kit from H&A (http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html) which I assume is them collecting all the various Honda bits and selling it as a kit in light of your comment above.
They are a dealer, so I expect (HOPE) they use factory parts and just assemble a "kit" for you.

The block drains if you pull the water pump.
If just replacing coolant, only the radiator gets drained. That gets about half of the coolant in the system and most of the time doesn't present airlock problems in the heater system (big headache). Also no chance of stripping or damaging the block drain (bigger headache). 30k/2 year intervals for green coolant IIRC.
Old 11-05-2012

I doubt you can get the block DRY without a teardown.\

TILT the car to the side with a jack?
Old 11-10-2012
Registered!!

RichJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I used one of those little $7 pump thingies and sucked the antifreeze out through the thermostat housing. So when I removed the head and water pump very little fluid came out.
Great site ezone thanks again.

Rich
Old 11-10-2012
Registered!!

revr63ed7 is an unknown quantity at this point

And the accessory belts.

+1 totally agree
Old 11-11-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

funny...
nobody referenced this as of yet...
sticky on the mech troules section, which is actually a DIY.
funny 2: A guy asking for someone to do-it-for-him is on the do-it-yourself section instead...

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...arts-list.html
Old 11-24-2012
Registered!!

Ummm..thanks for the input.