DIY - Cam Position Sensor (TDC Sensor) Replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough
DIY - Cam Position Sensor (TDC Sensor) Replacement.

I made the DIY before I noticed the stickied one on the boards here, but I did mine a little differently, so I decided to post it anyway:

So the other day, my car threw a CEL - Cam Position Sensor, and my car pretty much turned into a limp turd, so I picked up a new sensor, and took pics of the install:

Here's the new sensor:

Tools needed:
- 10mm socket
- Ratchet with various extensions (3/8" drive is good)
- Slotted head screwdriver

Process:

- First, disconnect the negative terminal on the car's battery.
- Next, remove the ignition wire cover by turning the two screws circled in red one-quarter turn counter-clockwise.

- Then, remove the 4 10mm bolts/nuts, circled in red, and un-plug the 4 coil connectors, circled in yellow. Optionally, if you are planning on removing the valve cover entirely (I didn't, it isn't really necessary), remove the 4 nuts circled in white, and remove the coils entirely.

- Next, unscrew the valve cover bolts, circled in red. They don't have to be removed entirely, just unscrewed to the point where they can be wiggled up and down freely. The yellow circles indicate two bolts that are hidden under the wiring harness and a/c lines which have to be removed as well.

- Then, remove the grommet and un-clip the harness (circled in red) from the TDC sensor.

- Next, remove the three bolts from the timing belt cover, circled in red. Lift up in the end of the valve cover and slide the timing belt cover out from under the lip on the valve cover. Remove the upper timing belt cover (note, this can take some wiggling and a bit of force, but the cover is plastic, and is flexible)

- Next, remove the bolt, circled in red, and remove the old TDC sensor. Yell at it a bit for being a problem, then dispose of it properly. Install the new sensor, making sure the holes are lined up properly.

And there you have it, your car has some ***** again! Well, as much as a stock d17 can have...

Congratulations, you are now a certified mechanic!
Old 12-01-2011
Busy Speeding!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the roughSlimRisk is a jewel in the rough
Re: DIY - Cam Position Sensor (TDC Sensor) Replacement.

Pics arent showin up for me. Great diy though!!
Old 12-01-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend a bit of threadlock on the TDC bolt threads. After doing a head gasket change, mine vibrated itself loose after about 1000-2000 miles. It got lodged between the timing belt and pulley.. Shredded it pretty good, ended up bending all 16 valves. Just a friendly warning
Old 12-02-2011
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

Pics will be fixed shortly, the site they are hosted on went down for some unknown reason.

And thanks for the added tip about the thread locker...definitely not something you want coming loose.
Old 11-04-2016
Registered!!

BlueCivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any word on the pics for this DIY?
Old 11-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueCivic02
Any word on the pics for this DIY?
Pics probably don't exist anymore.

01-05 1.7L:
Basically, do whatever it takes to lift up the valve cover then remove the upper timing belt cover (see the timing belt DIY thread), then you can access the cam position sensor to replace it

these 2 pics are all I have in my stash of pics:

Name:  bZWPXBd.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  731.2 KBName:  7Ptxtcg.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  808.2 KB

2nd pic has a screwdriver shaft pointing to the CMP sensor, and the bolt was already removed from the sensor before I thought to take the pics.