DIY: Forgotten Tune Up Mods

Old 07-18-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
DIY: Forgotten Tune Up Mods

In my ongoing quest to keep this car running like new, i thought i would post some of the recent mods i did. In addition to these, you should keep your battery and terminals in good condition and inspect ground wires for corrosion. Make sure to check the electrolyte in the battery every month and add distilled water if needed. most battery have caps that can be pried open to add water. make sure terminal clamps are tight, and wires are securely attached. Anything connected to the + battery must have a fuse to prevent car fire if the wire shorts out. here is a list of fuses and wire sizes. its a bit on the safe side, and usually you can get away with using a fuse thats several amps higher for each wire gauge.

1. primary oxygen sensor. these are supposedly rated to last 100k miles by honda. I found that after 20k miles, the performance starts to drop noticably. I just switched mine out at 80k miles when the check engine light came on for low response. I suggest not waiting that long. The sensor is only $50 (01-03 civics) from advance auto and should be replaced between 20-40k miles, imo. it is super easy to change. you just unplug the connector, push out the wire grommets from the stock metal clamps, and unscrew the sensor. jacking up the front driver side of the car made things very easy. i used a cresent wrench and hollow pipe breaker bar to get the old one off, no special tools needed. they do have a special deep socket with cutouts for wires to fit if you want to buy another extra tool lol.

here is a pic showing the old sensor screwed in the downpipe just below header (EX) or in the manifold (LX).

for the EX, it is much easier to get to from under the car.

you want to get the BOSCH sensor OEM type with connector for 01-03 civics (part 13532), which is exactly the same as the stock part. 04-05 civics use a very expensive wideband sensor with a different part number. It even says NTK on the outside. Be VERY careful when installing the new one. the sensor is extremely sensitive. Do not touch or drop the tip. Keep the inside AND outside of the sensor free of dirt and liquids. The tip gets old just by being exposed to exhaust gas, but the outside can be damaged too by fluids like antifreeze. always keep it clean and wipe off any road spray with a damp water cloth. Apply a small amount of anti-seize grease to the threads before installing. Be careful not to get any on the sensor! be careful when handling a new sensor because alot of them already have anti-seize on the threads, which can easily get all over the sensor when opening the package.

You will notice immediate increase in throttle response and decrease in idle surge when coasting. The auto trans will shift from R to D faster. and you will get 2-3mpg better gas mileage compared to an old sensor.

UPDATE!! There have been problems with Bosch putting the wrong sensor in the box. I have heard of reports where user bought a primary sensor but instead there was a secondary sensor in the primary box. looks like someone messed up at the factory. So if you can, try to buy the sensor at a local store so you can examine it. here is a pic of the two types of sensor. on the right is the primary, and on the left (with a plastic cover) is the secondary. If you install a secondary into the primary spot, you will have problems since they are totally different sensors. beware of what you are buying and be sure it is the correct part in the box. These part numbers are for the 01-03 civic EX but again you must open the box and be sure the correct sensor is inside.

primary (upstream) downpipe sensor: bosch 13532

secondary (downstream) in the cat converter: bosch 13534

primary on right, secondary on left! do not go solely by the part numbers.

2. EGR valve. this thing came stock on all civic EX 01-05 and all 04-05 civics. Its purpose is to recirculate exhaust gas back to the engine in order to reduce harmful NOx emissions and also make the engine run slightly cooler. You can remove it with a socket wrench and extension bar, then spray inside the bottom with carb cleaner. spray until you dont see any more brown/black fluid coming out. Let it dry and then reinstall. Also a great time to paint the lower rusted portion of the valve before reinstalling. You can use a new gasket, but the old one looked fine so i didnt bother.

the car may take a bit longer to start up the first time after this mod, since it needs to adjust to the new conditions.

3. VTEC solenoid. Located on the rear of the engine, it controls when the cam profile switches under full throttle (racing). It has oil passages and also a screen mesh filter than should be cleaned regularly for optimum flow. A clogged solenoid screen (usually from using a K&N air filter that lets in too much dirt), will cause the check engine light to come on if enough oil is blocked. Engine code P1259 vtec malfunction. There are only 3 bolts holding the solenoid to the engine head. they are shown partially removed below.

there are three other top facing bolts that hold the head on. Should be very easy to remove if you have aftermarket intake. otherwise, you will need to disassemble the stock intake and hardware.

inside of solenoid with filter screen. remove the gasket and clean the screen with a cotton cloth. also clean around the mating surfaces and remove excess dirt on the edges.

you can take off the head and clean around that too. make sure the solenoid button works properly by pressing on it a few times.

4. PCV valve. located to the right of the throttle body down in the middle of the bay, it allows crankcase gases to vent and then recirculate with fresh air in the intake manifold. over time the stock valve may become clogged with oil deposits. Since the valve is entirely metal, you can spray it down with carb cleaner, then reinstall it. it is a simple spring loaded valve and should not need to be replaced, ever. be sure not to lose the washer when removing. First pull off the rubber hose connected to the valve, then use a 17mm deep socket to remove.

5. EVAP canister air filter. Bet you didnt know the car had four air filters. (one in the engine bay, two cabin filters, and the evap filter). This one is hiding out in the rear of the car, next to the fuel tank. It has one bolt holding it to the frame, and two hoses that just pull off. be sure to install the new one in the same direction. It is $20 from dealer and i recommend changing it every 100k miles. It was dirty, but not that bad. The filter is part of the vapor recovery system our cars have to burn fuel vapors that are trapped in the evap canister. it draws in fresh air from outside. here it is on the rear drivers side

taken off the car

and cut open just for fun lol

6. throttle body and IAC valve cleaning. over time, the throttle body and idle air sensors will get clogged with carbon blow-by and eventually get stuck, causing noticable idle issues such as stalling and surging. usually the worst deposits occur when the motor is breaking in during the first 20k miles. after you clean it once, it should not need cleaning for a long time (i cleaned mine 4 yrs ago and its still spotless inside).

first remove the factory airbox or aftermarket intake. the throttle body is underneath. locate the basic parts. IAC valve is bolted to the throttle body and has two coolant hoses running into it. remove the radiator cap to depressurize the cooling system (only remove cap when car is cold after sitting overnight, and wrap a towel around to catch any coolant spray). remove the vacuum hoses, sensor connectors, coolant hoses, and throttle cables (they unhook when you completely open the throttle and slide out the locking pins). then unbolt the throttle body. you may want new gaskets for the TB/IM and TB/IAC, but i reused the old ones.

the IAC has three philips screws holding it. be sure to use the exact size screwdriver to remove them. they are very tight and easy to strip. use some penetrating spray to loosen them first. IAC is removed and clean. you want to spray carb cleaner all over inside the port. try to avoid getting the connector part wet. it should look spotless when youre done. keep going until the carb cleaner flows out clean. use q-tips if you have to scrape.

throttle body is not as important, but you should clean inside anyway and spray carb cleaner on the middle valve. i polished mine up, but ofcourse it looks nothing like that now.

once youre done cleaning, reassemble everything. whenever the throttle body is removed, you must complete the idle learn procedure otherwise the car will not idle properly. to do this, start the car and warm it to operating temp. you can drive around to do this and should not have too many problems except unsteady idle. park the car and turn it off. open the hood, locate fuse box, and remove the FI ECU fuse.

put the fuse back in, close hood, and start the car. let it idle for 10 minutes in park or neutral without using any lights/accessories or pressing the gas. after 10 mins, shut the car off. start it again and go for a drive like you normally would. it will take up to a full tank of gas for the ecu to relearn fuel maps and readiness codes. the idle will be set, but it may take a while until the ecu adjusts and you start getting good mileage again. do not perform these mods if you are having the car smog-checked immediately afterwards. it is a guaranteed fail. you need to wait at least 100 miles or more.

thats all for now...keep your car running its best!

Last edited by gearbox; 08-14-2011 at 10:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gearbox:
Irishlumberjack (10-10-2022), Thettt86 (01-23-2021)
Old 07-18-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: DIY: forgotten tune-up mods

WOW great advice. i'm nearing 100K and should do this. guess i'm spending my paycheck on maintance this weekend instead of beer or i could have both
Old 07-18-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the best part is most of the mods are free! you could do the TB and IAC valve cleaning too while youre at it.
Old 07-18-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
colourwolf will become famous soon enough

Thanks gearbox, a good write up.

Even tho i dont have most of the stuffs above in my car (01 Lx)...it is good to know about them.
The following users liked this post:
9th Gen (11-26-2020)
Old 07-18-2008
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

Good Thread...
Old 07-18-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Good write up Gearbox, Im going to do some of them soon. Did you notice any difference with cleaning the EGR valve, VTEC solenoid and PVC valve?
Old 07-18-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

Nice!
so what are those red wire casings? and whered you get em? I want some!
9th Gen (11-26-2020)
Old 07-18-2008
Premium Member

they are just silicone kit from autozone and i cut a slit in them to fit around the cables like wire loom.

i did not notice that much difference cleaning pvc or egr valve. depends how good your engine is running. cleaning the vtec solenoid turned off the check engine light. i noticed the biggest difference changing primary 02 sensor and cleaning throttle body and iac valve.

oh yeah also check your throttle body coolant hoses, one of mine was about to burst cause the oem tube holder was digging into it. wouldve been a disaster if i didnt notice it. always look in your engine bay for stuuf that could go wrong! at least once a week if not more.

i am looking into changing the coolant temp sensor (next to egr valve) cause it controls alot of vital functions.
Irishlumberjack (10-10-2022)
Old 07-19-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

sweet write up gearbox

looks like I'm gonna have a maintenance day in a couple weeks when I have the entire weekend free
Old 07-19-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i just hit 100k last week. time to spend some time with my baby
Old 07-19-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thread gear. Made me think about a couple things to check while I have the car all ripped apart. +1 rep for that.
Old 07-19-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

yeah....a month ago i went down to honda because my car was having trouble starting...it'd sound like it was dying, then when almost dead, start right up....they were surprised to see that i still had my original OEM battery in there ('02 civic, bought nov. '01)...so i just replaced the battery, since it probably needed it anyways...but checking the old one, yes, my water in there was LOW!

I noticed the imrovements immediately, not just from starting up the car, but better gas mileage too! (have receipts from two 300+ mile trips to prove it!) went from about 300 on a tank back up to around 400 (roughly...but definitely at least another 75 miles out of a tank!)...better battery = more juice to plugs = better spark?

hmmm...thinking about checking out some other of these things as well!
Old 07-19-2008
Premium Member

icedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really niceicedcoco is just really nice

wow gear, thats great stuff. im at 110k and noticing things are feeling a little sluggish. i NEED to do these one weekend. thanks!
Old 07-19-2008
Premium Member

oh yes i forgot my favorite... lubecontrol.com products lol.
Old 07-19-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

great write up gear!!! I'll have to do this this to my soon-to-be wifes car!!! then mine soon only got 70k on it right now..but its ok but will keep these things in mind whenever I open up the hood.
Old 07-19-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

yeah this thread is A1. Is this part of the 7th gen book? I hope so!
Old 07-19-2008
Jza
Registered!!

Jza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the roughJza is a jewel in the rough

this is sick
Old 07-19-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Tragedy
yeah this thread is A1. Is this part of the 7th gen book? I hope so!
yeah its the whole reason i did them all over again to get the pics. but i havent had time to write anything with all thats going on right now.

Last edited by gearbox; 07-19-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2008
Registered!!

CivicPro01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im thinking of buying LubeControl LC20 and FP 60, is there a discount or anything you could offer? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2008
Premium Member

theres discount for lc20 i believe but not the new fp plus. oops, looks like they finally took the code out lol. sorry no more discounts. its still well worth it if you buy the gallon sizes.
Old 07-21-2008
CIVIC USER

jbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trustedjbrown59 should not be trusted

gearbox, what did you paint your header with?
Old 07-21-2008
Registered!!

sethro is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for this write up.

I just have one quick question, is the O2 sensor on top of the Catalytic converter? Do I just pull it off and install the new sensor.
Old 07-21-2008
Premium Member

there are two o2 sensors, dont mix them up! one before the cat (primary) and one after it (secondary). first one is important for how the car runs, but second is only for emissions. its slightly different for ex and lx tho but same idea. the lx just has the cat built in with the header.

my DC header was jet coated last year, but unfortunately its starting to rust already lousy humidity.
Old 07-22-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Nice writeup gearbox. Wish I could appreciate it more, but I can't since my car ain't workin' right. Until then...
Old 07-23-2008
Premium Member

get a new throttle body and call it a day
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

VicBNimble is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome write-up! I found the O2 sensor to be much more expensive for my 05 LX (around $120) unfortunately. Great idea of dressing up the underhood cables/hoses with a red silicone hose kit!

Last edited by VicBNimble; 09-24-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 09-24-2008
Premium Member

thanks. the 04-05 uses a different wideband sensor which is more expensive. be glad you dont have the rsx, the one sensor costs over $250.

update! i was able to polish up my header today and it looks much better. still some rust on the flanges, but it looks a ton better.
Old 09-25-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gearbox
there are two o2 sensors, dont mix them up! one before the cat (primary) and one after it (secondary).
the primary sensor is usually called the "upstream" 02 sensor and the secondary 02 sensor is usually called the "downstream" 02 sensor
Old 09-25-2008
Love me some nice, long-lasting vics!

jgcentury will become famous soon enoughjgcentury will become famous soon enough

This should be sticky! Ty GB.
Old 09-26-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

*bump*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Forgotten Tune Up Mods