I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Two keys that operate differently.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
acmrrll is an unknown quantity at this point
Two keys that operate differently.

I purchased a used 2003 Honda Civic LX Coupe last year and I have two keys that came with it. Neither key fits everything. One key turns the ignition on and opens the trunk. The other key only opens the driver's side door. And neither key opens the passenger side door. To make matters worse, the driver's side has an automatic door lock/unlock button that doesn't work. So I can only unlock my driver's side door when I'm arriving and then I have to get in and reach over to unlock the passenger side for another person to enter. I was told it looks like the ignition lock cylinder had been replaced. And the lock actuator is out. Maybe even the lock assemblies on both doors. Ugh. I was told when I purchased the car that there had been an accident and damage was done to the passenger headlight. I could tell. Replacement in the future when money comes in. Looks like both doors took some brundt of the accident too, they're both pretty dented up still. Not sure if this has anything to do with the unability for them to lock or unlock with either key. Help! What can possibly be my major problem here and what steps are advised?
Old 02-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Two keys that operate differently.

I was told when I purchased the car that there had been an accident and damage was done to the passenger headlight. I could tell. Replacement in the future when money comes in. Looks like both doors took some brundt of the accident too, they're both pretty dented up still.
Crash damage: Look for the original VIN tag on each fender and door. See if numbers match. That might give a clue as to how much got replaced, but that might be irrelevant too.

The other key only opens the driver's side door.
Lock cylinders wear out and sometimes get replaced. The drivers lock sounds like the one that got replaced. Not everyone can retumble a lock cylinder to use the cars' original keys.
I do retumble our sidewinder locks all the time, we have the tumbler kit.
One key turns the ignition on and opens the trunk.
If the ignition had been replaced, that key would not fit the trunk. I'd assume both are original to the car.
neither key opens the passenger side door.
The passengers door lock may just have stuck tumblers from lack of use. Shoot some penetrating oil into it?
Could have damage or wear too, but nobody will know for sure unless it is removed and taken apart to see how well the key fits the tumblers.

I'd guess that if that passengers door still has matching VIN tag it will still have the original lock cylinder, and use the original key as does the ignition and trunk.

I was told it looks like the ignition lock cylinder had been replaced. And the lock actuator is out. Maybe even the lock assemblies on both doors. Ugh.
Test, don't guess!

To make matters worse, the driver's side has an automatic door lock/unlock button that doesn't work.
Power lock problems will have to be diagnosed accurately, not just guess and throw expensive parts needlessly.

If the switch can't operate any of the doors, why would one guess the drivers actuator? Easy to prove if it is really good or bad, no guessing. (The actuators do go bad though!)

Lock Switch could simply have been left unplugged by the bodyshop or the person that replaced the door lock cylinder. Wouldn't that be an easy fix if it were true?

HTH