Phone charger hard wire

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05gen7ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Phone charger hard wire

Today i decided that i wanted to hardwire a standard andriod usb cable to my car so i can keep my cig lighter open for other accessories, but when i cut the cable it has 4 wires (white, black, red, and green) does anyone know how to do this?
Old 05-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Phone charger hard wire

You cannot hardwire a USB to 12v and expect it to work.
USB powered accessories do not run on 12v.
Old 05-12-2012
Registered!!

Ya thats what i learned from Google. I tore apart one of those USB cig plugs and soldered wires to the lighter terminals. Then i soldered the usb cable to the circuit board. works great for now!!
Old 05-12-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You need to go to radio shack and buy an aux plug with wires on the end. Then take a USB charger that fits into the aux plug, plug it in to the RadioShack one and hard wire that to the battery. Then plug the cord you just cut, into the new hard wired plug. Like ezone said its 12v and USB runs off of 5V. You will fry your phones battery with 12v. That's why there are car charger adapters to step the voltage down.
Old 05-15-2012
Registered!!

wish i would have taken pictures but my camera wasnt charged and i was alone so it would have been difficult. but i will probably end up re doing it again with a new usb plus b/c the one i used is really big and i want it to not be as bulky. so when i do i might do a DIY. and just video it.
Old 05-23-2012
Registered!!

thcltd is an unknown quantity at this point

It's pretty simple. An hour's work if you are familiar with wiring, 2 hours if not. There's a few different ways to do it. The easiest ways are always to wire it through the lighter. I think this post is the best and easiest way to do it. Skip all the parts about installing the RCA plugs and scroll down to the part about installing the extra USB ports. The only difference is where he uses the USB extension wire, you would replace that with your USB charger wire. Everything else is exactly the same. If you know a little about electronics and you want to put it somewhere else, follow the same instructions but instead of piggybacking off the lighter, you can use a relay and tap into the direct power somewhere. I know it seems overwhelming, but if you are good at following directions, it's pretty straightforward. There's plenty of tutorials online about how to wire a relay into a car. That would actually be the proper way to do it, but is way works exactly the same so it doesn't matter. Just a little more ghetto.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...l?ref=esp-link

Last edited by thcltd; 05-23-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2012
Registered!!

that is what i did basically . but took the whole thing apart