DIY: Converting primary o2 sensor from narrow to wide band for KPRO USE ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
DIY: Converting primary o2 sensor from narrow to wide band for KPRO USE ONLY

So a while back Boilermaker posted My car got an IQ boost..... In it you will find that I converted his stock narrowband primary o2 sensor to a stock 04-05 wideband setup so that the Kpro can pick up AFR readings more accurately and take advantage of the PRB calibrations the Kpro is capable of. I wont go into much more detail because it starts to sound really nerdy and I also know that very few people are going to do this conversion, and if you do it, you already know the advantages of it. so here we go.

Supplies you will need:
-an automotive SPST or SPDT 12v 30a standard relay. preferably one that comes with a socket, otherwise spade terminals and a crimp tool work just fine.
-you'll need a few feet of wire, 16AWG.
-3 OEM ecu pins. You need to add wiring to the oem connectors. My dealer looked at me like i was crazy when i asked for this, so i bought an entire harness on ebay and gutted it for connectors and pins. This is where I got my vtec connectors from
-zip ties.
-a wire fishing tool or clothes hanger to run your wires through the large firewall grommet.
-soldering iron and solder.
-electrical tape.
-an AFR sensor from honda for a 04-05 D17 civic. this is the only one we know works for sure, it's likely other blue plugged honda AFR sensors will work with the Kpro calibration, but it's a gamble.
-about an hour of time.
-a new kpro map for your setup.

Procedure: 3 pins are being added to your ECU, a relay is being added to the circuit and a sensor is being replaced, obviously.
The first step is to drop your glove box and get to your ECU. I prepared my wiring on the bench, outside of the car. it's a fairly simple circuit.

You can use a honda relay if you want, but a generic radio shack relay works fine. I labeled the diagram for both. If you're using a SPST relay, you have 4 pins, if you have a SPDT relay you have 5. Either way you only need to use 4 pins, if you get a SPDT relay, just terminate pin #87a.
pin 85: connect this to the thinner of two black with white stripe wires in the wide grey plug near the ECU.
pin 84: connect this to pin E8 in the ECU.
pin 30: goes to a constant 12v source such as the ignition harness
pin 87: goes out to the sensor.

inserting pins is fairly simple. it's easier to show on the grey plug. youll notice it has a wide white insert, using a pick or small screw driver pry it up a little. you cant pull it all the way out.

ignition tapped here for the relay. be sure to solder and tape this connection.

finally, there are two wires you will snip out of the factory o2 connector, and where you will add the two you just ran out to it. you will also need to change the gender of this plug, if you cant get a connector, you can hardwire the o2 sensor. I used some snazzy heat deflecting loom to mine and extended my wires since my primary AFR sensor is no where near the stock location. If anyone is interested I can make a few "kits" that include everything you need for this conversion and have it prewired and labeled so you can simply run and plug in your wires. Anyways, once youve done this your car has officially been converted to 04-05 o2 sensor layout. now you simply follow the directions on hondatas website to enable the secondary o2 sensor, which just requires you to move 2 pins. Moving them is just as easy as putting them in, once the lock is lifted out you can gently tug on the pins to get them out of the connector.

Im going to update this thread when i feel like typing more. do this at your own risk. My first impressions are....damn. i cant believe i drove my car without this for as long as i did. the difference is night and day and having the AFR datalogged with everything else makes tuning a hell of a lot easier. have fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AFR.jpg
Views:	1094
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	75648  

Last edited by skipbarber; 01-20-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supafil25 will become famous soon enough
Re: DIY: Converting primary o2 sensor from narrow to wide band for KPRO USE ONLY

how much for a kit?
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Converting primary o2 sensor from narrow to wide band for KPRO USE ONLY

^^ uhhh. its not a kit. lol. he is simply telling you how to do the conversion.

awesome post BTW. should be stickied and maybe should be posted on k20.org!
Old 01-21-2009

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by supafil25
how much for a kit?
im thinking like $20+ shipping , since all im really doing is providing ecu pins and a relay pre-setup and there is still some wiring the end user will have to do. the new AFR sensor would not be included, obviously, but if there is enough interest i can probably get some at a discounted rate.
Old 01-21-2009

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
^^ uhhh. its not a kit. lol. he is simply telling you how to do the conversion.

awesome post BTW. should be stickied and maybe should be posted on k20.org!
i mentioned in the DIY that i could make a kit if there was enough interest.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

oh damn reading > me. doing it big huh!
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice edwin! +1 good stuff i might hit you up for one of those kits if I'm feeling lazy lol
Old 01-21-2009
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Bookmarked for later. Good stuff Edwin.
Old 01-21-2009
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all

good thing i already have an 04
Old 01-21-2009
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Good stuff- I was trying to figure this out on my own a while back. Glad to see you got it all figured out. =) Thanks, stickied!
Old 06-18-2009
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

bookmarked, i may end up pming u at somepoint if this doesntgo as planned
Old 06-20-2009
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

alright, performed said actions, any idea why i have 02 heater circuit malfunction code? p1166(yes i know it can be disabled, but i dont want to burn out sensor)
Old 06-21-2009

where did you tap your constant 12 volt source for your relay?
Old 06-27-2009
Registered!!

supafil25 will become famous soon enough

whats your paypal? i want to buy a kit, and the sensor i just get one for an 04-05 civic?
Old 06-27-2009
Banned

i tapped the constant into the radio power harness
Old 07-09-2009

does the relay click on when you turn the ignition on?
Old 07-09-2009
Banned

u know thats a damn good question, ill have to look into that. for now im tuned so its not as important, but id still like it to work
Old 07-09-2009
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty sure when I got mine I bought the sensor from an 04 LX, but it shouldnt matter. Make sure you buy the "Air Fuel Sensor" It should be around $110. Id you look at the parts schematic its the one before the cat. You could get one for an EX, or even one for a K20, anything should work with Kpro since they're all outputting the same values...
Old 07-10-2009
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

were did you get your sensor justin I'm having trouble finding any for less the $195

and adam I thought it was working on your car
Old 07-11-2009
Banned

it was working, but the heater failed, so bye bye sensor.... and go to rockauto or something, they have one, ill get u a part number on monday when i get home, i have the box at home
Old 07-31-2009
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light

Can this conversion work on a PRA - ecu that is normaly using 2 narrowband
sensors?
Old 07-31-2009

This conversion DIY was made for D17's originally running with just 2 narrow band o2's. As long as you do this, and load the correct calibration, you should be fine. I've discovered that loading the correct calibration is KEY, otherwise you can run into problems. I didn't have to disable any codes to get this setup to work correctly on two different civic's. So if you come up with a code, check your wiring, ensure relay functionality and double check that you have the correct calibration loaded onto the Kpro.

Last edited by skipbarber; 07-31-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2009
Registered!!

hey edwin I just got the wideband sensor in the mail yesterday I'm about to try to wire it up this weekend
Old 07-25-2022
Registered!!

whelan190 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi i have an 04 uk spec ep3 with a kpro and standard o2 sensors can i do this mod to my car and use my sensor or do i have to replace the sensor?
Old 07-25-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

thread is 13 years old.

EP3 have a K series engine
this thread is about the D-series engined civics.

so, you are asking in the wrong thread, unsure what you are asking. for D series engines, Narrow band is used on 01-02 civics, 03-05 are wide band.No idea for US EP3, much less UK EP3

a 5 min google indicates the EP3 uses wideband primary o2, 2nd is narrow

why do you think the sensor is narrowband?
The following users liked this post:
BrotatoChip (07-27-2022)