DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)

Old 07-28-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Post DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)

Ok, yea its simple, but hey alot of people want pictures instead of just an explanation. So here we go for all the noobs, so i will not use a bunch of confusing terms. This was done on a 01 civic Ex

All parts used

screwdriver
socket wrench
torque wrench
extender
3/8 spark plug lug
spark plug gapper (not shown)

note: Let your car sit, and your engine cool before starting this

First remove your little wire cover on top that sez Honda or Honda vtec

now take off the little caps right here

then you will have to disconnect the harness on top.. Should look like this

Now pull that sucker out! should look like this (i had to usee the screw driver for one of mine cause it was on there pretty good)

now attach the extension on ur wrench, and put on the spark plug lug and stick it on down there

rotate counter clockwise till it comes out, heres what mine looked like and they have never been replaced i believe. unless the first owner replaced them

now the new ones

comparison

Check out this link http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp

If you have iridium plugs generally The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration.

As for other plugs at this time go ahead and check the box to see if they are pre gapped, if not gap the new plugs with your gapper tool... should be .044
No pic

heres all of them once i removed them.

Now guys if u are gonna take pics like me cover up the holes so that nothing falls in there. Just a precaution, i put the tubes back on in all the holes while i took pics

now when puttin the new ones in go ahead and attach the plug to the end and slide it on down there, and being to screw it in with your hand using the extension, untill its gets snug. do it for all of them, and with the torque wrench torque them to 13ft/lbs

once u are done putting everything back on, u are good!

Originally Posted by mdawg
I have the NGK Platinum spark plugs that im going to be changing tomorrow. I was told that they would not have to be gapped, is this true? Also is it a major downfall If I do not have a torque wrench(I know if they are not in enough I will have a rough idle). Thanks for the write up!
truth, you dont have to gap them, but i just checked to be safe, cause u never know. if u dont have a torque wrench, u will still be good, but just be careful with them. Like remember how it felt with another plug. But remember dont torque it waaaaayyyy tooo much ya know. just get them in there snug. Think of it like this, they will heat up, and therefor the metal will expand or what not. Heat makes metal soft and for xxxxxxmiles u drive ur car they will be getting softer and harder depending on the heat. Now if u over torque them in, then i guess there will be a higher chance of them breaking off in there later on when they are replaced again. but yeah, just get them in there snug and u will be good.

Originally Posted by gearbox
iridium is better than platinum, due to the thinner center electrode. platinum really has no benefit other than long life. it is worse conducter than copper so if you want upgrade plugs, dont get platinum. iridium also lasts longer than copper but has an ordinary ground electrode so they do not last as long as platinum . for some cars like the rsx, there is a laser iridium which is a normal iridium plug with a platinum ground electrode, which gives it the benefits of smaller iridium electrode and also longer life of platinum plugs. but they are expensive like whoa.

Last edited by LT2004ever; 04-06-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

slowwhitecivic will become famous soon enough
Re: DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)

does it feel anythin different? cuz they arent exactly cheap..lol cuz i was gona change them out but not sure if they are worth it.
Old 07-28-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

^^ wondering the same, good write up LT..id give u sum rep but...i have to spread some around apparently.
Old 07-28-2007
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

thanks for that little bit of info. It sure beats paying honda $100 to change the plugs with the same crappy denso plugs. And just incase you guys were wondering. NGK irridium IX plugs do go on sale. At least where I live they had a buy 1 get one 1/2 on all NGK iridium plugs a while back. Next time they have em on sale im gonna get some.
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mdawg is on a distinguished road

I have the NGK Platinum spark plugs that im going to be changing tomorrow. I was told that they would not have to be gapped, is this true? Also is it a major downfall If I do not have a torque wrench(I know if they are not in enough I will have a rough idle). Thanks for the write up!
Old 07-28-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by slowwhitecivic
does it feel anythin different? cuz they arent exactly cheap..lol cuz i was gona change them out but not sure if they are worth it.
Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
^^ wondering the same, good write up LT..id give u sum rep but...i have to spread some around apparently.
Lol the rep system again, but you 2 as for different feeling, i dont know yet i havent really gotten down on it yet, i was just taking it soft for a little while, but i will keep everyone updated. imma put a review in the parts review thread after tonight and driving, then i will update my double your gas mileage thread

truth, yuo dont have to gap them, but i just checked to be safe, cause u never know. if u dont have a torque wrench, u will still be good, but just be careful with them. Like remember how it felt with another plug. But remember dont torque it waaaaayyyy tooo much ya know. just get them in there snug. Think of it like this, they will heat up, and therefor the metal will expand or what not. Heat makes metal soft and for xxxxxxmiles u drive ur car they will be getting softer and harder depending on the heat. Now if u over torque them in, then i guess there will be a higher chance of them breaking off in there later on when they are replaced again. but yeah, just get them in there snug and u will be good.
Old 07-28-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough

travis, you couldnt get that sway bar on but you can change the **** out of some plugs. mdawg, do not gap platinum plugs. you will bust the hell out of the electrodes. and no you dont need a torque wrench, just dont go ***** out trying to tighten them til they wont turn anymore.
Old 07-29-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

gotcha, but for coppers, and for iridium, u need to check the gap right?

AND YEA i can change stuff in my engine, but other than that it all is seized and sucks!
Old 07-29-2007
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,143 Likes on 798 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a torque wrench, hand tighten the spark plug until you feel contact, then use a ratchet/wrench to take it an additional 1/4-5/8 turn.. That'll give you the approximate torque spec for them.

I forgot where I read that, but that's how I've done it in the past.
Old 07-29-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Props for the old-school torque wrench Travis! Nice little DIY. Every one of these simple ones helps for folks just getting in to wrenching on their Hondas. Good stuff man. Rep when I'm able to again!
Old 07-29-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

when ur taking close up pixs, use MACRO...macro is for that specific use...its the pix with the lil flower on it.
Old 07-29-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nice writeup. i love how easy they are to change. i recently put in some $50 denso iridiums but didnt feel any difference over the coppers i had before. and if you use iridium, do not gap them or you will break the center electrode off.
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

karlozc2003 should not be trusted

which one is better guys platium or irinium?? Im so confused!
Old 07-29-2007
Premium Member

CivicHX01 is an unknown quantity at this point

most plugs come pre-gapped... and iridiums can't be gapped anyways... the tip is too small and fragile...
Old 07-29-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

iridium is better than platinum, due to the thinner center electrode. platinum really has no benefit other than long life. it is worse conducter than copper so if you want upgrade plugs, dont get platinum. iridium also lasts longer than copper but has an ordinary ground electrode so they do not last as long as platinum . for some cars like the rsx, there is a laser iridium which is a normal iridium plug with a platinum ground electrode, which gives it the benefits of smaller iridium electrode and also longer life of platinum plugs. but they are expensive like whoa.
Old 07-29-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
when ur taking close up pixs, use MACRO...macro is for that specific use...its the pix with the lil flower on it.

lol my camera is old... and i dont have macro, or i woulda used it. lol
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

karlozc2003 should not be trusted

Originally Posted by gearbox
Thanks . Im gonna pick me some NGK's irinium today. Kragen has them for $5.49 each. I called and ask. BTW stock #6441
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure to lube up the boots with some antisieze
Old 07-29-2007
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Good job on the DIY article. I got my plugs for over a year and I still havent changed them yet.

+1 Rep
Old 08-01-2007
Registered!!

psitsruben is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, has anyone heard about those new pulstar pulse plugs? I wanted to know if they really are better if its just a rip off.
Old 08-01-2007
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great DIY.... now I'll shall change my spark plugs, back to Denso Iridiums.. Good Job LT.!
Old 09-05-2007
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it have to be exactly at 13ft./lb??!?!?! I dont know if i want to purchase a 'torque' wrench.
Old 09-05-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by Dticalman81
Does it have to be exactly at 13ft./lb??!?!?! I dont know if i want to purchase a 'torque' wrench.
no, all u have to do is get them in there snug... dont torque it like u would your lugs on your tire, but just make sure it feels snug. When u take the first one out u should get a feel of how tight they need to be
Old 09-05-2007
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

I changed mine a while back, now my starting problems have got worse. When I hit about half tank was when my engine starts having to crank over multiple times before it seems like fuel gets into the engine. Now its doing it even before half tank, and its an excess of 10 cranks sometimes. I know I had the problem for, but new spark plugs just made it worse, you think they are bad? No idle or driving problems though.
Old 09-05-2007
Registered!!

skoot is an unknown quantity at this point

I changed mine a while back, now my starting problems have got worse. When I hit about half tank was when my engine starts having to crank over multiple times before it seems like fuel gets into the engine. Now its doing it even before half tank, and its an excess of 10 cranks sometimes. I know I had the problem for, but new spark plugs just made it worse, you think they are bad? No idle or driving problems though.

Sounds like a gap issue with the plugs or one is not tight enough...Also check your battery post and make sure they're not loose
Old 09-05-2007
Registered!!

mikem317 should not be trusted

BTW, I know it's already been mentioned, but you DO NOT want to gap iridium plugs. I think the electrode on these type plugs is uber sensitive, or something.

I have the same plugs, I love them. I noticed a small increase in fuel efficiency and better throttle response, although marginal.
Old 03-15-2008
Registered!!

dj_cronic_metal will become famous soon enoughdj_cronic_metal will become famous soon enough

changed mine today and used this diy great job
Old 01-10-2009
Registered!!

alejanseren is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the DIY...followed the steps and avoided paying the dealership $140+. now to figure out how to adjust the valves.
Old 01-10-2009
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alejanseren
thanks for the DIY...followed the steps and avoided paying the dealership $140+. now to figure out how to adjust the valves.
There's a DIY here on the site somewhere. Pretty easy.
Old 01-10-2009
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Omg, you can PAY to have someone put plugs in your car!? I never even conceived of it. And 140 bones! Pinch me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)