DIY: ground wire upgrade and HVS part II (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
DIY: ground wire upgrade and HVS part II (pics)

I've decided to repost this diy since the old one was out of date and no pics.

This is how to properly upgrade your stock ground connections for better voltage circulation. You can also hook up an optional HVS (hyper voltage system) from sun automotive. This acts as a capacitor for your entire car by eliminating voltage spikes and making sure the power from the battery is stable before moving to the electronic parts on your car.

Basically this involves replacing the factory grounds with thicker (4 gauge) wire and sanding the attachment points for a better connection. I decided to paint over the spots that I sanded so they don't rust up later. This is okay, since you attach the ground wire first before painting. That way it still touches bare metal.

There are only three grounding points to upgrade. So what I did was rip out all the old ground wires and get separate lengths of each. You can get ground wire from most audio shops around town and premade cables with ring terminals attached from batteries plus.

If you bought the HVS, it simply has two wires to connect. One to positive battery terminal and the other to negative terminal.

(1) The first ground goes to the main chassis from the negative terminal. Notice I sanded the paint off first, then attached the ground cable with a ring connector to the chassis, and then painted over it. this point is under the fuse box and not visible in the pic due to the wire harness on top.

(2) The second ground goes from the chassis to the tranny. I have an automatic, so I don't know if your grounding point even exists or if it goes somewhere else. Just look around for one to be sure.

here is a pic with the three mounting points for above connections: they share the same middle connection, and there are two separate wires being used. use the shortest length you can find. use dielectric grease between the chassis and ring connector to prevent rust and recheck the connection every year. if rusty, sand down to metal again.

(3) Finally, the last ground is near the thermostat by the engine that connects to the radiator support.

I hope this helps everyone. You probably won't notice a difference with the ground wires, but when combined with the hvs, you should feel a bit better acceleration from a stop and maybe get 1-2mpg better gas mileage. note that the hvs will slowly drain the battery over time. when i switched to a braille B2015 light weight battery, i had to remove the hvs.

Last edited by gearbox; 06-01-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
nice clear DIY! thanx gear!
Old 07-24-2005
I am your Mom's Hero!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really nice
Why thank you very much...will be doing this when I install my MM inserts...great DIY!!! Rep for you!!!

edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gearbox again.
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

Dirty4Door is an unknown quantity at this point
once again thank gearbox!
Old 07-24-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
just wanted to add that www.hardcoretuning.com carry nice grounding kits in your choice of colors. Shipping is quick too.
Old 07-24-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
not bad and only $30./
Old 07-24-2005
Registered!!

kickercivic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
nice diy
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

SiliconJesus is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anyone have the legnths required for this? I have two 2005's and wanted to get some made (I have a friend who I swap with, he does ground wires, I do vinyl).

Does anyone know the lengths? A search through the forums hasn't helped much as of yet.
Old 07-26-2005
Premium Member

i would just get string and measure whatever path you want. Mine aren't exact fit at all, some are just short enough, others are too long. It all depends on how you want it to look.
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
just a quick Q.... how would better ground points impove acel/gas milage? I understand the voltage thing cuz u have less resistance in the ground wires so everything else would work more smoothly but HP and gas milage? please explain. also how much is the HVS? thanx guys!
Old 07-26-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kyle23
just a quick Q.... how would better ground points impove acel/gas milage? I understand the voltage thing cuz u have less resistance in the ground wires so everything else would work more smoothly but HP and gas milage? please explain. also how much is the HVS? thanx guys!
I dont have any numbers for you, but my car felt a lot smoother after installing the grounding kit from www.hardcoretuning.com and my headlights are definitely brighter
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

Right, I understand why it would make ur lights brighter/ electrical work better but how would it make ur car smoother? Does a better ground relieve stress from the engie somehow making it work easier? Also how much for a HVS?

PoorCollegeBoy: do you have the HVS or just the ground kit?
Old 07-26-2005
G'z UP

Killacamshaft has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Nice diy
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
hey gearbox where did you get your grounding kit from cause if that HVS does do a bit more with the ground wires would like to get it.
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

Bigfella is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont understand how you will get better mileage and accelaration either?? But this thread is good cos i intend to upgrade the big 3 as we call it. As gonna be installing some hi-fi in my car. If you were going to upgrade all the earthing or grounding points why did you not upgrade the cable from the alternator to battery as well????
Old 07-26-2005
Premium Member

The alternator power wire is a pain to do and I was just lazy. My ground kit was bought here from happies when he had a group buy for them $40 shipped. Basically just 4 gauge wire with ring terminals on the ends. The grounds don't do much by themselves. Everything on the car is electronic, so they will only benefit from better grounding back to the battery.The HVS MR I bought for $180 on optauto.com
Old 07-26-2005
Registered!!

$180!!!? Holy ish! I dont think that would be worth it at all......
Old 09-02-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Kyle23
$180!!!? Holy ish! I dont think that would be worth it at all......
With the gas prices set so high the improved gas mileage will help. The savings will outweigh your cost. I have the buddy club condenser and my mpg increased by 3 mpg. The hp gained is most likely .5-1 hp.
Old 09-02-2005
Premium Member

ya i saw 2mpg better after putting it on. And better low end and throttle response. Not much but enough to notice if you remove it.
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

Dirty4Door is an unknown quantity at this point
Shocked!

i finally got the HARDCORETUNER ground kit installed after losing the tranny and radiator bolts into the unknown (about $.69)

but i seem to have ungrounded it instead, i get shocked everytime i exit the car now...some shocks more intense than others. i'm even little skeptical about pumpin gas.

the way the kit showed,
(water outlet bolt = gearbox's #3 pic)

leaves the chassis less grounded

since the stock ground wire to the thermostat was replaced, i took that and moved it to ground the chassis from the tranny (8ga). still shocked everytime

this part was left out.

i need to replace it somehow either with a new terminal ring on the battery end i think.

what am i missing?
Old 09-12-2005
Premium Member

um the shocking is normal. You just build up static when you sit in the cloth seat and then you touch the metal and get static shocked. It has nothing to do with grounding. However, I would not modify the factory ground wire locations. It looks like there is no chassis ground in that pic which is very bad. That is a terrible way to ground the car. You want each point tied back to the battery with its own separate cable.
Old 09-12-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
im really hoping this fixes that noticable KICK i get when sitting at idle and the AC compressor decides to turn back on.
Old 09-12-2005
Premium Member

Um yea mine isn't as noticable anymore.
Old 09-12-2005
Registered!!

IHeartMy02Vic is an unknown quantity at this point
i just ordered the buddy club voltage kit off robearracing.com

i'll let you guys know how it is
Old 09-12-2005
Premium Member

cool they're all pretty much the same, but its worthwhile to upgrade.
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

honda860 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thanks for the very imformative DIY i plan on doing that myself this weekend
Old 09-15-2005
Registered!!

kilo_02 is an unknown quantity at this point
i've been wanting to do that for my car thx for the DIY much props to you!!
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

wheamahm0n3yat is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone done this to a manual tranny???
Old 09-18-2005
Premium Member

no but I think the only difference is the tranny ground. Instead of directly to the tranny, there is a bracket or something. Just gotta follow the stock wires from negative battery.
Old 09-18-2005
Registered!!

wheamahm0n3yat is an unknown quantity at this point
so all you have to do is replace the stock wires with the 4 gauge wires? so do you happen to know how many wires are needed??? if i order the grounding kit from www.hardcoretuning.com , will it cover all thr wires i need???

thanks

Quick Reply: DIY: ground wire upgrade and HVS part II (pics)