Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen > 7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles > Electrical
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to civicforums.com!
Welcome to civicforums.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join civicforums.com today!



Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2004   #1
Registered!!
 
streetglower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Miami (Pembroke Pines), Florida
Age: 32
Posts: 17,209
Images: 3
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 315
streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to streetglower
How Do You Test The Door Lock Actuator? ( To All You Technicians )

I did a DIY on replacing this, but I have never really understood on how to test it to see if it is good or bad.

According to the service manaul, it says to test the door lock actuator:

1. Remove the door panel.

2. Remove the 2P connector from the actuator.

3. Check actuator operation by connecting power and ground according to the table. To prevent damage to the actuator, apply battery voltage only momentarily.

Terminal/position 1 2 ( gives a pic of the terminal in position 1 next to terminal 2)

Lock--- terminal 1. + terminal 2. -
Unlock--- terminal 1. - terminal 2. +

4. If the actuator does not operate as specified, replace it.


Now my question is are you connecting power to the 2P connecter or the actuator? It gives a picture of the terminals as 1 and 2.

Also how are you applying battery voltage, I am thinking through a volt meter. By switching the volt meter to DC voltage and applying it very quickly, am I correct?

And the last question is in either position, is there supposed to be some sort of voltage reading? I am assuming if there isnt a voltage reading after connecting it according to the table, then the actuator is bad.

Someone please help me with this, I am just trying to learn it because I am in a electrical class at school. If you have the service manual, turn to page 22-199 for this info.
streetglower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #2
Registered!!

 
4jacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Abingdon, Maryland, US
Age: 35
Posts: 1,394
Points: 15,637, Level: 80
Points: 15,637, Level: 80 Points: 15,637, Level: 80 Points: 15,637, Level: 80
Level up: 58%, 213 Points needed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 10.0%
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 170
4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 4jacks Send a message via AIM to 4jacks
This probably isn't going to be much help cuase I don't have the service manual. to follow along.
I hooked up my alarm w/ remote door locks on it a while back. So I played with it a little.
It's a 12V that operates the actuator. I went to the power lock wires underneath the steering wheel, so I didn't get to the 2P connecter your refering to. But I would think you should read 0 volts of the volt meter, except for the breif second you lock or unlock the doors with the accuator, which should read 12V. If you are getting a reading of 12V steady, wouldn't that mean that the actuator is constantly pushing towards one position??
__________________
Patrick
4jacks
4jacks@gmail.com
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004   #3
Registered!!
 
streetglower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Miami (Pembroke Pines), Florida
Age: 32
Posts: 17,209
Images: 3
iTrader: (13)
Rep Power: 315
streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all streetglower is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to streetglower
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jacks
This probably isn't going to be much help cuase I don't have the service manual. to follow along.
I hooked up my alarm w/ remote door locks on it a while back. So I played with it a little.
It's a 12V that operates the actuator. I went to the power lock wires underneath the steering wheel, so I didn't get to the 2P connecter your refering to. But I would think you should read 0 volts of the volt meter, except for the breif second you lock or unlock the doors with the accuator, which should read 12V. If you are getting a reading of 12V steady, wouldn't that mean that the actuator is constantly pushing towards one position??
So would I connect the volt meter to the connecter or to the actual actuator? I am assuming I would hook the voltmeter to the actuator and if it doesnt read any voltage, then it would be defective, correct? it says to apply battery voltage to it momentarily, but how would I do that? I thought I would just measure to see if there was voltage.

Anyone else have any comments?

Just trying to figure out the best way to test to see if the actuator is good or not? Mine are fine, but I just want to know how to test it. I am trying to follow along with the service manaul, but it is sorda vague in doing so.
streetglower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #4
Registered!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglower
I did a DIY on replacing this, but I have never really understood on how to test it to see if it is good or bad.

According to the service manaul, it says to test the door lock actuator:

1. Remove the door panel.

2. Remove the 2P connector from the actuator.

3. Check actuator operation by connecting power and ground according to the table. To prevent damage to the actuator, apply battery voltage only momentarily.

Terminal/position 1 2 ( gives a pic of the terminal in position 1 next to terminal 2)

Lock--- terminal 1. + terminal 2. -
Unlock--- terminal 1. - terminal 2. +

4. If the actuator does not operate as specified, replace it.


Now my question is are you connecting power to the 2P connecter or the actuator? It gives a picture of the terminals as 1 and 2.

Also how are you applying battery voltage, I am thinking through a volt meter. By switching the volt meter to DC voltage and applying it very quickly, am I correct?

And the last question is in either position, is there supposed to be some sort of voltage reading? I am assuming if there isnt a voltage reading after connecting it according to the table, then the actuator is bad.

Someone please help me with this, I am just trying to learn it because I am in a electrical class at school. If you have the service manual, turn to page 22-199 for this info.
The voltage is applied to the actuator, not the connector! A +12V is applied to the 2P actuator. Second of all, it is impossible to use a voltmeter to supply voltage any useful voltage to the actuator. A method you can use to get +12V to the actuator is by getting a power supply. Alternatively, you can use a cigarette lighter plug with NO ADAPTOR attached. Use 2 stripped wires to supply the +12V and ground with your ignition in the I position. Then you can use it to momentarily touch the actuator pins. You should also be using a high impedance digital multimeter for all of your troubleshooting to avoid damage to any sensitive components. An analog meter with a needle is unacceptable for any modern troubleshooting of car electronics.
__________________
Automotive electronics are my area of expertise.
tacheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #5
Registered!!

 
4jacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Abingdon, Maryland, US
Age: 35
Posts: 1,394
Points: 15,637, Level: 80
Points: 15,637, Level: 80 Points: 15,637, Level: 80 Points: 15,637, Level: 80
Level up: 58%, 213 Points needed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 10.0%
Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0% Activity: 10.0%
iTrader: (3)
Rep Power: 170
4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light 4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 4jacks Send a message via AIM to 4jacks
So tach am I correct in saying that reading the Actuator with a volt meter will read 0V??
I think your saying the only way to test the actuator is to actually run it, while I think street is looking for a method that could be used for troubleshooting.
And I'm just curious =)
__________________
Patrick
4jacks
4jacks@gmail.com
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004   #6
Registered!!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jacks
So tach am I correct in saying that reading the Actuator with a volt meter will read 0V??
I think your saying the only way to test the actuator is to actually run it, while I think street is looking for a method that could be used for troubleshooting.
And I'm just curious =)
Yes. The actuator will read 0V if you just put a meter to it. The only way to test the actuator is to run it. You can see if power is making it to the actuator of that door by unplugging the 2P harness going to the actuator and putting a multimeter to the harness side of the plug and pushing the power lock switch. You will see +12V when you push the switch one direction and -12V when you push the switch the other direction. The polarity depends on the orientation of the digital multimeter probes.
__________________
Automotive electronics are my area of expertise.
tacheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010   #7
Registered!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)
Rep Power: 0
luk77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How Do You Test The Door Lock Actuator? ( To All You Technicians )

Hello all!

Im having same problem with my left rear door. Took the panel off and measured voltage on the harness. It turned out that I'm getting something like 3V sometimes 4.5V on lock and un-lock.... What could be bad in this situation?

Thanks for any help
luk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010   #8
25+ Years Driving Japanese Automobiles

 
CraigW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,827
Points: 26,564, Level: 97
Points: 26,564, Level: 97 Points: 26,564, Level: 97 Points: 26,564, Level: 97
Level up: 22%, 786 Points needed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Activity: 99.3%
Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3% Activity: 99.3%
iTrader: (1)
Rep Power: 159
CraigW is a glorious beacon of light CraigW is a glorious beacon of light CraigW is a glorious beacon of light CraigW is a glorious beacon of light CraigW is a glorious beacon of light CraigW is a glorious beacon of light CraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How Do You Test The Door Lock Actuator? ( To All You Technicians )

The voltage pulse will be very short in duration and your meter will not have time to show the actual reading.

I would go with what the factory manual suggest and apply voltage to the un-connected (isolated) actuator directly to test.

Only apply power for a very short time.

Reverse polarity for up or down action.
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010
CivicForums
Honda Civic




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Tags
12v , 2004 , actuator , actuators , civic , door , honda , lock , power , replacement , replacing , switch , test , testing , troubleshoot , voltage

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Honda Civic Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Replacing door lock Assembly and Actuator (UPDATED WITH PICS ON POST 27) streetglower Interior 48 02-15-2012 11:06 AM
Anyone here a Technician at honda, Need help with power door locks? streetglower Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum 11 04-18-2005 08:34 PM

  
User Login
Our Partners


used new
Top 10 Threads
DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)
P1259 VTEC System Malfunction
01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video
DIY: Grounding kit Install
DIY Alternator High Output Upgrade
Grounding Kit Install
2001-2003 Honda Civic ECU Wiring
DIY cluster swap 2003 - 2004 dx also available for other models
DIY: Cruise Control FIX w/ LED tail/brake lights
DIY: Reset SRS Airbag light (With Video)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.

   
Advertising - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Content Copyright 2007 CivicForums.com
Emails Backup