DIY cluster swap 2003 - 2004 dx also available for other models

Old 07-17-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY cluster swap 2003 - 2004 dx also available for other models

here they are again.

Name:  greenplug.jpg
Views: 5099
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  blueplug.jpg
Views: 4583
Size:  46.6 KB
The following users liked this post:
Shahbaz Ansari (04-03-2020)
Old 07-17-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

here they are again.

Name:  greenplug.jpg
Views: 16313
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  blueplug.jpg
Views: 4976
Size:  46.6 KB
Old 07-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondafromeurope is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx for the pics, but i wonder. Do american coup's dont have a rear fog light ?? My european coupe from 01 has a rear foglight, which is operated through 2 wires connected to the gauge cluster. In all the rewire topics there is no mentioning about these wires. And now, after a 01/04 gauges swap, my rear foglight dont work. (red/wht and wht, no idea where to put them on the 04 cluster ) Can you help ??
Old 07-18-2009
Premium Member

americans do not have any rear fog light, nor is there any switch or indicator on the gauges. you may need to just wire your rear fogs separately on their own switch.
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

rdsanti is an unknown quantity at this point

What are my cluster options with a tach for a 2003 civic dx without a tach?
Old 08-14-2009
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rdsanti
What are my cluster options with a tach for a 2003 civic dx without a tach?
You could either directly plug in a 01 02 LX EX gauge or you can rewire your current plugs to make it work for 03-05 LX/EX gauges. Id recommend a 03-05 LX gauge because it doesnt have the ABS light like the ex does
Old 10-09-2009
Registered!!

tower16 is an unknown quantity at this point

do these diagram's work for Canadian models as well ? and i have an 01 dx going to an 03 dx cluster do i use the vp or the ex diagram ?
Old 10-09-2009
Premium Member

you only rewire if you are changing to the new style of cluster. all 01-05 dx/vp and 01-02 lx/ex can swap without any wiring. the new LED clusters from 03-05 lx/ex need to be rewired if you originally had the old style. canada is pretty much the same idea, except you guys have different models. like your si is our ex. and your si-r is our si. etc. but the wiring is pretty similar, you only have maybe one or two extra icons like washer fluid light. post pics of what cluster you have now and the one you want to switch to.
Old 06-23-2010
EM2 Owner

Black_EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

i needa put a 05 lx into an 05 vp/dx plz email is chris_sharpe@live.com

Last edited by Black_EM2; 06-23-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 05-22-2011
Registered!!

talon187 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have an 03 dx i can just swap in a cluster with a tach with no issue and make it work ? or a newer style with a tach and just swap the connectors?
Old 05-22-2011
Premium Member

you can swap in an 01-02 lx/ex cluster with tach-that does not require any modification. plug in and go (make sure you get the proper model, coupes have amber backlight and sedans have green). if you want the 03-05 lx/ex cluster with leds, you need to rewire the connectors.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Gearbox
Where do you get your wiring diagrams?

I'd like to swap in my Civic 2004 DX-SE(with tach, A/C, tinted windows) Manual Sedan a cluster from a Civic 2004 LX Manual Sedan.

Both are Canadian models.
Canadian models have washer fluid light, which may not be included in the wiring diagram you post.

Do you have the appropriate wiring diagram for this particular swap?
If so, here's my e-mail: kung_fu__thaik_lee@hotmail.com

Thanks
Old 10-11-2012
Premium Member

its from a paper green honda electrical manual (not the service manual). dont have any electronic copy but will try and look it up for you. most is the same, but few things are different for canada.
Old 10-11-2012
Registered!!

Thanks a lot Gearbox

I owe you one.

Where do you get all those manual?
Just goggling or did you actually buy them off the internet?
Old 10-12-2012
Premium Member

bought the service manual from handaaccessories.com and the electrical from ebay. they are both the green official honda paper manuals and have helped me a ton, esp the elec manual. has all the wire colors, diagrams, circuits, etc. i bookmarked this and will try to look it up tonight. work is killing me with these hours lol.
Old 10-14-2012
Premium Member

okay here are the changes if you are swapping an old style to a new style for canada: just refer to the diagrams above for the pin numbers.

red/wht (03-04 dx) or pnk (01-02) gauges and indicators (washer fluid level) wire for canada. originally in pin 1 of the green connector needs to be moved to pin 10 of the green connector.

wht/blu headlights (DRL light indicator) wire for canada. originally in pin 13 of the green connector needs stay in the same spot!

red/yel or red/grn headlights (hi beam indicator) originally in pin 9 of the blue connector needs to move to pin 1 of the blue connector.

blu/yel is cruise control and not used on the dx.

blk/red, grn/blk, and blu/blk are all automatic transmission specific wires and may not be needed on a manual, but doesnt hurt to connect them.

blu/red is the ABS (antilock brakes) wire and not used on the dx.
Old 10-14-2012
Registered!!

Man!
Thanks a lot gearbox!
I was waiting for them.

It's a shame I can' see the diagram you've been looking at, but it's still better than nothing.

This is between canadian clusters, what about canadian to us? But I don't think I would do that since I want the mileage in KM not Miles, same for speedometer.

Thanks again!
Old 10-14-2012
Registered!!

One thing, suppose I'm doing something wrong in the wiring (like not waiting for you reply and following the original diagram for US vehicle only), will it damage the electrical system if I plugged it ?
Old 10-14-2012
Premium Member

possibly. im not sure which wires will get screwed, but i know you could blow something if you dont rewire it properly. just use the diagrams in the #181 post of this thread up above and the info i just posted. those are the only differences. if your car doesnt have abs but the new cluster has an ABS light, you may need to ground the abs wire instead of connecting to the cluster, otherwise the light will stay on.
Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

I didn't quite get what you said about the ABS wire.
How can I ground that wire if my car doesn't have ABS?
Are there wires on the cluster itself?
I thought the cluster itself only had socket for the connectors that belong to the car wiring harness.

By "wire", are you referring to a "pin"?

Last edited by Thaik; 10-15-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by hdave
in canada the special edition is pretty much a base civic
it has: auto, a/c, power windows, keyless entry
and thats it
i thinjk its like the vp
Wrong.
I have a SE and it doesn't have power windows but power locks yes.
It also has tinted rear windows and glass, CD player/radio and tachometer.
Old 10-15-2012
Premium Member

i think every civic has all the wires in the harness already. so you probably have the abs wire on the connector. you would need to plug it into the cluster, then cut the wire from the harness and ground it to metal chassis. so basically it would go from the cluster/connector to a body ground. just make sure the wire pin is in the proper position first.
Old 10-15-2012
Registered!!

So this means the ABS wire is totally disconnected from the wire harness of the vehicle after you cut it and ground it?

I find it kind of weird to do that, I don't know much about electrical stuff, guess that explains it.
Old 10-16-2012
Premium Member

i believe so. the bigger gauge swap thread has the details somewhere near the end. all you are doing is turning off the abs light on the cluster. you dont care about the car harness end since there is nothing that it connects to.
Old 10-30-2012
Registered!!

k-babs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone. So I have an 02 dx and have tried switching (what I was told was) an 02 ex cluster in. The tach and speedometer worked, but the temp gauge and the fuel gauge don't work. Reading through the thread it doesn't sound like I should have to change the fuel or temp wire even if this did turn out to be a newer cluster.

Does anyone have any advice? Did I just end up with a bad cluster?
Old 10-31-2012
Premium Member

more than likely a bad cluster. those 01-02 model year gauges had all sorts of issues.
Old 03-09-2015
Registered!!

onedr is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry for bringing up a 3 yr old thread but i didnt wanna make a new one if its about this.

for the blue plug on the 04; pink wire (#19). Does that not get reconnected to anything or nah?

im tryina make a harness instead so i can switch back to stock if i ever decide to. but i'm going crazy wondering where all these loose wires go
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

Hey you have the same idea as I had.

I just did it. I connected a second harness and I admit, it is a lot more hassle than simply repining the wires. The way you have to do it is if you can't find the corresponding wire colour within color connector, look at the other one.

That's how I did it, look within the same color connector, if it's not there, it's probably in the other, if it's not there too, it's not used.
What you should NOT do is look at the other connector before looking within the same color connector.
In my case it was the White Red Pin 17 of the Green Plug EX, I connected it to the White Red Pin 1 of the Blue Plug DX when there was one already in the Pin 15 of the Green Plug of the DX.

About the Blue connector of the DX, pin 19, yes it is connected to the pin 2 of the green connector of the EX.

I'm going to upload a modified diagram of how I wired everything together, currently working on it.
My car is a Honda Civic 2004 SE (Canadian model).

I too decided to make a second harness just as you in case I want to switch back to the stock one and I was right since my cluster seem to be defective, sometime, the needles and odometer would turn off randomly and suddenly turn back on, when it happens, I plug the old one and it works while the new one doesn't.
Old 07-09-2015
Registered!!

Here's my personal modified diagram, it's a representation of my wires, their colour and how I wired them.

Everything works perfectly except for the ABS light, I haven't tried grounding it yet.

Vehicle: Honda Civic 2004 DX-SE (Special Edition - Canadian Model)

Here's two diagrams, one without the links and one with them.

The notes at the bottom are actually from gearbox within this same thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Unified.jpg
Views:	2349
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	87868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unified&Linked.jpg
Views:	8356
Size:	355.2 KB
ID:	87869  

Last edited by Thaik; 07-09-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2015
Registered!!

Jose2886 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey !! I am new here I own a Civic VP made in USA 2004 and I want to add the led cluster can someone email me the diagrams to change the wires .. Please !!

jr_letranc@hotmail.com

jose.letran@xerox.com

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY cluster swap 2003 - 2004 dx also available for other models