DIY: Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NightHawk04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation DIY: Parking Brake Adjustment

This is taken from ALLDATA 7.60 Copyright 2003 (I think that makes this legal now)
Iv seen people explain how to do this by rolling backwards, so I thought Id post the right way to do it. Sorry my scanner is not operational, but its self explainitory.

1. Pull the parking brake lever with 196 N (20.0 kgf, 44.1 lbs.) of force to fully apply the parking brake. The parking brake lever should be locked within the specified number of clicks.
Lever locked clicks: 6-7
2. Adjust the parking brake if the lever clicks are not within the specification.

Adjustment

NOTE: After servicing the rear brake shoes, loosen the parking brake adjusting nut, start the engine, and press the brake pedal several times to set the self-adjusting brake before adjusting the parking brake.

1. Block the front wheels, then raise the rear of the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported.
2. Remove the console cover(where the rear cup holder is).
3. Pull the parking brake lever up one click.
4. Tighten the adjusting nut(it should be in the upper left quadrant of where you took the console cover off of) until the parking brakes drag slightly when the rear wheels are turned.
5. Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the parking brakes so not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.
6. Make sure the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled up fully.
7. Reinstall the console cover.
Old 04-25-2005
Registered!!

NightHawk04 is an unknown quantity at this point
This is for the 2003 1668cc 1.7L SOHC (VTEC-E) , but im sure its the same for all the 7thgens. Sorry i didnt see the subforum for DIY
Old 04-25-2005
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
good diy!
Old 12-09-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: DIY: Parking Brake Adjustment

there is no need to do all that.

just pull up the Ebrake, and put ur car in reverse. then reverse about a hundred feet (some people may need more).

it will auto tighten (or re-tighten i should say) the brake drum/shoe
Old 10-12-2017
Registered!!

metalhed454 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a 2002 EX w/manual tranny, there's a cup holder piece directly behind the console, with a screw on each side. Once I removed the screws, the bottom of this piece came out ok but then what - pull down from the top? The upper portion of this piece doesn't want to let go to allow me access to tighten the ebrake cable 1/2 a turn.
Old 10-12-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I found it easier to adjust if I completely took off the center console.
Old 10-12-2017
Registered!!

metalhed454 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a 2002 EX manual tranny, there's a cup holder piece directly behind the console, with a screw on each side. Once I removed the screws, the bottom of this piece came out ok but how do I get the upper part of the piece out - pull down from the top? The upper portion of this piece doesn't want to let go so that I can gain access to the adjustment nut for the ebrake cable.