DIY: Radar Detector Hardwire

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nakattk is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb DIY: Radar Detector Hardwire

When I was looking for information on this subject I couldn't find much. So, I decided to do my first DIY on something simple like this. This shouldn't take to long for anyone. It took me about 30 mins mainly because I had to keep going back inside because it was over 100 degrees that day and HUMID.

Tools needed:
Small blade flat head screwdriver ( to take out trim pieces)
Phillips Head screwdriver
Straight radar detector cord with fuse holder

-First: Take the fuse box cover off, then the black plastic drivers side under cover, then the upper side panel trim piece on the side of the consol. See pic below of pieces to be removed.

-Second: Unscrew the screw that holds the coin box in place and pull the coin box out a little at the top. You don't have to take it all the way out. See pics below.

-Third: Start the plug end of you wire at the location you want the radar detector. I started mine right above the rear view mirror. There is a lip at the top of the windshield where the headliner meets the windshield. Take a flat head screwdriver and start pushing the wire into the lip opening. The wire will stay up there if you push it in far enough, but don't push to hard. Do this all the way to the driver's side window pillar. See pic below.

-Fourth: Use the flat head screwdriver to open the pillar. Then snake the wire down the pillar and trough the side panel that you opened in the beginning. See pics below.

-Then past the coin box and ends trough the opening in the pic below.

-Fifth: Now it's time to wire it up. Strip the end of the power wire and pick a fuse. I used the Acc. fuse, but you could also use the radio fuse if you want. Picking the fuse is up to you. Wrap the bare wire around one of the blades on the fuse and push it back into the fuse box. You could also use a fuse tap, but that would be harder to push back into the fuse box. If you want a fuse tap you can get them at radio shack, but the other way is easier and free. Next find a good ground. Any screw or bolt that is connected to the chassis that won't get wires in the way of the gas or brake. See pics below.

-Then just take the extra wire and twist tie it out of the way of everything. See pic below.

-Put everything back together. And the finished product. No wires visible, but the connection of course. See pic below.

Like I said pretty easy to do. This was my first DIY so, I hope I did everything right as far as writing this up on the forum. And I hope the pics show up. I think all DIY's should have pics. It makes everything easier for everyone that wants to try the DIY. Also I take no responsibility for anyone who does this DIY and messes something up. I did this step by step like above and it all worked fine for me. Thanks to everyone who reads my DIY. Hopefully you don't think it sucks. Oh and please excuse the car being a bit dirty I am cleaning it after I write this DIY. Reviews would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
great location for the dectector!

I have mine in the same exact place...
Old 06-27-2006
Broken Arm, How Am I Suppost To Shift
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

down_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusteddown_ should not be trusted
unfortunatly if its a 360 degree detector (can sence signals behind you) it wont work properly up there, i use to put it up there.. untill i found that out.
Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

According to my detector as long as the side laser sensor has a clear veiw through the back window it will work. So far mine has worked just fine. Mine has a 360 degreee detector. And it has a clear view through the back window where I have it. But with my DIY you don't have to put it up there if you don't want to.
Old 06-27-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nakattk
According to my detector as long as the side laser sensor has a clear veiw through the back window it will work. So far mine has worked just fine. Mine has a 360 degreee detector. And it has a clear view through the back window where I have it. But with my DIY you don't have to put it up there if you don't want to.
Correct! Agreed!
Old 06-27-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Are you serious with that fuse panel? Ay carumba.
And why is the ground wire so long?
Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

First of all what's wrong with my fuse box? And second who cares how long the ground wire is. It's just a ground wire. That's the easiest place I could find close. Someone needs to tell me what is wrong with my fuse panel. It looks normal to me. The wire in the fuse box isn't going to hurt anything if thats what he's talking about. What Ay carumba? And who uses that phrase anymore.

Last edited by Nakattk; 06-27-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
You got a wire just jammed into the fuse panel along with a fuse. That's not very safe. I guess I could have told you how to fix it though instead of making fun of you.
Go out and buy a Add-A-Circuit at any auto/hardware/miscellaneous store, it's about $15. It plugs into the fuse panel slot, that fuse plugs into it, and the wire goes into a wire leading into the Add-A-Circuit specifically designed for this application. This is the second time today I've explained this gadget on this forum.
Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
nice write up, moved to the diy section.
Old 02-02-2011
Registered!!

dlprince is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Radar Detector Hardwire

where have the pictures gone?
Old 02-02-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: DIY: Radar Detector Hardwire

6 years old the last post... prolly deleted from the original pic hosting site.