7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

DIY: Trunk Cylinder Re-pin (Old pins to New Cylinder)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onedr is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY: Trunk Cylinder Re-pin (Old pins to New Cylinder)

my existing trunk lock was bent and mangled from a break in, but was still semi-functional, so I grabbed another 7th gen trunk lock from the junkyard as a donor.

I found most of my info on (http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threa...re-pin.208118/) up until picture 7 so thanks to firejackal.

-To take the trunk lock off I followed the first step/picture in the link. Only difference here is there'll be (2) 10mm instead of 1.
I don't know if this makes a difference but I made sure the trunk lock had the same code as the one from my car being (S5A).

-Follow the link steps for disassembly until #7

1) So here I got my new trunk cylinder, and it didn't just "slide out" so easily as the other DIY link so instead, I put my existing key inside. Wiggled the key around while pulling only on the cylinder and it eventually came out.

2)(Definitely do this over a table) -If you look at the cylinder (w/ the key still inside) you'll notice a corresponding "S5A" on it, we'll consider that the top half. Also as long as the key's in the cylinder, most of the pins shouldn't fall out.

Now considering my situation, I didn't need the new pins since I just needed the cylinder body so I just pulled out the pins w/out a care. But if you want to keep the pins, tape the bottom half (covering the pins). Put your thumb on the bottom half, pointing finger along the top half (covering the pins), and slide your key out. You'll feel the pins slowly poke out.

-From the top half, take out each pin 1 at a time, along with it's spring. (Notice how smooth the pin springs back up once pushed in). Once that's done, peel off the tape from the bottom half. (I say peel because you wanna peel the tape along side the cylinder, not up and away from the cylinder or else you'll just take out all the pins at once and **** up the order). Do same thing w/ bottom half as you did top half.

I don't know about you, but I like to draw my **** out because I get confused very easily. One side of each half pin will have a stamped X and a number (X#) & the 1 whole pin will have a Y#

3) Now I took my old lock, put the key in, held the cylinder and slid it out. Now these are the pins I wanted to keep so I did step 2 carefully.. even with the drawing..

4) Took my new cylinder, and put in the springs & pins starting from the bottom half. When putting in the old pins into my new cylinder it was tricky because the bottom end of the pin would keep going in the wrong hole (lol), but knowing now, what you're gonna want to do is start from the back and work your way to the front. If the bottom end of the pin keeps on going in the wrong hole, use a paperclip and stick it in the key hole to guide the pin straight. You'll know when the pin isn't sitting properly because it won't spring back up.

Here the big pin in properly, and the middle one is crooked.

keyhole view

bottom view, where it is right now, it should be in the hole to it's left.

Once the bottom half was done, I taped it off so I could work freely on the top half without having to worry about my bottom half falling out.

5)Once both sides were done, I slid my key in and took the tape off. Made sure all the pins were suppressed and flush with the rest of the body.

6)once it was flush, i put the cylinder (w/ the key still inside) back into the housing, aligned it like in the picture, turned the key to make sure all the pins sat properly, slid my key out, and everything locked back into place.

7)Then I continued to reassemble everything like in the link provided.

Last edited by onedr; 03-13-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: DIY: Trunk Cylinder Re-pin (Old pins to New Cylinder)

That's cool.. Is it not interesting that the detail Honda goes to (5 pin sets) and the only thing it does is keep out the honest people (who would never break in someone's trunk) The crooks just mangle everything and get in. Had a friend with a new Honda someone broke in and mangled the ignition and trunk. Then the police came along and dumped fingerprint dust stuff all over and got it all over the seats. What a mess.