7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

DIY: bypass cruise control or fog light switch (sedans)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
DIY: bypass cruise control or fog light switch (sedans)

if youre like me and need the space that the cruise button occupies, but dont want the switch hanging around behind the dash getting lost or pressed by mistake, this mod is for you. basically we are going to hardwire the switch to be "always on" without the switch actually being there. so take off the side trim panel by removing the screw, pop out and unplug the cruise main switch (not the steering wheel switches). unplug the cruise switch harness and cut the plug off. i havent checked yet, but i believe the cruise connector may be an exact fit for the oem coupe fog switch. i hope it is. anyway now you should have 5 bare wires hanging out. tape up the blk wire, its just a ground for the green indicator light. also tape up the red/blk and red wires that are for the dash lights (or use them for some accessory like interior leds if you need a dash light power wire).

take the BLK/ORN wire and connect directly to the LT GRN wire. you now have put the cruise back to ON mode and are ready to go. no more switch in the back of the dash and worrying if its on or off. it stays on forever and all you do is use the steering wheel controls to operate the cruise. if you are worried that we just removed a fail-safe device if the cruise does not disengage, dont worry. there are still 3 more ways to disengage the cruise. one is to press the cancel button on the steering wheel control. two is to press the brake pedal. 3 is to move the shifter to neutral (auto) or press the clutch pedal (manual). any one of these 3 actions will cancel the cruise function by interrupting power to the cruise control unit. you do not need the main button for any reason.

well i actually did the easier version and removed the oem fog light switch instead. i just cut the harness plug, taped up all the wires except red/yel. you can then connect red/yel wire to any +12v power source like ignition, cig lighter, park lights, etc that you want to turn the fogs on. i tapped mine to the park lights so now when the park light is used, the fogs also come on.

Last edited by gearbox; 10-10-2010 at 08:15 PM.