7th Gen Do It Yourself Articles Look here for anything and everything you want to do yourself for your Civic and save money! If you can't find what you were looking for here, what about writing an article yourself? Hep appreciated! Questions on how to do are better suited in the Mechanical issues section

CLASSIC DIY: VafcII complete fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
CLASSIC DIY: VafcII complete fix

Contrary to what people say. VAFC2 is the only one that will work on our 7th gen cars running D17 engines. With that in mind, while installing the unit i noticed that the manual that came with the thing does not have our car model listed but it does have our engine D17 listed... its listed as EU3 or EU4 in the book which says to use diagram H8-a... this is wrong.. it will get u the right install but not all the wires.. yes i know there is another thread that says its missing the VTM wire... but it is also missing another wire.. the TDC wire.. when installing the VAFC2 u should follow diagram H7-b which shows u were to connect the VTM wire and TDC wire.. but DO NOT connect the VTC CAM SIGNAL wire cause we do not have that on our cars... that wire on the ECU is for the Secondary 02 Sensor and not the VTC.. just tape it off and put it to the side cause its the only wire that wont be used.... the diagram also shows where to connect the VTM wire.. hope this helps with everyones install.

*Here is the updated wire diagram. I don't know what benefit the TDC will give, but it's better to just have it hooked up. Thanks for the info. ~gearbox

The second piece of info you need to install this thing is the vafcII harness color code from the manual. This will show you how to match up the harness wires to the ecu wires. This diagram is ONLY for showing what each color means and whether the wire should be cut or spliced. The diagram above actually tells you where to wire them on the car.

Enjoy, ~gearbox.

Also you should know that the air/fuel ratio most likely cannot be adjusted because the ecu on 01-04 civics will adapt and counter any changes made with the vafcII. So I guess it's still useful to monitor engine functions like rpm, voltage, etc.