Japan Hit By 8.9 Earthquake followed by sunami - Honda Civic Forum

Advice If you something on your mind and feel like asking for the advice of the other members, the Advice sub forum is the place to be.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2011   #1
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough
Japan Hit By 8.9 Earthquake followed by sunami

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but i though everyone should know what is going on in japan.

Quote:
A massive surge of water is moving across Japan after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck off shore, prompting a four-metre tsunami.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...26481#42026481
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...quakes_all.php

*live stream*

sucks things like this happens but thats life i guess just wanted everyone to know.
SpeedDownZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #2
Administrative Rice. WAT?!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of
Re: Japan Hit By 8.9 Earthquake followed by sunami

I've been watching *shudder* Fox News watching the coverage. ***** nuts. Just glad my cousin's ship was well out of the area by the time it hit. He was on deploymet, and his ship is on it's way home already, in Hawaii already, actually. Sure, he got a tsunami warning, but it was a non-event like last year's.
xRiCeBoYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #3
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud ofxRiCeBoYx has much to be proud of

a 6.6 magnitude quake just hit Nagano, different fault line than last night's 8.9 near Sendai
Old 03-11-2011   #4
Johnny Tran stole my S2000 that I had over $100K in mods.

VTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to beholdVTEC-4.0 is a splendid one to behold

Been on CBS,NBC,Fox,and CNN all day.Scared the sh*t outta me when I heard tsunami warning for So Cal.Hope the people in Japan are okay.
VTEC-4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #5
Super Moderator

sdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to behold

Honestly, when i was there, when some catasthrofe hit some other country, there would be a heavy silence until the news said "there are no japanese victims". They would simply start laughing and joking.
When a catasthrofe happened in my country, they did the same. After the no-JAP announcement happened, they start making jokes and even said "see, that what happens to these savage guys. Who told them to be born there?".
I was right behind them, and all knew i spoke perfect japanese and that i was from that country. Also, they treat 2nd gen jap like me as trash. you guys would not like me to tell what they said about the WTC...
So, no fraternity from me.
Just want them to keep supplying the parts i need for me car and that the few ones that i know are not an A$$ are OK.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-11-2011 at 06:02 PM.
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #6
Administrator

My buddy in Yokosuka said there's no visible damage. Transportation is terrible in norther Japan right now, and the area around Sendai is hella hurting right now.

Oh, and since I've been ranting about it everywhere, the problem with the nuclear plant isn't as bad as the news is making it. Is it bad? yes. Is it gonna melt down? Highly unlikely. I'm just ranting because I feel it's gonna spark some anti-nuke activism in the US, giving people the "evidence" they need to prove nuclear power is bad.

Why does that bug me? I was a mechanical engineer in the navy. I feel I have more of an idea of what's going on with that issue than most impressionable people watching the news.
Old 03-11-2011   #7
Super Moderator

sdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to beholdsdaidoji is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, worried about my friend that is in Sendai... He is out of ordinary jap. no hidden faces like most.
and yes, agree on the nuke plants. they should go off-line, but will still be safe. they designed to take worse.
Old 03-11-2011   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji View Post
Yeah, worried about my friend that is in Sendai... He is out of ordinary jap. no hidden faces like most.
and yes, agree on the nuke plants. they should go off-line, but will still be safe. they designed to take worse.
They already shut the reactor down, but the problem lies in circulating water long enough for heat due to fuel decay to dissipate. They're usually ran off of the power the reactor "makes," backed up by diesel generators. The generators are flooded, so they're powering the giant water (the mysterious coolant they speak of) pumps, which will only last for so long. Like you mentioned, yea, they're designed to take worse, but I do understand where they're coming from when they say they don't want to cause damage. If that were to occur, yes, the radiation could pose a threat. However, I do feel the engineers they have working are competent enough to "quickly" tear down the diesels, dry them out, and get them back up before the batteries run out of juice. Seeing as how it's a land based reactor as opposed to a sea-going reactor I worked with, they can perform those kinds of emergent repairs a lot safer than we would have been able to do out to sea with limited supplies.

The thing that gets me is they keep saying **** like "meltdown" and "radiation levels near the plant are 8x normal." Again, in my experience, normal radiation levels from a nuclear power plant are EXTREMELY low. The eight times normal they refer to is far below any point where you'll see detrimental health effects, unless you sit there for hours within the area they're measuring. Even then, if you sit there for hours, it'll look like you got sunburned. That's. About. It.

I had this whole thing typed up, but, in hindsight, was way the hell too technical for me to want to post it up, even while dumbing down the language.
Old 03-11-2011   #9
Super Moderator

Ah, yeh, they are pretty tight A... when coming down to safety (being the reason we drive cars they designed and built. Except maybe for the auto trans, that is
Very little goes under with these types of matter (maybe that would be a cause of concerns to us, though...)

Oh, yeh, my boss in US is right now stranded in there, he was in a meeting and narita is down...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-11-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2011   #10
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Scary ****
BlueEM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #11
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Honestly, when i was there, when some catasthrofe hit some other country, there would be a heavy silence until the news said "there are no japanese victims". They would simply start laughing and joking.
When a catasthrofe happened in my country, they did the same. After the no-JAP announcement happened, they start making jokes and even said "see, that what happens to these savage guys. Who told them to be born there?".
I was right behind them, and all knew i spoke perfect japanese and that i was from that country. Also, they treat 2nd gen jap like me as trash. you guys would not like me to tell what they said about the WTC...
So, no fraternity from me.
Just want them to keep supplying the parts i need for me car and that the few ones that i know are not an A$$ are OK.
When the WTC incident happend I was abot 20 minutes away in school in the 11th grade. I was so mad at the world becuase at the time I did not know who was responsible for the acts and hearing your story makes me uncomfortable to say the least. But what seperate us from animals and some crappy humans is that we have feelings. Even after thinking that they probably deserve this based on your sorry I cant help but feel sorry for them and have the urge to help. But maybe It would be a different story I had been there in person and would have witness there inhumanity.
Old 03-11-2011   #12
Super Moderator

?
No, honestily I don't think they deserve it, but don't expect me to say "ahhh, you sorry puppy...". Pretty sure they would not do that to us.
I will need to rectify one thing - if i can, i would help on disaster relief, but i don't expect much from the human side from them except from the economical relief, is what i mean.
Many, many of them were pretty nasty with me and several others i know of just for us being officially foreigners... Even if genetically i am jap, i was actually outcast for technically being foreigner.

Very few exceptions apply. And i still respect the technical prowess of the Mazda, Honda.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-11-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2011   #13
Registered!!

Did not mean to come off like a azz just a little annoyed by your story cant believe that still to this day there are people that get happy beacuse of land off a land slide that wipes out a small city or flooding that kills thousands or the worst terrories attacks. But on earth no everthing evolves I guess.

Edit: you ninja me. No I did not mean you at all thats why I said maybe if I was there this would be different not judging you since I kind of understand where your coming from.

Last edited by SpeedDownZone; 03-11-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-11-2011   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone View Post
Did not mean to come off like a azz just a little annoyed by your story cant believe that still to this day there are people that get happy beacuse of land off a land slide that wipes out a small city or flooding that kills thousands or the worst terrories attacks. But on earth no everthing evolves I guess.
not to worry, guess i understood (being the reason i re-edited me reply so many times Did not think you were an AZZ, just thought i would need to clarify my position on this - it seems it was not passed on properly and needed the clarification..
Old 03-11-2011   #15
Registered!!

I understand your felling I grow up in the bronx and after the attacks there was this guy who said he was happy that the attacks happened and the US deserved it. Well after that comment me and my friends persuaded him to change his point of view bronx street style. So if you feel a way toward them because of what you experince first hand I cant blame you. Again like I sayed maybe if I was there I probably not forget that since iam a very unforgiving person. Better to drop this I guess since having mixed emotion will cloud judgement and things are not expressed the best of ways atleast on my part.
Old 03-11-2011   #16
Super Moderator

hahaha!
OK, sorry for threadjacking in this (above all others...) thread.
Last thing to say is that if i was there, i would be helping people (whatever i think of them) to try to get them to safety.
But if i ever see one guy trying to run down others to save themselves, am pretty sure i will take them down right there. And after all are safe, i would carry the passed out azz out to safety too.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-11-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2011   #17
Administrator

http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/1...e-explanation/

GREAT read for anyone that wants to understand what's happening with the nuclear plants. It's slightly technical, but is explained enough in-depth to help you understand. It supports my rage (see posts 6 and 8) against news crews, and their exacerbation of the situation.
Old 03-14-2011   #18
Super Moderator

Josh,

If the news report that the rods were exposed is for real i am afraid we might need to retreat our comments...
Old 03-14-2011   #19
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx View Post
http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/1...e-explanation/

GREAT read for anyone that wants to understand what's happening with the nuclear plants. It's slightly technical, but is explained enough in-depth to help you understand. It supports my rage (see posts 6 and 8) against news crews, and their exacerbation of the situation.
That, is an awesome read.
Old 03-14-2011   #20
Whachya lookin at?

Quote:
Josh,

If the news report that the rods were exposed is for real i am afraid we might need to retreat our comments...
What they mean by the rods being exposed is that they are no longer being cooled by water... and are heating up again to their melting point. If you read that long writeup Josh posted up you will notice that it really isn't a huge deal. Not only that, but they got the rods covered up a gain shortly after they were exposed
Old 03-14-2011   #21
Super Moderator

woops! updates are too fast...
Ok, soryy, sorry (edit after josh's reply right below - but i am freeeeeaaaaakiiiing ooouuuut! )

Last edited by sdaidoji; 03-14-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2011   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Josh,

an exposed fuel rod is STILL NOT A MELTDOWN.. I am NOT retracting any previous statements.

edit: and my friend just let me know that, on Fox News of all places, they just explained that the general population's fear of the overused word "meltdown" is ridiculous. I can't believe they're also over-zealously using the word "fallout," which implies the reactor(s) are going to freakin explode like a god damned atom bomb. That is NOT AT ALL POSSIBLE due to fundamental design differences in a reactor plant and an atom bomb. Had the reactors been designed like the Chernobyl reactor, then that would be a possibility. However, thanks to Chernobyl, reactors are no longer designed with a carbon moderator (the material in a core used to show down neutrons to induce fission) due it's reactivity property called the "temperature coefficient of reactivity."

If you want me to go into detail about that, I will. If nobody cares, then I won't bother.

p.s. Thank you, Tom, for actually taking the time to read that slightly long read about the ACTUAL situation with the nuclear reactors in Japan. You probably understand my rage at the media for exacerbating the situation, and using words like "meltdown" and "fallout."

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 03-14-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2011   #23
Whachya lookin at?

I sure do... everyone should read that, and I mean EVERYONE.
Old 03-14-2011   #24
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

+1 riceboy, these modern day reactors are way ahead of the old designs. and in japan of all places, there is no way they are letting it get out of hand. we havent seen a meltdown happen in decades. i do see the news posts on yahoo sometimes but usually dont believe much of it.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #25
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

I pray for those in Japan. Nature is a powerful force
danwat12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
+1 riceboy, these modern day reactors are way ahead of the old designs. and in japan of all places, there is no way they are letting it get out of hand. we havent seen a meltdown happen in decades. i do see the news posts on yahoo sometimes but usually dont believe much of it.
Like an old friend of mine said on her facebook, it's weird how no one on the news is talking to the US Navy about the nuclear "fears" in the US, especially since the Navy has hundreds of nuclear reactors operating on a daily basis on WARSHIPS and SUBMARINES, and have been for over 50 years with no accidents. Furthermore, said reactors are being operated and maintained mostly by 19-22 year olds with little to no college education.

That, and the navy has the newest built reactors in the US, with a freakin ridiculously powerful new one set to come out in the somewhat new future (in the new class of supercarrier).

P.s. Don't mind me. CF is one of my few outlets to vent my rage against the media, and their playing into the (no offense to anyone) ignorant masses, giving them a reason to fear nukaler power.

Oh, and I forgot where I read this, but in my research to make sure I'm spitting out valid information, I found out that US land-based reactors are designed to remain in tact after being hit by a jetliner.
Old 03-16-2011   #27
Registered!!

Fox news actually explaining things really. Wow i think someone got fired.
Its good to know that not everyone in goverment is a complete morón.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42097170...more_politics/
Old 03-16-2011   #28
Administrator

I think the only way I'll be pleased with the media's coverage of nuclear power is if I change my stance..

That said.. Nucular power is bad, mmkay..?
Old 03-16-2011   #29
Registered!!

Well i think even if everyone knew and and wanted a change it probably would not happen because all the oil lobbyists are going to still push money in peoples faces. And about the media, that will never change as long as people watch it. I think its just there to control people, tell them what to say, think, and spend there money on. The government wants to "protected you" so they run marathons on how terrorist wants to kill us, the government one day says sunlight is harmful unless you pay more taxes and they will find a way to convince the idiots of the world.
Now people just become complete neanderthal when it comes to something that they think will harm them. They cant seem to think for themselves and that annoys the living hell out of me. Do you remember the pictures of kids hiding under there desks to protect them form bomber plains or any type of attack back in the days pretty silly when you think about it but they still do it today.

so i guess what iam trying to say is people need to change for anything to do the same.
Old 03-16-2011   #30
Administrator

I posted this on my fb as well.. I felt it would be fitting to post it here, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I swear, if you're reading this, and I find out that you went out and bought potassium iodide pills in light of this nuclear incident, I will find you, and I will punch you square in the face.