Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

DIY Race Car (ok fine... track day car)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005
...ever grinning...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
So, I WAS gonna do AutoX with my car. Then I kissed the curb and fatigued my sub-frame. Oh, and this thread probably one of the best on this site. I appreciate every ounce of information! But what I wanted to ask is about AutoX cars in general. Since I got this frame damage, I'm getting rid of this car to get a CR-V (way more practical for what I need).

But I still want to AutoX. So I was thinking about a 5th gen coupe. They're lighter, and smaller. With the right components, and skill of course, do you think they would out perform most cars on the track? I drove a 95 coupe VP w/o power steering and with stock suspension and cheerio tires I could take 20 mph turns like butter at 40+ after getting to learn it for a few months. My 02 seems like it would be a little on the weak side for cornering compared to my 95. What do you think? I just want to find the best possible base to start with (and I really want it to be a Honda of some sort) because I want to take this to a serious level if I have the ability.

I've never done Solo or whatever the type of X you're talking about, but I've wanted to for about 8 months now since I've heard about it. I'd appreciate any kind of advice you can give me.
Old 10-05-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If you don't know how to drive, the car doesn't make a lick of difference. Pick anything you want.
Does a 5th gen handle better? I dunno, never drove one. It is lighter and does have the double wishbones which would lead one to believe it may work better and they're cheap as crap these days, but its not nearly as stiff a chassis. So there are tradeoffs. Obviously more is known about how to rig them up to work right, but you are correct, I wouldn't race a frame damaged car, even with a new subframe installed, and I wouldn't race a CRV. But dont start thinking about "getting serious" until you know what you're doing. In which case, pick a car, any car.
Old 10-05-2005
...ever grinning...

JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I talked to you before, may have been Zzyx (? name). But they said that the best practice is to pay the $30 entry fee and just do the laps. But I don't want to go into it blindly with just the knowledge I have about cars (which is fairly extensive). I know there alot of things online, but alot of them are probably like that one guy that someone made a thread about in the AutoX forum. Do you know of any books, websites, videos, or actual places that will give you crash courses on basic techniques? Your post was excelent, but I feel like I need more before I just jump in.

Also, what kind of AutoX are you talking about with multiple cars? Cause I was thinking about joining the Solo II...
Old 10-05-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
This thread had nothing to do with autocross... its a track day primer.
but there's nothing that will help as much as driving. Just go out and hit a few cones. Nothing you learn before you actually go do it will help.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
i forgot where i saw it but someone had a digital oil temperature gauge for track days, i forgot who it was too, i think it was a rectangle type screen mounted in front of someones tach and speedometer. know where it was? it was in one of these threads
Old 10-05-2005
Banned

01redJDM is on a distinguished road
thats boilermaker, I remember seeing that pic in his member's rides.
Old 10-05-2005
Registered!!

Pn0ybOiLiKehOy is on a distinguished road
ooh yea thanks man, u know what brand it is, i cant really make it out from the pic!
Old 12-21-2006
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough
Horsepower doesn't rule the road course
I swear to Zeus there is no better feeling than outlapping a mustang gt in a ****ing civic with 115hp on the coldest day of the year.

Another reason why learning on a low hp car is beneficial is bc if you **** up a corner, you pay for it ALL the way down the straight, and you learn from it. It only takes once to realize you ****ed up when youre doin 50 down a straight that you should be close to 100. The sheer embarassment wont allow you to **** up again...atleast not the same corner

Last edited by chawski; 12-21-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2007
Registered!!

chawski will become famous soon enoughchawski will become famous soon enough
I look forward to beating cars that cost twice as much in the future.
thats the beauty of autox...its 90% driver, 10% car. my buddy used to autox his cavalier and would consistantly beat guys in evos and vettes
Old 02-05-2008
Registered!!

IMWEZL is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY Race Car (ok fine... track day car)

And here is what not to do on a Auto-X...LOL!

Oh yeah that is me and yes I suck.
Old 02-12-2008
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road
Re: DIY Race Car (ok fine... track day car)

i know this kinda jackthread but whats a nice alignment on camber for daily driven but increases performance wise. is -2 camber all around, 0 toe would be nice for dd and not sacrifice the tires?