Auto X/Road Racing Auto X and Road Course Forum

The question barrage begins....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The question barrage begins....

Put your helmets on, I'm about to start firing questions like mad.... its suspension crunch time.
For the first round, I want the opinions of Autocrossers, Road Racers and (while I don't really condone it) Canyon Carvers. I don't want to know what you think is the best, or which one will drop the car the farthest... I don't care. I'm looking for cold hard facts and the justified opinions of these questions.

1. What suspension are you talking about? (list your whole set up)
2. Do the dampers have suffecient adjustment levels for common track conditions (rain, loose pavement, regular road, smooth pavement, concrete, sealed asphalt and race track)
3. Your opinion of the damper's responsiveness (into corners, out of corners, slaloms, etc...), basically, how fast does it respond, and does it do it in a well-controlled manner?
4. Do they do a decient job of swallowing up bumps?
5. Resistance to lateral hop? (i.e., hitting a bump mid corner and jumping sideways)
6. Suffecient travel length?
7. Ease of on-the-fly damper adjustment (front AND rear), and where is the ****?
8. Camber plates? And their ease of on-the-fly adjustment.
9. Fitment issues? (any trimming, grinding, clearancing, etc... to get them in)
10. Do you know the spring rates? (what are they)
11. Are they biased front/rear well to help neutralize the car?
12. Are the springs linear or progressive (if you don't know, just say so, don't guess)
13. Funny noises that you may wonder about on the course?
14. Ease of quick height adjustments (coilovers)?
15. General comments, gripes, issues, etc....

Thanks for your time, I'm sure I'll have more questions as useful answers come in.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 01-01-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wannabeblown is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I guess i'll break the ice....

KW coilovers
-500ft/lbs rear
-350ft/lbs front
Cusco rear upper strut
Progress 22mm sway/tie combo
SPC rear control arms
SPC rear camber kit set at -2.25
Neuspeed front upper strut
Neuspeed x-brace

The KWs are very stiff. I'm running them a half turn from full hard in the rear, and 1 turn from full soft in the front. With the front sway disconnected, understeer is virtually eliminated. The car tends to oversteer on corner exit, but i'm pretty sure that is driver error. "Lateral hop" isn't bad at all on the street, and damn near non-exsistant on a good autox lot, or road course. The front is easily adjustable with a supplied plastic ****, but the plastic **** supplied does not fit the rear due to interferance with the body. This is easily worked around with about 30 minutes and a dremel. Other thenn that the fitment is perfect. Absolutely no trimming, or fabrication. The height adjustment is easy, the adjustment ring locks in place with a hex grub screw. I have no unusual sounds on or off the course.
Old 01-02-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I'm interested in this too, but then I'm pretty much sold on the KW v.III double adjustible shocks are your friend.....
Old 01-02-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Mine will be
Neuspeed front strut bar
OBX rear strut bar
19mm rear sway bar
Poly sway bar bushings
JIC coilovers (8f/9r) [have to install] 15 way adjustable, camber plate
Poly control arm bushings [have to install]
SPC rear camber kit [have to install]

The coilovers are monotube and have dampening adjustment in the rear on top and in the front on the bottom. should not be that hard to adjust.

Right now there is a lot of body roll and moderate understeer. I plan on doing the rest of my suspension in a few months. I plan on getting lightweight rims and some azenis. I will play around with the front camber when i get the chance. i will get back to you in a few months.