Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

I'm back like the Herps!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all
I'm back like the Herps!

I'm back!

It's been a while, but I bought a 97 DX last weekend and I am back on this wonderful forum. My Volvo has a busted exhaust valve so I have to sell it.

How she (Toshi) is now...

She has 138k miles, a pretty rough exterior and needs a new timing belt along with a tune up (happening today). Manual steering, D16 engine (paper filter stock).

I plan to run this engine as long as possible, I am not going to modify it anytime soon.
I plan on getting full ebiach suspension kit with sway bars and upgraded brakes when I get rid of my Volvo (this weekend hopefully). I want to make it a formidable autocross car and DD.
I have no plans to fix the cosmetic issues in the near future, function first.
I am installing my kenwood deck and 2 350rms 10" subs with dual single channel amps. I will need to get some component speakers because the 2 stock from ones are completely blown. Most likely polk audio or memphis audio brand.

It is the same make/model/color as the civic that i owned a few years ago that is why I named her "Toshi" (mirror image in Japanese).
Old 09-04-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I'm back like the Herps!

Ah crap, he's back.. lol, jk. Welcome back!

and I'm sorry for this in advance.

Um.. Best be safe to not watch it at work. Just to be sure. Skip to 0:37 if it doesn't
Old 09-04-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back!

It's been a while,
Hello
I'm back like the Herps!
Title reminded me of something.....
We've had employees like this......I need to make up a 'welcome back' basket with Valtrex in it...
Old 09-04-2015
Registered!!

Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Thanks y'all

You are not going to believe it, but I couldn't get the crank pulley off, and I stripped the teeth right off the timing belt trying to remove it. So after impact gun, and hammer and heat and breaker bar etc. I am going to Honda tomorrow morning to see if they have the tool in stock. Damn it.

Anyways I'm mobbin my moms truck for tonight lol.
Old 09-05-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I got mine at o'reilly auto. They offered it for rent, I asked to buy it
Old 09-05-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Heya, mad dog, long time!
Old 09-05-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I got mine at o'reilly auto. They offered it for rent, I asked to buy it
good to know, I'll hit them up before the dealer for sure!
Old 09-05-2015
Registered!!

I went to auto zone and rented the tool for about $40. I finally got that damn pulley off!

I also did a full tune up... plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air cleaner, oil change, timing belt with water pump and tensioner, valve adjustment (one has to be off, making a lot of noise, I'll get it next weekend), coolant flush, new valve cover gasket and oil cap (the old one was missing the rubber seal and leaking), all 3 engine/trans mounts, fuel injector cleaner. I have the fuel filter, but ran out of time to install it.

next time...
Brake inspection/repair (it shakes under heavy braking), also I think something in the suspension might be loose, so I'll look for that too.

Toshi idles smoother, and has much better throttle response from idle. I don't know how much gas mileage it was getting, but I am assuming that will improve as well. top end is still gutless.
Old 09-08-2015
Registered!!

So Toshi has been idling up and down, I suspect a idea air control valve, but I will do the timing and fuel filter before testing for the idle air. I think I may have also adjusted one of the valves out of spec, one is clicking loudly. So this weekend I will check the valve lash too. It feels so much better with the new engine mounts.

I sold my old car (99 Volvo V70XC turbo awd tuned). So after I budget everything for the next couple of months I will see if I can afford the ebiach suspension kit.
Old 09-10-2015
Registered!!

Toshi, is shaking when breaking at high speeds and light vibration during 75mph+, so I am going to do a brake and suspension inspection tomorrow too.

I also removed my two 350RMS subwoofers out of my old car with the Kenwood deck. I ordered Polk Audio 6 1/2 and 6X9 speakers and new amp wiring and dash install kit with Honda harness. I will install that after I get the mechanical stuff fixed.
Old 09-10-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Nice! You're going to be bumping big time! Are you going to Dyno Mat or anything?
Old 09-11-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Nice! You're going to be bumping big time! Are you going to Dyno Mat or anything?
Why would I need dynamat when I have a loud stereo to mask the road noise? lol

I am going to insulate the plastic interior panels with one sided foam tape to resist rattles. Plus dynamat is expensive. Maybe mattress pad material for the headliner, if I get bored one day.

Window tint on the way too. This cars long angled windows create a nice greenhouse effect.
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

I rechecked and adjusted the valves, changed the fuel filter and adjusted the timing. Now she purrs like a kitten (two of the valves where .005 off) and has some more hp for sure. The idle surging seems to be gone as well. I think the fuel filter was clogged.

Fuel filters are the most neglected tune up item. I think the one I removed was the original.

Next is figuring out what is making the vibration. I checked the tie rod ends and ball joints, they seem to be nice and tight. So next weekend I will inspect the brakes and wheels for bends/warpage. I will also install the short throw shifter that I received this week.