Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

New guy in Montreal

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dorval Andre will become famous soon enough
New guy in Montreal

note: I just found you after signing-up on 'another' civic forum and already like this much better. Forums by generation, seems to be a lot more helpful replies etc...

Hello to all
My daughter just bought her first car, a 2005 LX coupe with a stick, from its original (lady) owner, 100% stock. Nice & clean, no rust, low-ish mileage (110K kms) and it rides nice & tight. Should be a reasonably trouble-free car for the next few years.

There's one little thing to sort-out on it so I thought I'd join-up and see what I can find in the forums here

I'm not a mechanic but for some reason, everyone brings their cars to me . I've done basic maintenance & brakes since the 80s so I love working on Hondas obviously.

Anyway, that's my story. I look forward to reading-up and hopefully contributing to the community.

Cheers

Andre in Dorval
Old 04-20-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New guy in Montreal

Welcome!

Check if the timing belt has been done or not.....
Old 04-20-2015
Registered!!

Yeah, I looked-up changing it myself and that job exceeds both my toolkit and my courage.

Nope, it hasn't yet. Aren't they scheduled at 110K miles / 176K kms?

That actually was key in the decision. I want her to drive this car for 4 years, then sell it while it's still at all appealing. She won't put 10K kms per year on it to I thought this should be ok.

I have put a deposit on it but a clause in the bill of sale that it's pending thorough mechanical inspection at my expense (tomorrow).

If I was wrong in my research about 110K miles / 176K kms, please.... do tell! (I'm in Montreal so 'extreme' climate)
Old 04-20-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

no, you're right...sort of.

I understand it as 160 000kms or 7 years. Maybe 7th gen it's 176 000km though.
Old 04-20-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's beyond the 7 year interval, so I'd say to get it done regardless of mileage (kms).
Old 04-20-2015
Registered!!

Hmm, this may be a deal / budget breaker then. TBD

I appreciate the input - many thanks, gentlemen.
Old 04-20-2015

Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

You can always try to negotiate the cost of the work into the selling price. I bought my Civic at 160 000kms (10 years old) without the belt being replaced. I explained to the owner that it was overdue and the entire cost wasn't deducted but it did bring the price down a bit.
Old 04-20-2015
Registered!!

Naw, can't do that. I already feel guilty about getting the nice old lady (seller) down as far as I did for my daughter's budget.

I just got off the phone with 6 Honda dealers around Montreal and they all had a different 'opinion' on when & what needs to be changed.

The general consensus seems to be that our Montreal climate indeed makes it a requirement every 100K kms.

So I called my trusty local mechanic (I'm so lucky to have these guys) and he said that if someone actually gets the belt done every 100K kms, we only need to change the water pump every other belt.

Part & labor (including the power steering / alternator belts, while we're in there): $320. Half of what I was being told by honda.

I can live with that.
Old 04-20-2015

The general consensus seems to be
Refer to your trusty owners manual for trustworthy information.
Old 04-20-2015
Registered!!

I found it most illogical to not get clear / consistent answers from Honda dealerships, hence the choice of words.

I won't have the vehicle / manual in my hands until tomorrow after my mechanic gives it a good once-over.
Old 04-20-2015

If you want to reference a manual before you get the car. There are pdf owners manuals online

http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/inf...-Coupe/manuals