Introduce Yourself! New member to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself and make some friends. Strangers = danger!!

Hello from Oregon!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CascadiaBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello from Oregon!

I'm CascadiaBlue...just bought my first Honda...always been a Ford Gal. Recently totaled my 2003 Escape with 189,890 miles on her...so many great adventures but she was getting tired...still, it was a tough one to say goodbye. I no longer need an SUV so I spotted a great 2001 Honda Civic EX.
Of course the check engine light came on when I was on my way home but it had already passed smog so whew! I got the notorious P0402 code but I am not thinking it's the cat, I am searching for a valve leak first. So...what did we do right off the bat? Replaced the spark plugs and found a terrible valve cover gasket leak so we replaced the valve cover gasket too. The heater wasn't heating but the car was starting to over heat so we flushed the heater core and out came a glob of something gross...topped off the coolant and burped it...runs fine now. So glad my son can help! So...the check engine light was off for a couple of days after all of this but came back on. Checked the code...same thing . If I don't let it warm up a minute or two I can back out of the parking space but as soon as it goes into drive it'll start, then hesitate, act like it's going to stall then take off. The car runs great. I get 28 mpg around town and 38-40 or more on the highway...I'm loving that! It's been strange driving so low to the ground after driving an SUV for years but I think I'm liking it more all the time...I'm pretty pleased with this car and it's in great shape for being a 2001...cute car! I'm a new Honda enthusiast!
Old 04-11-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hello from Oregon!

Welcome to the forum!

P0402? P0420.
P0420 on a car you JUST bought...Needs a cat (EDIT: Probably). That's one reason the car was for sale. Someone cleared the light so it wouldn't be obvious there's a problem right off the bat.

Last edited by ezone; 04-11-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-11-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-11-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Welcome! Hopefully you got a good deal on it if it's needs a cat.
Old 04-11-2015
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

welcome

Originally Posted by CascadiaBlue
I'm a new Honda enthusiast!
A lot of people catch that bug....hard not to like a Civic.
Old 04-11-2015
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

First off, welcome!

second, yeah, your car needs a new kitty. Or...... quick DIY fix to clear the light like a mechanical O2 simulator.. lol. It works, to clear the code so that it doesn't return, but ultimately doesn't fix the problem

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...simulator.html
Old 04-13-2015
Registered!!

Thanks for the welcome fellas! Well...it doesn't sputter or hesitate when I give it pedal to the metal...smooth acceleration and shifting...no smoke. Maybe the a/f fuel sensor or maybe the O2 sensor? I have to take it in for the airbags to be taken care of...will ask for diagnostics at the shop. I can do the cat or any sensors...but how in the world do you access the fuel filter in the tank?
Old 04-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Welcome to the forum!

P0402? P0420.
P0420 on a car you JUST bought...Needs a cat (EDIT: Probably). That's one reason the car was for sale. Someone cleared the light so it wouldn't be obvious there's a problem right off the bat.
Yeah P0420...that's the one! Even if it needs a new cat...not sorry...just a couple things and it'll be just fine...runs so smoothly right now as is..
Old 04-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but how in the world do you access the fuel filter in the tank?
Gotta pull out the pump (tank module) and split it apart in order to replace the upper section of the module that contains the filter.
Old 04-13-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Gotta pull out the pump (tank module) and split it apart in order to replace the upper section of the module that contains the filter.
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2015
Registered!!

Hondi is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome!
Old 04-18-2015
Registered!!

So I cleared the check engine light. Here's what I did...we took off the air filter and replaced it with a K & N...I always use a K&N air filter...cleaned out the intake with some Ocean Spray...did a few super accelerations on the highway...blew out big puffs of white smoke. Cleared. Also upped my MPG a little. 29.6 mpg around town and commute. Also replaced the cabin air filters....looks like my cat is just fine Tires are next...then a stereo...you need music to cruise! What tires are you running to diminish road noise?