HIDs and Retrofitting Discuss HIDs bulbs, ballasts, projectors and custom retrofits here.

Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini H1 install

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough
Post Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini H1 install

Ok after installing my first retrofit i though i should do my first Thread so bare with me. I will be explaining the basic for the newbies by a newbie, so hopefully we can all have semi proper retros and not blind on coming traffic.

Things used:
Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini H1 :$120 from theretrofitsource.com
DDM Tuning slim ballast :$ 35 from ddmtuning.com
Morimoto 4300k hid bulb :$ 20 from theretrofitsource.com
Oem headlight :found in front of the car
A oven :Happened to find one in my kitchen
and some other tools that should be around your house

So all in all $175 + shipping. I think much cheaper some of does cheap ebay projector that only light 2feet in front of your car.

first thing is the remove the lens of the headlight for that i used this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIig...layer_embedded

once you have removed that it should look like this
Name:  IMAG0024.jpg
Views: 2211
Size:  77.6 KB
Name:  IMAG0025.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  80.0 KB

There is two of everything in this pic
Name:  IMAG0051.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  116.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0020.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  66.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0022.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  55.0 KB

Ok let get started after you take your reflector out of the housing take your projector(this is a good time to put the rubber that came in the package) and insert it in to the h4 opening
Name:  IMAG0033.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  101.1 KB
remember to make sure the projector is in there right position there are makings on the back to help you out.
Name:  IMAG0034.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  86.5 KB
Once you have that come the part i had wrong and took me a bit of time to figure out. You now have to insert the h4 adapter that looks like this.
Name:  IMAG0036.jpg
Views: 2154
Size:  51.3 KB
now again be careful because i you insert this the wrong way its going to be loose and you projector is going to wobble around like mines did. I need to look like this with the little hump facing out
Name:  IMAG0037.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  39.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0039.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  46.7 KB

Now your ready to apply the nut that came with the kit. Make sure its tight but do not strip the treating. Make your projector does not move or wobble around. know your projectors should be in the reflector and ready to be put into the housing.
Name:  IMAG0028.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  189.5 KB
Name:  IMAG0031.jpg
Views: 2024
Size:  141.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0027.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  137.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0046.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  80.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0047.jpg
Views: 2023
Size:  124.1 KB

Now put the lens back on the headlight and tight it up and do the oven thing again when you pull it out i should be soft again and then you can push it back in place with ease.

Name:  IMAG0048.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  99.9 KB
Name:  IMAG0049.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  107.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0050.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  130.2 KB
and the light show by just one headlight
Name:  IMAG0045.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  54.2 KB

So there you go Ill post pics of it installed later and aim the lights once i get to the second headlight.

Fell free to add anything i might have left out because my mind it not functioning 100% right now iam so tired.

So anyway after this i hope there is no excuse for pnp hid on halogen headlights. thank you and enjoy.

Last edited by SpeedDownZone; 12-09-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini H1 install

excellent. any shots of them on the car yet?

can u give a wallshot as well? i wanna see how straight they are.
Old 12-09-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Man, those no-**** slip right in.. Nice! Gives me more motivation to do a morimoto mini retro in my sister's Honda Fit
Old 12-09-2010
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi

yea will do tommorow only did one today not enough day time plus to cold once sun sets.
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

how would this work on a 2004-2005 the back of the headlight is different then the 2001-2003 ???.
Old 12-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

are they adjustable with that kinda install?
Old 12-10-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'm installing these on my 02, I'll do a DIY for those years then.

If enough people are interested in these we can do a group buy.
Old 12-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

OP's headlights are 01-03's...
Old 12-10-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
are they adjustable with that kinda install?
yes. its mounted on the stock reflector. so if u wanna adjust the vertical/horiz, just use the stock adjustment screws
Old 12-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

yes. its mounted on the stock reflector. so if u wanna adjust the vertical/horiz, just use the stock adjustment screws
wow.. I went into special mode. I told myself it mounted to the stock reflector when I was looking at it..
Old 12-10-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

wow nice and clean. you can rotate the projector too until the aim is flat. then use stock adjustments for up/down (coupe or sedan) or left/right (sedan only).
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

Name:  IMAG0056.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  32.0 KB

This is just driver side 4300k morimoto bulb because the other was faulty.
Replacement ones no the way and ddm 5000k on the way to.Also this head light was not align in any way so still need to align once the lights get here.

also does anyone know where i have to plug the high beam to make it work could figure it out but to lazy to search for it
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

hey which shrouds did you use?
Old 12-10-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Mr_Plenty
hey which shrouds did you use?
Gatling Gun, they actually come with the kit there $45 separate so your getting basically getting the projectors for about $75.
Old 12-11-2010

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone

This is just driver side 4300k morimoto bulb because the other was faulty.
Replacement ones no the way and ddm 5000k on the way to.Also this head light was not align in any way so still need to align once the lights get here.

also does anyone know where i have to plug the high beam to make it work could figure it out but to lazy to search for it
you need a wiring harness that designed for our H4. its pretty specific. its on here somewhere (gearbox and myself made it). search for it. if u cant find ill take a look...im just too tired right now.
Old 12-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

use something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=270336488428

I have a pair of those from an old set of TYC headlights I used to have. I'm gonna use them on my sister's retro.

Here's how they're laid out on a 7th gen (01-03), in case you don't know.

| __ |

Looking into the female connector of the OEM H4 harness (from the car), from left to right, +12VDC, Low Beam Ground (horizontal pin), High Beam Ground
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

ah ok that shoud look cleaner than hacking up my wire harness but let me ask you my ddm ballast has high beam wires should that be able to work or is the current to high and will burn up the solenoids in the projectors.

On second though I think I have a volt meter if its 12v than it should be ok i think.

Last edited by SpeedDownZone; 12-11-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2010

u needa use a specific H4 wiring harness because when we (01-03) turn on our high beams, the low beam turns off. as you can see, this is a problem if u have "bixenon" because the shield would be clipped (making high beam) and the hid bulbs (lowbeam) would turn off.
Old 12-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

to alleviate that on mine, i just installed a diode between the high and low beam grounds so that the low beam still gets grounded when the high beam is activated.
Old 12-11-2010

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
to alleviate that on mine, i just installed a diode between the high and low beam grounds so that the low beam still gets grounded when the high beam is activated.
correct.

here is a wiring harness if u want DRLs.

Name:  H4relay3.jpg
Views: 2644
Size:  128.1 KB

ill draw one up later of a regular wiring harness for our H4s

and here is a diagram of how our H4 socket works

Name:  H4relay1.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  49.7 KB
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, those look great! Whats the chances of putting in 50(or 55, don't remember what those come in) watt bulbs? I've really been itching to retro and the ease of that install makes me think I would actually do that.
Old 12-11-2010

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Wow, those look great! Whats the chances of putting in 50(or 55, don't remember what those come in) watt bulbs? I've really been itching to retro and the ease of that install makes me think I would actually do that.
ive done some pretty crazy retros but jeeeze this is easy.

u open the headlights, put the projectors in, tighten the back, and put the headlight back together. omg jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Any reason you went with the H1 over the D2S projectors?

H1 are brighter and throw out more light than the d2s version. dont ask me why. lol

theres a comparison pix some where ill find it later. i gtg work.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 12-11-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Name:  Bi-XenonHID.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  39.9 KB

This is the setup I'm probably gonna use on my sister's fit, assuming there's nothing wrong with the setup. I've gone over it a few times and I don't see why it wouldn't work properly. Made this diagram back in June.
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

I got to aim the head lights today first time doing it so let me now took measurement like i was suppose to
Name:  IMAG0061.jpg
Views: 2061
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  IMAG0062.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  28.5 KB

here is how they look on my car
Name:  IMAG0057.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  70.1 KB
Name:  IMAG0058.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  86.9 KB

I know need new bumper will do that next week and i was able to get highs just by plug in it in the ddm high ballast with out losing low so don't know but it worked
Old 12-11-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

very nice. aiming looks good but the road test will tell you for sure. if they are shining in ppls mirrors too much on flat road, you may need to lower a bit. the proper aim is a 2 inch drop of the left beam at 25ft. you can use 55w ballasts with these and the projectors will be fine, but the shrouds will most likely melt unless you find a different metal version instead. and to be honest, these are already one of the brightest projectors out there so 55w not really necessary.
Old 12-11-2010
Administrator
Administrator

man, that looks real nice. Even more motivation to hook my sister's Fit up.

and lol, your car looks like it has some dilated pupils..
Old 12-11-2010
Registered!!

well actually i was coming from a hour away just now was able to see about three lanes on each side i was looking at the light off cars in front of me and it was in between most cars bumpers and license plates
Old 12-12-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lordhelmet
Any reason you went with the H1 over the D2S projectors?

H1 are brighter and throw out more light than the d2s version. dont ask me why. lol

theres a comparison pix some where ill find it later. i gtg work.
Nice edit quote.
Old 12-17-2010
Registered!!

ahailey will become famous soon enough

i've seen a lot of people black out the reflector when they did retros, i assume so it doesn't glare upward from the bottom, do these not hit the reflector and produce glare? doesn't look like it in the wall pics

p.s. you need to add hid fogs to light up that area right in front of the car

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini H1 install